PDA

View Full Version : Interesting AK hand

MagnoliasFM
07-18-2005, 06:54 PM
#Game No : 2385479380
***** Hand History for Game 2385479380 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $30 Buy-in + $3 Entry Fee Trny:14051506 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Monday, July 18, 18:12:42 EDT 2005
Table Table 11105 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 8: jopke ( $800 )
Seat 10: I_have_Aces_ ( $785 )
Seat 6: t4racer ( $800 )
Seat 9: Dfulvio ( $785 )
Seat 5: BillyBoy5885 ( $605 )
Seat 7: FatTony21 ( $800 )
Seat 1: surfdog2000 ( $785 )
Seat 2: vahalla22 ( $800 )
Seat 4: julyguy ( $785 )
Seat 3: pogogt ( $1055 )
Trny:14051506 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to jopke [ Kh As ]
pogogt folds.
>You have options at Table 12774 Table!.
julyguy raises [50].
BillyBoy5885 folds.
t4racer calls [50].
FatTony21 folds.
jopke is all-In [800]
Dfulvio folds.
I_have_Aces_ folds.
surfdog2000 folds.
vahalla22 is all-In [785]
julyguy folds.
>You have options at Table 12062 Table!.
>You have options at Table 12774 Table!.
t4racer is all-In [750]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2c, 6c, 5d ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2s ]
** Dealing River ** [ 7s ]
vahalla22 shows [ 6d, 7c ] two pairs, sevens and sixes.
t4racer shows [ Qs, Th ] a pair of twos.
jopke shows [ Kh, As ] a pair of twos.
vahalla22 wins 2460 chips from the main pot with two pairs, sevens and sixes.
t4racer finished in ninth place.
jopke finished in ninth place.
t4racer has left the table.
jopke has left the table.
Game #2385483094 starts.

*i edited my name to "jopke" because i don't want to reveal my identity

Freudian
07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

*i edited my name to "jopke" because i don't want to reveal my identity

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably should edit out the hand # then.

tshort
07-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Can't blame vahalla, he was connected.

curtains
Ok another important note. Yes pushing may be okay preflop because look at what the idiots called you with. However for me, calling preflop and then playing well postflop may easily have a much higher EV than your play. I also don't expect them to be this stupid usually, this was a rare case.

Basically I don't move allin here. With 600 chips maybe, with 800 I just flat call. So often when I call I end up doubling up on good flops and losing the absolute minimum on bad flops. I wont flat call for a huge % of my stack, but 1/16th I can deal with.

liucipher
interesting because you're in a $33.

welcome to my world in the $6s.

curtains
07-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I just don't understand how the hand number is going to give away someones identity. Everyone always says this, but what do they think we are going to somehow find the hand number just to figure out who some poster is?

Freudian
07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand how the hand number is going to give away someones identity. Everyone always says this, but what do they think we are going to somehow find the hand number just to figure out who some poster is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Request hand history -> fill in hand number -> check replaced name.

Not that I care OP is playing under the nick A*********r. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MagnoliasFM
07-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi. I'm struggling with whether to play it my way or yours.

The benefits of going all-in:
- If you lose you don't lose the 30-40 mins and you can join another tournament right away.
- While usually people aren't dumb enough to call with 67 and QT, they ARE dumb enough to call with AQ, AJ, Ax suited a lot higher percentage of times, which usually puts me in a favorable position to double up.
- If I'm up against Ax and slowplay, I can only get all his money if one of the 2 remaining aces flop. If I get him all-in preflop I give myself the best chance of doubling up.
- I could get myself into trouble by slowplaying if I'm up against Ax and the x flops along with the A.

I think I just go all-in a lot early on (even with AA and KK) because people call preflop more often than they hit top pair. This seems really dumb and goes against everything they teach you in the books but it's what's been working for me. Maybe I'll try not going all-in and making standard raises with my big hands for a little, and see what it does.

Freudian
07-18-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

- If you lose you don't lose the 30-40 mins and you can join another tournament right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that ever is a factor in how you play your hands, then it is a gigantic leak.

liucipher
07-18-2005, 07:55 PM
I totally agree it's not a good way to think about individual hands. OP should be processing all the information he possibly can and not worrying about whether it's early in a tournament or late in one.

I think there's a certain amount of validity to it though when you're considering overall strategy. There's a huge difference between return on investment and return on time invested. Arguably, the latter is more important. Otherwise, why multitable? By definition, you must be making less than optimal decisions by playing so many tables at the same time.

If OP is willing to take on variance because doubling up early does him much better than timid shortstack play, it may very well be higher EV.

My $.02. I single-table $6s and take notes on every freaking hand, so what do I know about profitability.

gildwulf
07-18-2005, 07:57 PM
I think this play is fine.

Freudian
07-18-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think there's a certain amount of validity to it though when you're considering overall strategy. There's a huge difference between return on investment and return on time invested. Arguably, the latter is more important. Otherwise, why multitable? By definition, you must be making less than optimal decisions by playing so many tables at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you start making poor decisions because of "hey, there is always another SnG starting" the only thing you accomplish is reduce the time until you make another poor decision.

Only reason I could see for gambling for all your chips early is if you are a worse player than the ones you play against. And if that is the case, another SnG starting soon is not a good thing.

liucipher
07-19-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once you start making poor decisions because of "hey, there is always another SnG starting" the only thing you accomplish is reduce the time until you make another poor decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the point is that OP's decision isn't necessarily poor. It's just not that great. Given the dead money in the pot + the fold equity he has with hands that he's racing, pushing all-in is most likely slightly +EV against most raising/calling ranges.

I don't agree that's it's the MOST +EV way to play the hand. But GIVEN THAT THERE'S ALWAYS ANOTHER SNG STARTING, it means any +EV situation will eventually be profitable because the variance will fall as sample size increases in a shorter period of time.

I wouldn't recommend this strategy when OP plays his friends at their once-a-month home tournament because the variance will be brutal.

Like I said, the concept is simlar to multitabling. It inherently prevents you from making the most +EV moves. However, your ability to play a bajillion games and increase your sample size in a short amount of time drives returns. What you sacrifice in EV you make up in sample size. If I said you could play a game w/ EV of $.01 vs. a game with EV of $1.00 you'd take the latter. But if I told you the first game takes 20 seconds and you can play as fast as you want whereas the second game takes 15 minutes, it becomes pretty clear which is a better investment of time.

Still not saying I love OP's move. Just saying that the "always on" aspect of SNGs could legitimately guide your play.

curtains
07-19-2005, 10:17 PM
oh btw, Moving allin here is definitely not a bad play. It's just not what I do in this exact situation. Tweak a few things one way or another and it's possible thats what I'd do.