PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taking students?

sng-sam
07-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Here's the situation. My mother-in-law needs an extra income. She is a single mother and a good person. She needs two jobs but can't be away from her youngest daughter all day. Although I personally am having some nice success right now, I do not feel I am far along enough in my SNG education to be her teacher. I would like to know if anyone would like to take her on as a student. If you require a fee for your lesson I still want to hear from you however I am really hoping for someone who will do this pro bono. (the pokergods will be pleased). Thanks for your time.

SAM

pergesu
07-18-2005, 07:29 PM
This is just my opinion, but I can't think of a worse situation to be in when learning to play poker for more income. I'm not even 20 yet, and though I love poker, it's often a lot to handle. I think the stress of playing poker, combined with needing to provide for a child as a single parent, is just really something she doesn't need in her life. Just seems like a really, really bad idea to me.

gildwulf
07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
This is probably a bad idea. There are plenty of jobs with flexible hours that don't involve the high stress and variance of gambling for a living.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I'm with pergesu on this one. Poker's fine for some extra money or ever just as a hobby, but relying on it as a primary part of your income to support a child--especially when learning--seems like a terrible idea.

checkers777
07-18-2005, 07:41 PM
If you can't afford to lose, then you can't risk playing.

sng-sam
07-18-2005, 08:40 PM
It's poosible I should elaborate. She has an income albeit a small one. And a Job. However she needs to make more. I will supply her with a bankroll for starting out say $330 for the 10+1 game and let her give it a go. I'm not suggesting that she go head 1st into this as an income source but simply explore this option through a very knowledgable teacher. If grocery money were on the line I agree this would be bad but it should be ok in that regard

SAM

skipperbob
07-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Two Thoughts:

1.) This is a really bad idea; forget about it
2.) Your M-i-L is prolly 45 - 50...I'll have some free time when I'm in Vegas for the "STTF-HUC"; maybe we could work something out /images/graemlins/blush.gif

benfranklin
07-18-2005, 08:57 PM
You left out a lot of important info, like:

1. Whose idea is this?

2. What is her poker experience?

3. Does she enjoy playing games in general, and poker in general?

4. Would she enjoy and be challenged by learning a new skill involving a lot of reading, studying, and thinking?

5. Does she have the time, and especially patience, to put in a lot of upfront effort before seeing results? (Like 20 hours of unpaid work a week for many weeks to become even average.)

You don't need to answer those here, just to yourself.

lacky
07-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I have tried to teach 5 people, all reasonably intellegent. 3 stuck with it for more than a couple months, only one makes money, and he still makes more doing other things.

I used to think this was something anybody with a brain could make money at, I was very wrong. If this is her idea and she came to you, great, help her out. If it's your idea, you will get the blame for all her wasted time and frustration.

Steve

YourFoxyGrandma
07-18-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to think this was something anybody with a brain could make money at, I was very wrong. If this is her idea and she came to you, great, help her out. If it's your idea, you will get the blame for all her wasted time and frustration.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very valid point.

sng-sam
07-18-2005, 09:18 PM
we're getting somewhere now.

skipper: you don't want ANY of that action trust me.

she actually said " i want you to teach me play poker"

patience i'm not sure. but i'm getting the vibe from yall to give it up.

SAM

adanthar
07-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Okay, so basically, she wants some side income, patience may or may not be an issue, and it has to be a steady, variance minimizing type of style?

I believe your best bet is to take Aleo's SNG guide, update it with a year's worth of STT posts, create a new system and give it to her as a handout.

I will personally guarantee, BTW, that a good version of this system can have a 20%+ ROI at the 10's playing as many games as she can physically handle.

ThaHero
07-18-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to think this was something anybody with a brain could make money at, I was very wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

What other attributes do you suggest?

sng-sam
07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
wow this post is causing an uproar. and quite a bit of sarcasm. The thing is I don't really believe she could be given a " handout" I think that someone with better teaching skills could at the very least teach her aleos method and a bit more. Andathar you are just the kind of player that could help her if you were so inclined. It is a noble cause I assure you.

SAM

adanthar
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I am not that person because I'm about to be swamped and have a crapload of things to do with my life after next week, but I think this would be relatively easy to do.

Find all of the bubble posts you can, work out where it is a generally good idea to push and where it isn't, and boil it down to some general rules for her ('when you have the biggest stack, push any 2 cards, when you are middle stack, any ace, when you are tiny, call any two' - something like that).

Add in some push or fold instructions for levels 1-3 and I guarantee she will beat the 10's for a substantial amount of money.

bluewilde
07-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Wow...if it can be boiled down to that for a "substantial" profit...can I have a copy /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Weatherhead03
07-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Try this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

splashpot
07-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Before she commits any time at all, I suggest you have her read some of the posts that illustrate how bad the variance can be at times. Make sure she understands that you can lose a lot of money while making correct decision after correct decision. I, myself, have come to accept loses like this, but only after many weeks of playing/reading.

Not to be preachy or anything, but I've tried explaining the variance to many highly intelligent people only to have them complain again and again about mediocre beats. Most people hear that you are making money playing popker, and they think it's easy money. They don't understand how much we study and effort went into our success. This is exactly the reason I don't introduce poker to anyone anymore. If they have the motivation to learn it, they will play/read on their own for a few weeks. After that, if they are still into it, you have a good learning buddy to discuss with.

