PDA

View Full Version : Betting draws

Tapin
07-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Bay 101 $3/$6, 9 players

UTG+1 is possibly the only good player at the table. He wasn't cold-calling very often, and every time he showed down a hand it was decent. The rest of the table was your typical mix of loose-passive and loose-aggressive overplayers.

Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif
Preflop: Hero limps, 5 limpers (1 fold), SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero bets, UTG+1 raises, 2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, 2 folds, Hero...?

I think this is an automatic raise, with the nut flush and nut straight (likely chopped) draws and two people cold-calling behind. Pot equity alone seems to suggest that if I don't pump this pot I'm an idiot. Is there anything I might be missing here?

cold_cash
07-18-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an automatic raise, with the nut flush and nut straight (likely chopped) draws and two people cold-calling behind. Pot equity alone seems to suggest that if I don't pump this pot I'm an idiot. Is there anything I might be missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

krimson
07-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes, pump it up. You have an equity edge with this many players in the pot, and you want to make the tptk or 2-pair people pay as much as possible before it's obvious that someone made a straight or flush.

Tapin
07-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for confirming my sanity. I raised, UTG+1 reraised, and I don't remember whether the last two callers fell out here or on the turn (2/images/graemlins/club.gif, my gin card). UTG+1 called my turn bet, and the river T/images/graemlins/club.gif had me only slightly scared of a boat or quads. I bet, he folded his AJo face-up and steamed off. Then the 1s and 2s (I was in the 7s) got into a big loud conversation about how crazy I was to "3-bet on a draw!"

Unfortunately, it was the second-to-last hand I played (I was just hanging around to the BB, but the dealer didn't hear me when I said I didn't want to be dealt into the next hand); fortunately, I was able to control myself and not explain why the play was not only correct, it was automatic. Nearly blew my "maniac" image all to hell in a moment of weak gloating.

Matt Jenko
07-18-2005, 05:32 PM
reckon you is spot on with that old raising thing.

soweak.
07-18-2005, 06:18 PM
next time i will read the WHOLE post before replying :/