PDA

View Full Version : This Site Sucks

11-03-2001, 12:24 PM
I just bought a new computer. My old one was so slow and antiquated that was literally a piece of garbage, but I had gotten used to it. Now that I have my new one I can't believe how long I put up with the old one.

The same can be said for this site. The technology here is so slow, old and antiquated that it is a joke to experienced web users. But, if you are used to it you just kind of think everything is OK.

The administrators here need to go with the new technology. Infopop is one of the best I've seen and many web sites use it these days. Why not check out a few sites that use Infopop and see what's available? This web site is unbelievably slow and difficult to navigate. Why not come to the 21st Century?

11-03-2001, 02:37 PM
We looked at their UltimateBB a long time ago. It doesn't allow threaded views...everything is linear within a main post. This software is customizable via the preferences above. If you want to read things threaded (e.g. the default) you can. If you want to read things chronologically you can, if you want to read things in a mode similar to UltimateBB I believe you can as well.

We have no plans to change software in the immediate future because we haven't found any that we like as well.

Chuck

11-03-2001, 03:26 PM
Gerald,

I wouldn't want to lose the threaded views.

I have DSL broadband but what has helped even more for speed is using the third party browser Opera, especially for this site. It is lightning fast, especially if you don't screw with the default settings. You can open a frame in a new window and bookmark that. One problem is spellchecker.net does not work but I get so much speed I don't care.

Regards,

Rick

11-03-2001, 06:44 PM
I have read lots of complaints on RGP about the speed of this site. I'm not sure what people are talking about. It takes about all of 3 seconds to load the page for me. Am I just running good?

natedogg

11-03-2001, 08:12 PM
Interesting how Sir Gerald seems to be a new poster who is already griping.

The threaded format here seems easier to follow than the format on RGP or on Google/RGP. The page load speeds are usually about two seconds, and I use an isp.

Natedogg, do you think it's that you're running good, or are the RGP'ers running bad?

11-04-2001, 01:25 AM
lets compare apples to apples....compare this site to other poker sites.....seems to me they stack up very well

if that does not do it for you, then try comparing content

you can have all the others....I will stay here with the leader!!!!!!!

11-04-2001, 07:37 AM
I see no problems with the speed of this site. On occassion, the site seems to 'bog down' at certain times in the middle of the night.. But normally this site loads just as fast as others for me, although I might be luckier than most since I have T1 access.

Later,

CJ

11-05-2001, 07:16 PM
I don't like that the threads fall off the board after a time and become disjointed. With infopop, the thread comes back up top when someone responds. Threads should die when people stop responding to them, not because they time out. Isn't this board software free?