PDA

View Full Version : Christian Americans...

Neal_Schon
07-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Warning: political content. Im putting it in this forum because its basically the religion forum. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

George Bush certainly won the Christian vote last November. By a lot. Im still perplexed by this.

Who agrees?

BluffTHIS!
07-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Birds of a feather flock together. While Kerry talks the talk, he doesn't walk it. His views on abortion alone show this. Furthermore, because of those views, and while ostensibly being Catholic, he would in fact be refused communion in lots of Catholic churches, and carefully avoids either attending services or attempting to receive communion in those places where such a refusal would occur in order to avoid the political embarrassment of it. The cardinal archbishop of Boston for example would refuse to give him communion, so if he allowed such an occurence to happen and become public, so much for maintaining that he is in fact a practicing catholic in good standing.

Neal_Schon
07-18-2005, 11:43 PM
You certainly know more about the Bible than I do.

But, Im pretty sure Jesus talks about helping the poor more than he does about abortion and gay marriage.

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 12:04 AM
That He did. But all those things are part of an integral whole that cannot be separated. And how exactly to help the poor is a question that different people come up with different solutions to, and forms a lot of the differing perspective of various political parties. Although I *tend* to vote mostly republican, neither party perfectly accomodates my beliefs as to how to accomplish all these things. Kerry would have had a lot more credibility with me if he were an atheist actually, rather than trying to act like something he is not.

Quaalude
07-19-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Warning: political content. Im putting it in this forum because its basically the religion forum. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

George Bush certainly won the Christian vote last November. By a lot. Im still perplexed by this.

Who agrees?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the result of massive effort by Fundamentalists and Catholic Bishops and should come as no surprise. Link, (http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/cc2.htm) link, (http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/bishop3.htm) and link. (http://www.yuricareport.com/Campaign2004/ChurchesBeginElectionRoleForBush.html) Not to mention Bush's obvious and frequent displays of faith, Christian references, and general pandering to the Christian Right.

MMMMMM
07-19-2005, 01:32 AM
As someone who has spent a LOT of time in the Politics Forum, I think this post would be better off there.

Reason: The Christian VOTE and GEORGE BUSH are the principal subjects of discussion = primarily politically oriented. "Christian" is more of an adjective in this context (unless just maybe your primary purpose is to discuss the Christianity aspect of it rather than the vote aspect of it, or to try to analyze what sort of a Christian George Bush is).

But more importantly, I'm coming over here to escape the Politics Forum. Deja Vu all over again scares me.

Neal_Schon
07-19-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(unless just maybe your primary purpose is to discuss the Christianity aspect of it rather than the vote aspect of it, or to try to analyze what sort of a Christian George Bush is).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am.

Basically, from my viewpoint, it appears that, despite what he says, Bush is a pathetically bad Christian.

I mean, if being is Christian is just saying I don't like gays and abortion, then yes, he is great.

But, it seems that whoever supports Bush based on religion seems to want to ignore things like the death penalty, the war and his less than brilliant outlook on welfare.

I wasnt sure where this belonged. So, sorry if it is the wrong forum. Basically, it comes down to why Christians are OK with the bad stuff he does (which seems to be more important) just because he supports them fully on a couple (seemingly less important) issues.

EDIT: Since this is a math forum. Is it true that:

Being pro-life + Being anti-gay > Being anti-death penalty + Being not for that war + Being the better choice for helping the poor

Neal_Schon
07-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Those are interesting links, but I don't think its a great idea to take those sources as fact.

Those websites aren't designed for news, more for opinion.