PDA

View Full Version : My views on catholicism

Cerril
07-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Alright, as any of you who read my posts know, I'm a pretty ardent Atheist here.

That said, my family ranges from nominally catholic to ardent catholic on my mother's side, with one of my cousins getting her master's in Theology at the moment. So I've been exposed to a lot of Catholicism, both good and bad.

My dad's side is more liberal, more 'right wing nondenominational christian,' and my dad is a worse Atheist than I am - worse in the sense of less well thought through, so my upbringing was about as neutral as anyone could manage. I did the church thing and the study thing but never any pressure from the belief or obesiance angle from my family.

Now I enjoy discussing religious thought, spent and spend a lot of time reading and talking and really am trying to get a handle on what Catholicism -really- is. So here to the meat of it:

--Something I really enjoy is the concept that it's possible that everyone is saved. I know that most Catholics tend to brush this aside as a 'we don't know, but' sort of argument, but I think the very real possibility is something that needs to be there to be even remotely acceptable as a religion. I've been down all the philosophical arguments about justice and mercy, what damnation really is, and all that, but it comes down to one thing - no person can be denied salvation who believes the truth when presented full in the face with it. If, when I die, I (and presumably DS) am presented with God and Jesus and the full knowledge of why everything is the way it is, I'm not going to stand there, point my finger, and go 'no, that's not right.' That, in my opinion, should be enough so long as I'm living my life honestly as well.

--Second, the pope. Now I've pretty well been swayed to understanding this whole infallibility thing, IF you swallow the rest of the religion. It's not a terribly rough path to get from the bible as a whole to Papal infallibility, once you get the limitations and are willing to take the first step. I'm not going to go that far, myself.

--Pope II. It's very nice of them to accept that there is a lot of human corruption within the church and has always been. Every office has been allowed to contain some pretty terrible people. This isn't news, but it's good to hear it. Once you get past that admission, with the Catholics saying that they aren't any less subject to being terrible people than anyone else (though understandably, it's sort of a given that bad people = bad Catholics. I'll buy that too, even if the official press engine seems to differ from time to time), it's easier to get down to asking whether following their code makes -better- people.

--Natural Law and Happiness. My outlook on life and morality is pretty much that I'm intending to be as happy as possible throughout my life. God or no, we shouldn't be here to be unhappy (and I'm not using 'happiness' in the sense of pleasure, more an overall satisfaction and sense of well-being) for even a moment. Circumstances differ, but within our power there's no point in willingly causing ourselves to be worse off if it's avoidable. Thing is, Catholic philosophers tend to agree when pressed on the point. It would be a bit silly, especially these days, to tell us that God is telling us that we should strive to be less happy. Sure, we might differ on whether or not it's the case that homosexual behavior, promiscuity, or birth control actually makes the invidual less happy in the long run, but that's quibbling if you get down to the root of the argument being the issue of fulfillment and a good life (not just afterlife).

--Obesiance. When you get right down to it, being Catholic is about obeying. You obey pretty much everyone above you (better be careful the person above you really knows more and has the authority you think he does, or you're just making a bad choice... logical fallacy of appeal to authority, et cetera, and no one's going to tell you it's morally correct), and to a large extent obeying what you're told is more important, morally, than whether or not they're right. That's where the atrocities and general badness we've seen come in. Now I understand the theory, that most of us don't understand a lot of what's right and it's better to take the word of an expert than go with our gut, since our gut is a pretty selfish entity most of the time. I tend to differ in areas where I'm particularly well informed, though, and that runs the gamut from issues of practice all the way to issues of doctrine. So that's where I tend to part ways with the Catholic Church and most organized religion in general.

But all that's not to say I don't admire a lot about the thought. If it were treated as an area of moral philosophy rather than doctrinal religion, I'd say they're pretty far ahead of the game. Most of the bad press comes from misunderstandings (some doesn't, and I don't mean the stuff about individuals). There's a lot of consistency, a lot of well woven together thinking and writing, but when you get right down to it, even the strongest points all come back to faith in the end, though it's hard to see.

