PDA

View Full Version : Bank Machines

Stuey
07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
I have a bank machine in a business I own and operate. I have to reload it with money and keep track of all the transactions.

Now a few odd things have been happening.

1. In the last year I have found $20 left on the money dispenser tray on 6 different occasions. The last customer must not have taken all the money he requested. The machine worked properly and the money was in plain sight.

2. The machine charges $2 per transaction. Yes I am a thief and most of that money goes in my pocket. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif But I am amazed at how many people use the machine. There are 4 banks with bank machines in them within a 1/2 block of my store. They charge much less, even free if it is your branch, for each transaction. Yet it is not rare to see people come and withdraw $20 each time up to 3 times in one day! They pay me 6$ to get 60$ of their money. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. No one has ever complained. I don't know if they even know about the service charge. And no one has come back and said the machine didn't give them enough money. And I know some people have gotten ripped off. I can only imagine how many times someone besides me has found money left in the machine.

So answer me some questions
Yes I am a polltard /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Stuey
07-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Have you ever found money left by the previous user of a ATM in the despenser tray?

I am the only one that voted yes. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr_J
07-18-2005, 07:49 PM
FWIW I put up with a $4 fee every time I transfer money to my neteller debit card and get it from the atm. Usually I just do it around once a week. The $4 doesn't bother me, that's like an extra 2 hands of poker.

MrWookie47
07-18-2005, 08:09 PM
I'd pay a $2 fee if it was the only ATM around. ATMs in like Disneyland and other theme parks, etc., where people aren't leaving before the end of the day really gank you - $2.50+. Usually, I'd just plan ahead, but if it's the only ATM around and I need the cash, so be it.

Stuey
07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd pay a $2 fee if it was the only ATM around. ATMs in like Disneyland and other theme parks, etc., where people aren't leaving before the end of the day really gank you - $2.50+. Usually, I'd just plan ahead, but if it's the only ATM around and I need the cash, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah I guess the reason I am surprised is that people are withdrawing very small amounts and doing it more than once a day. I would think they would take a couple hundred, then the service charge is not a concern.

And if they only take $40 and leave $20 in the tray I really wonder. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Los Feliz Slim
07-18-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife does dumb [censored] like this all the time

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Ulysses
07-18-2005, 09:04 PM
I've heard that strip club ATMs are known to charge a $9.95 or higher fee and only let you withdraw $200 or $300 at a time.

Duke
07-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Does the ATM not let the user know that there is a $2 fee that you're imposing on the transaction? The way you phrase it it's like there's no warning and an invisible charge.

~D

siccjay
07-18-2005, 09:53 PM
The $2 is nothing to worry about. It's pretty standard. I've seen as high as $3.

While they are paying you they are also paying their bank one or two dollars.

Rotating Rabbit
07-18-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that strip club ATMs are known to charge a $9.95 or higher fee and only let you withdraw $200 or $300 at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand them wanting a large minimum withdrawal, but charging such an excessive fee seems counter intuitive to me. I wonder how many customers who would have withdrawn are put off by the charge. It wouldnt have to be more than a few to make it -ev.

Stuey
07-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Yah there is a warning screen that tells them how much the service charge is. But several people need help to figure out what way to insert the card so I'm thinking they are missing lots of obvious things.

How they earn the money they put in the bank I will never know. I think I will up the service charge till I get complaints or volume goes down.

Duke
07-18-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand them wanting a large minimum withdrawal, but charging such an excessive fee seems counter intuitive to me. I wonder how many customers who would have withdrawn are put off by the charge. It wouldnt have to be more than a few to make it -ev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read the post and try again.

~D