PDA

View Full Version : Coke Can Experiment

RacersEdge
07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Has everyone done this experiment where you heat up water in a coke can and flip it over into cold water and the can collapses? If you haven't you should - it's cool.

SpearsBritney
07-18-2005, 03:34 PM
I do this at least 3 times a week

siccjay
07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do this at least 3 times a week

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao

PokerBob
07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
I do it for my students. Make sure the can is OPEN.

belloc
07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Cool, I'm going to try this later. My wife has a few cans of some crappy natural soda that the world could do without. I assume this is because of the carbonation?

RacersEdge
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool, I'm going to try this later. My wife has a few cans of some crappy natural soda that the world could do without. I assume this is because of the carbonation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, just water involved - you're using an empty can. It's an example of "nature abhors a vacuum".

jackdaniels
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How to do this? (I've got some dim witted friends to impress)

tek
07-18-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of Boy Scout camp many years ago. It's family day and this kid's father puts a can of beans on the fire--unopened...

His son is sitting by the fire with a leg in a cast.

Hilarity results /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PokerBob
07-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Put about 2 oz. of water in the can. Heat it up so that the water boils. Quickly grab the can and invert it into a pan that has 1 inch deep of ice-cold water in it. The can will squish with a "frooomp!!". Try not to burn yourself. I've done it with my bare hands, but the can does get a bit hot, and the steam coming from the can is really hot.

If you are really feeling sassy, do it with an old 50 gallon drum.......

DemonDeac
07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
heat up in microwave i take it?

lucas9000
07-18-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of Boy Scout camp many years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/pics/93mcanteen.jpg

i just wish i could find a larger image.

chaas4747
[ QUOTE ]
heat up in microwave i take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please heat up metal in the microwave.

DemonDeac
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of Boy Scout camp many years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/pics/93mcanteen.jpg

i just wish i could find a larger image.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. one of the greatest SNL skits ever

PokerBob
07-18-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. You need to empty the can and add a little water. By boiling the water in the can, you basically evacuate the can except for a few molecules that are moving around super fast and banging into the walls of the can. When you invert the can and put it into the ice-water, the molecules that were once moving super fast slow down because they get cold. When that happens, the pressure in the can drops, causing the can to get squished by the pressure in the room.

belloc
07-18-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I assume this is because of the carbonation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, just water involved - you're using an empty can. It's an example of "nature abhors a vacuum".

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. I would have spent two hours this afternoon wondering why my full can of soda wasn't crushing, all the while muttering to myself, "man, those OOT guys are full of [/i][censored]."

I hope people at the University of Arizona College of Engineering don't read 2+2. They'll hunt me down and take away my MS for being such a retard.

Nottom
07-18-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. I would have spent two hours this afternoon wondering why my full can of soda wasn't crushing, all the while muttering to myself, "man, those OOT guys are full of [/i][censored]."

I hope people at the University of Arizona College of Engineering don't read 2+2. They'll hunt me down and take away my MS for being such a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its ok, you would have never gotten that far since your full can would have exploded when you tried to heat it up.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-18-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What exactly is your MS degree in?

jakethebake
07-18-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I take it you guys don't work together? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

belloc
07-18-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Civil Engineering. I must have missed the day in class where we studied the physics of coke cans.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-18-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Civil Engineering. I must have missed the day in class where we studied the physics of coke cans.

[/ QUOTE ]
...or you lost the appropriate code book.

belloc
07-18-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
...or you lost the appropriate code book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Never did feel like much of a "master of science". I don't even have a cape or a mask.

Jersey Nick
07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Another coke can trick: start a fire with a coke can and a chocolate bar. (http://tinyurl.com/9mn37)

chaas4747
07-18-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another coke can trick: start a fire with a coke can and a chocolate bar. (http://tinyurl.com/9mn37)

[/ QUOTE ]

I expected something completely different when I clicked that link.

Jersey Nick
07-18-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I expected something completely different when I clicked that link.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tubman, perhaps?

Bradyams
07-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Click me! (http://www.delta.edu/slime/cancrush.html)

EliteNinja
07-18-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, man. I'm appalled that you don't know about PV = nRT.
Don't you work with pressure vessels at all as a civil engineer?

Q: What's the difference between Mechanical and Civil Engineers?

A: Mechanical Engineers make weapons. Civil Engineers make targets.

belloc
07-19-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, man. I'm appalled that you don't know about PV = nRT.
Don't you work with pressure vessels at all as a civil engineer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing PV=nRT is one thing (which I do, and have since like 10th grade, which has nothing do with being a CE).

Actually thinking about it and applying it in a particular instance is another. The OP was about crushing coke cans, and I retardedly assumed it was full coke cans.

None of the above vindicates me from being a horrible engineer, which I was without a doubt, and which is why I'm now doing other things.

FouTight
07-19-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Click me! (http://www.delta.edu/slime/cancrush.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a tough sell, a bold link that just says "Click me" after a tub girl reference...

Random Image
07-20-2005, 01:10 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/tiant_gitties/humancannonball.jpg

bernie
07-20-2005, 03:06 PM
I've always liked the one where you put a chicken bone in a glass or can of coke.

Makes you wonder just how good it is for you to have in your body.

b

RacersEdge
07-20-2005, 03:14 PM
This thread keeps coming back, so I keep thinking abiut this after seeing the tanker cars implode: what would happen if you filled a regular car with steam during a hot day and then allowed the car to cool overnight?

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-20-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what would happen if you filled a regular car with steam during a hot day and then allowed the car to cool overnight?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you'd be disappointed.

RacersEdge
07-20-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what would happen if you filled a regular car with steam during a hot day and then allowed the car to cool overnight?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you'd be disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

chaas4747
07-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I think a normal car would leak.