PDA

View Full Version : Who can lay this down - and when?

hanklove
02-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Limit Tournament at Commerce during the LA Poker classic. The blinds are up to 50-100 with the limits at 100-200. I have around 1800 in chips.

The table has been playing fairly tight with everyone folding to the preflop raiser or isolating him with a reraise.

I am two off of the BB with the ATc. Not stellar starting material, but I make it two bets. (Does anyone muck or limp?)

Folded to the cut off who three bets. He hasn't played many hands so I am immediately concerned. It is folded back to me. I consider folding as I am probably beat. I call - dreaming of a ten or some clubs. (Who mucks here?)

Flop comes A 6 4 rb. Now I am screwed. I bet in case he has Kings or Queens - he raises and I check call it down.

What is the best way to play this?

Martin Aigner
02-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Preflop I would have played it just the way you did. On the flop I would bet and either muck to a raise or call and hope that he checks the turn (or hit the T). If he bets out the turn again and you didn´t improve, you´re beaten. Muck.

Just my thoughts

Martin Aigner

CrazyAzn
02-23-2003, 11:58 AM
you have the right idea about betting into him on the flop in case he has an underpair to the Aces. but you have to ask yourself does this man have the balls to raise u on the flop w/ an underpair??? the answer to this question is most likely no, if he is not extremely short stacked. so when u are raised you are most likely drawing to 3 outs... which is where most of your money is lost in holdem. id fold to the raise here... even if has the potential to raise you w/o an Ace there is at least a very high chance he does have an ace and in the long run ud be better off folding.

peter

Greg (FossilMan)
02-24-2003, 02:47 PM
There is no point in betting the flop if you then intend to call him down if raised. He will often fold KK, QQ, and the like, but make you pay the max when you are beat. Sometimes he will be bluffing with KK or such, and you make a little more money. Better off checking and calling all the way if you're going to go to the river like that.

If you're going to be the flop, you should be planning on folding to the raise.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

TimTimSalabim
02-24-2003, 05:08 PM
I know you meant to type "bet the flop", but I actually like "be the flop", it sounds very Zen-like and cool. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Daliman
02-26-2003, 12:01 AM
First off, this is the kind of trap hand that has cost many a tournament. I GUARANTEE ATc is behind preflop. WHy invest any more money here unless you're desperate. I'd give him credit for a good hand and fold every time. Think about it; how many flops would you like here? 3 clubs, 2 Tens, and MAYBE and ace w/ 2 clubs, thats's it. Muck and survive to fight a battle in which YOU have the edge.

David
02-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Were you playing for a 10 high flop? You caught your top pair and still knew you were screwed. Why call preflop when you know that no matter the flop (almost) you will either have to fold or even worse find yourself in the situation you were in. Given your brief description of the table and your stack size I definitely fold before putting anything in the pot.