BluffTHIS!
07-18-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but when you get right down to it, even the strongest points all come back to faith in the end, though it's hard to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the crux of the matter. As I have pointed out before, if the evidence for the truth of catholicism or any religion for that matter, was so overwhelmingly clear that it reached 100%, then you would really be forced to believe in that truth, and no faith would be necessary. But faith=trust, and God has always shown throughout scripture that He he places the utmost importance in that faith of the believer. However, even when through faith you do believe, you can still reject, and so like you said some degree of submission of both the will and intellect is necessary. Since we are all God's children through adoption, such submission is similar to that a child owes its parents in our own natural families. And since God is a good Father, there never should be reason not to freely give that faith, trust and submission. And if we fail through human frailty, then He is always ready to forgive us and allow us to begin again.

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 02:25 AM
So why would you screw up that somewhat reasonable idea by believing in stuff that is far more detailed and precise and allows so many people, including religious ones, to plausibly reject those specifics?

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 02:53 AM
I apologize that God didn't leave things vague enough to suit you.

Zeno
07-19-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's easier to get down to asking whether following their code makes -better- people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would add – “and the derivation of that code, and how it is propagated and how it compares to other codes that have a track record of also making people 'better'. Including codes that are not based or rely on supernatural beings.”

-Zeno

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 02:59 AM
And the fact that at least 80% of religious people that are pious, well meaning, and learned, believe in different specifics than you doesn't make you wonder if God did actually make things that vague? If not, what's wrong with those people?

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Since catholocism alone is the largrest religion in the world, though possibly now overtaken slightly by islam, not to mention Christianity's total numbers, your 80% figure is in serious need of revision.

Overdrive
07-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Catholics aren't the problem in the world today. Muslims are.

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 03:31 AM
Catholic, Buddhist, Protestant, Hindu, Muslim Jewish . I realize that Buddhism and Hinduism are not exactly religions as we know it but I think if you are one of them you can't be something else as well. Anyway what difference to my point does it make if Catholics are 30%? I still want to know what is wrong with the rest of them (including the vast majority of them who have seiously studied Cathlocism and are not swayed).

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 03:41 AM
Most of the people in the world who are not Christians have never been exposed seriously to the gospel. Most non-Catholic Christians never have actually studied or been exposed to Catholocism. And even the more theologically well-educated protestants just take on faith the statements of protestant theologians who say that the Catholic Church only dates to around 350 A.D., when if they would read for themselves the writings of the earliest Christians that date between 100 and 350 A.D., the 1st and 2nd generations of disciples of the aposltes and later, they would find that wasn't true since those writings clearly show that the early church did not espouse doctrines or manners of worship in any way similar to that of their own denomination.

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 03:54 AM
"And even the more theologically well-educated protestants just take on faith the statements of protestant theologians who say that the Catholic Church only dates to around 350 A.D., when if they would read for themselves the writings of the earliest Christians that date between 100 and 350 A.D., the 1st and 2nd generations of disciples of the aposltes and later, they would find that wasn't true since those writings clearly show that the early church did not espouse doctrines or manners of worship in any way similar to that of their own denomination."

Do you believe this guy Not Ready? Totally avoiding my point. Because at least SOME Protestants (not to mention Jews, Muslims, etc) HAVE read for themselves the writings of the earlist Christians mentioned. And almost all of THEM (I presume) have not been swayed. (I would think Not Ready falls into that category.) What's wrong with THEM?

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 03:57 AM
Ask THEM. Or ask GOD.

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 04:03 AM
I won't ask them. Because of course I believe that there is nothing wrong with them that isn't also wrong with you. And as a smart person how can it not concern you that they can be reading the same words you are, have faith in a personal supreme being, but not draw the same or even similar conclusions from those words?

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Why do different string theorists hold differening views of string theory? Why do different anthropologists hold different views of the precise course of human evolution? Do these things bother you?

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 04:28 AM
TERRIBLE argument. Because the scientists you mention have no trouble admitting that the jury is still out and that they easily might be wrong. Especially if they know other prominent scientists disagree with them. They simply make their own theory the favorite. And are willing to change their mind if more evidence comes in or a persuasive argument is presented to them.