It is my belief that "teaching someone to play" is one of the most difficult things (more so since a poster here would not know her personally). My suggestion is to give her a poker book. Maybe TOP. Have her read it. If she ends up finishing it, bring it to the next step. If not, she doesn't have the interest or dedication it takes to learn the game.

Maulik
07-18-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the situation. My mother-in-law needs an extra income. She is a single mother and a good person. She needs two jobs but can't be away from her youngest daughter all day. Although I personally am having some nice success right now, I do not feel I am far along enough in my SNG education to be her teacher. I would like to know if anyone would like to take her on as a student. If you require a fee for your lesson I still want to hear from you however I am really hoping for someone who will do this pro bono. (the pokergods will be pleased). Thanks for your time.

SAM

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your mother-in-law and you have the time, you'll be a better player for taking the time to analyze her play in addition to your own game. Bear that in mind, this may be a great way to advance your game, quickly as you'll be busy analyzing 2 games.

brilliant

Scuba Chuck
07-18-2005, 11:45 PM
I seriously think this is a bad idea. At least with kids, they can be more open-minded and take some chances. Her concern about money will affect her play. Furthermore, I used to think this way, that I could teach someone, and they could earn a 20% ROI no problem on the $11s. I no longer recommend poker to anyone. People have to want to do this, it isn't something that can be just learned like a job and repeated. The variance bug, no matter how small, is very difficult at all levels.

She has to have a strong passion for games, like solitaire or something to even give this a run, IMO.

Scuba

curtains
07-19-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have tried to teach 5 people, all reasonably intellegent. 3 stuck with it for more than a couple months, only one makes money, and he still makes more doing other things.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its true, poker is really not that easy somehow. I always assume everyone that I teach will obviously pick up everything but its not the case by a longshot.

wulfheir
07-19-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow...if it can be boiled down to that for a "substantial" profit...can I have a copy /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, count me in too please /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lacky
07-19-2005, 02:59 AM
ok, honest advice here. Get her a copy of low limit holdem by lee jones or getting started in holdem by ed miller. miller is probably best but i havent read it. start her out at .02/.04 at stars. there is no rake, no pressure and if she cant beat it, she cant beat anything else either.

have her work on playing the correct hands in the correct position preflop, then work on playing the flop etc, as she works through the book. whithen a month if she's gonna get it she'll be doing well at these games and asking intellegent questions about certain situations. If she says things like i dont play 89s because i never get the flush, i changed tables couse i was unlucky there, i dont like to raise with AK couse usually i dont get anything, etc, give up. i'm really not joking either.

If all is going well, she can move up to .05/.10 limit (still no rake), then progress her way to .5/1 on party. playing well you can ave about 3 to 4 bb/100 hands at .5/1, playing a little over 200 hands an hour on 4 tables. so, with rake back about $8 to $11 an hour, 2x if she can 8 table, with very little varience.

If she makes it this far (and you should realize it's a big if) she can easily learn nl ring or stt's to branch out, or progress in limit.

the reason to focus on limit first is everything she needs is easily availible in good books, so other than some help spotting her leaks and answering questions she can easily teach herself if she is motivated.

Hope that helps. The reason I have tried to teach people before is to give them an easier life. I understand where your coming from and I hope it works out, it just doesnt usually.

Steve

Newt_Buggs
07-19-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I will personally guarantee, BTW, that a good version of this system can have a 20%+ ROI at the 10's playing as many games as she can physically handle.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't played a $11 in about 3,000 SNGs but I'de be shocked if its anywhere close to 20%

Most people that are good at poker don't realize that they are naturals with a special knack. Although they study the game a lot they are able to more easily absorb and apply the concepts that they learn than most people would.

HesseJam
07-19-2005, 03:50 AM
20% are virtually guaranteed IF

a) you are willing to learn (reading a lot of hand examples) and

b) you slavishly follow the system and deviate only where you are very sure that you know what and why you are doing it.

Variance is a beast though and 300 $ are NOT enough for a beginner. You should at least be willing to invest 500 - 1000. I'd say, only after you burnt through $1000 bucks at the 11+1s you can somewhat safely say that there is a good chance that SnGs are not for you.

curtains
07-19-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't played a $11 in about 3,000 SNGs but I'de be shocked if its anywhere close to 20%

Most people that are good at poker don't realize that they are naturals with a special knack. Although they study the game a lot they are able to more easily absorb and apply the concepts that they learn than most people would.

[/ QUOTE ]

What NewtBuggs said....its a lot harder than everyone thinks, I know this because of all the people who seem like they are capable players to me but still inexplicably can't seem to win. And these peopel have at least some talent for the game, which a beginner may or may not have.

trdi
07-19-2005, 04:03 PM
I would give a similar advice only a little bit different (from my own experience - I helped two of my friends from scratch).
Start on PS 0.02/0.04 with $10 BR. At 15-20 she can mix in some 0.05/0.10. No rake, you can build your bankroll VERY fast. Then I found out that a student should try some 1 + 0.20 SNGs. 45 players start, rake is 20% BUT the opponents are a joke and you can try SNG basics for cheap. Then come, of course 5+0.5 SNGs, which are very easy. Both of my friends I helped are currently playing them (they started few weeks ago the way I described) and I have no doubt the way they're playing they will soon move up.