PDA

View Full Version : Another weird check, am I outthinking myself?

ike
07-18-2005, 09:46 PM
5 handed 100/200

Very good button raises, sb folds, I 3bet KJo from BB, button calls.
Flop: Ad Qd Jx
I check, he bets, I call.
Turn: 7x
check, check
River: 7x
check, bet, call

I don't see what betting accomplishes on any street here, but 3betting from the big blind and going into checkcall mode feels dumb. What am I missing?

DpR
07-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I do not think that many here will agree with me, but i think you did just fine. This is not a hand where I am lookign to extract the most. If you are ahead and bet, your opponent will either fold or bluff you off the pot. If you are ahead you have a chance to get to s.d as cheaply as possible.

ChewyMint
07-18-2005, 10:57 PM
I am going to agree with the other poster. Although this line is extemely weak/passive, I think it gets the job done. However, if you think your opponent is good enough to fold a weak ace, or a queen, I may bet the turn, and bet the river if I'm called on the turn.

ChewyMint

flawless_victory
07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
i dont think you played it bad... but i cannot remember a hand where ive seen the button bet after previous action like this and couldnt beat KJ. when he bets the river, he is almost gauranteed to have an A.

phish
07-19-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont think you played it bad... but i cannot remember a hand where ive seen the button bet after previous action like this and couldnt beat KJ. when he bets the river, he is almost gauranteed to have an A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. At this point he could easily put hero on small pair (not unreasonably given how hero played this) and is either betting third pair for value or betting even smaller pair as a bluff. He may have raised pre-flop w/ T9s and peeled on the flop hoping to make a straight. Folding here would be a mistake. You only need to win about 15% to be profitable, and you easily have that.

flawless_victory
07-19-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IHowever, if you think your opponent is good enough to fold a weak ace,

[/ QUOTE ]i mised this earlier...
LOLOL... jeez thats effing funny.

ike
07-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Button has T7s. I cry.

DcifrThs
07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Button has T7s. I cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems like you need to realize that good players are the ones you sometimes need to give less credit to, rather than more credit in terms of hand value.

-Barron

ike
07-19-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it seems like you need to realize that good players are the ones you sometimes need to give less credit to, rather than more credit in terms of hand value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this point in general but not really how it relates to this hand. The fact the he can (often, in fact) have 2 undercards to the flop seems to be a strong argument in favor of my line. The fact that he happened to make runner runner trips was surprising/funnny, but I wasn't at all surprised to see that he was trying to steal the blinds with T7s.