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 06:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And are willing to change their mind if more evidence comes in or a persuasive argument is presented to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since as you remember I have clearly stated that I believe that believers of other faiths are for the most part sincere in those beliefs, then I make the assumption that the above statement of yours applies to them as well, but that they just have yet to be convinced.

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 07:01 AM
I'm talking about scientists. Not believers in other faiths. For instance when Bossjj was making his points I highly doubt that you were reading them to decide whether you should change to Judaism. That's what scientists do when they read what other scientists say that might include a differing view from theirs. You on the other hand, I'm quite sure, read his comments with the view that they must be wrong and the challenge was to find the flaws. That is not what scientists do when they know their theories are not universally accepted by other scientists. When they're not, IT CONCERNS THEM that they might be wrong. But that is not true of you (or you are too scared to admit it.)

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Not at all. The doubts of others in no way causes me to have doubts. For me to continue to have faith doesn't require that a majority of people on this planet share that faith, or even that a significant number do. My only duty when appropriate is to try to share that faith and belief. If they reject it for any reason, it does not cause me to have doubt. Now remembering that I believe that non-believers are mostly sincere in their beliefs and have the *possibility* of being saved without formally espousing Christian beliefs, I will give a biblical citation of the parable of the sower that might explain why *some* do not come to believe or persist in those beliefs.

Matthew 13:3-8,18-23:
[3] And he told them many things in parables, saying: "A sower went out to sow.
[4] And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them.
[5] Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they had not much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil,
[6] but when the sun rose they were scorched; and since they had no root they withered away.
[7] Other seeds fell upon thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them.
[8] Other seeds fell on good soil and brought forth grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
[18]Hear then the parable of the sower.
[19] When any one hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what is sown in his heart; this is what was sown along the path.
[20] As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy;
[21] yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away.
[22] As for what was sown among thorns, this is he who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the delight in riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful.
[23] As for what was sown on good soil, this is he who hears the word and understands it; he indeed bears fruit, and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty."

Peter666
07-19-2005, 11:55 AM
True. And the Muslims in the world today would not be the major problem if it was not for the Jews who started the mess via Israel.

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 07:46 PM
"The doubts of others in no way causes me to have doubts"

I KNOW THAT. That's why you can't use the analogy about scientists having different theories.

Meanwhile if the doubts of others never causes you to have doubts, then I assume you will say that about the arguments of others as well.

BluffTHIS!
07-19-2005, 08:09 PM
I was using that arguement in response to yours, and concede that it does not advance any arguements regarding my own beliefs. Regarding the arguements of others possibly causing me to have doubts or not, I think I have said before that just because reading something like that might cause me to have doubts about some specific doctrine or aspect of my faith, that doesn't mean I have to have a crisis of faith overall. Just because I might not be able to answer a certain poster's point, doesn't mean that he is correct, as it is equally possible that my knowledge of theology is insufficent to rebut, but that more knowelegeable catholic theologians would be able to do so. However, I would definitely investigate further in such a case if I thought the point were important enough. I will say that my views of catholocism are extremely logically coherent internally, when not taken out of context (thanks in no small part to Aquinas), and also as I have said that I believe myself to personally have seen in my life evidence of the truth of my faith, though admittedly evidence that would not be credible to non-believers.

Even if I do have a certain level of doubt, and to put things in the probability/gambling perspective that you view religion, I have seen nothing in these threads to convince me that my beliefs are not a "good bet", since the cost of that bet is extremely small in terms of this life, while holding forth the possibility of infinite gain. Even if I grossly overestimate the probability that my beliefs are true, I still am being laid close to infinite odds, assuming of course that the beliefs of another religion which has a restricted view of salvation are not true, a possibility for which I have seen no persuasive evidence. Naturally, believers in other religions would also look at their own beliefs in the same way.

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 08:36 PM
See now that didn't hurt did it?

Cerril
07-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Well sure. Mostly what I get from all of my study and discussion is that while I can admire a lot of what's there, I can't make myself believe it. I can open myself up to the possibility, but it's not the sort of thing where I can just choose or not choose to believe.

A lot of what I have to say is about how nice it is that this state of affairs isn't entirely dismissed by Catholicism.