PDA

View Full Version : Bottom two on the flop ($5,5 NLHE)

07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
$5,5 no-limit holdem. I limp along after one other MP limper with 65s also in MP. The button calls and so do both blinds. Pot=$25. The flop comes K65 double suited. The action is checked to me. I bet $25. Button and SB fold, BB raises to $100 and MP folds.

I have about $1000 in front of me and BB has me covered. BB is a tight and very solid player. He frequently bets the flop when he is in a hand. This is the first time that I have seen him check-raise. I am not sure what he thinks of me. I have been at the table for a couple of hours but I have seen very few flops and only one showdown. I am also the shortest stack.

I re-raise to $250. BB thinks, asks me to count down my stack then calls.

The third flush card comes on the turn and BB bets enough to put me in. This is a clear fold, yes? What about my play on the flop and before? All comments appreciated.

07-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Looks like his check-raise was a semi-bluff, supported even more by the fact he asked you to count your stack down. With no reads I would fold. I would have just called his reraise on the flop since you are in position and can get more information.

BigEndian
07-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I would be considering folding the flop to a reasonable BB who CRed me without a history or reads telling me the player was clueless. Is this weak? I really hate getting my chips vested deeply with bottom or middle two - they're such shitty hands. It's a $150 pot offering you 1.5-1 odds. Have you made a lot of folds at the table?

- Jim

JihadOnTheRiver
07-18-2005, 04:54 PM
what cardroom?

Kirkrrr
07-18-2005, 05:10 PM
I like the flop play. I fold on the turn.

Incidentally, I had abslutely identical thing happen to me last night where a very tight player suddenly decided to check-raise me on the flop with a flush draw and middle pair. Luckily, my flush draw was higher /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirk R.

RoundersRocks!
07-19-2005, 04:02 AM
-- K65 double suited
bottom 2 in not a shitty hand on this board, and I think you misplayed the flop. The only hands that have you beat are:
K6
K5
or a set.
A set of kings is unlikely since he would have raised Kings. He might have K5 or K6, but the odds of that aren't good, especially since one of the 5s and one of the 6s are in your hand. The same logic applies to why it is less likely he has a set of 5s or 6s. One is in your hand, one is on the board, it is highly unlikely he has the other 2 fives or the ther 2 sixes.
The odds of him having 2 suited cards or a king with a shitty kicker are much more likely. Both of these hands you would consider check raising.
I think you should have pushed on the flop. If he has the King shitty kicker, he fold. If he has the flush drawn, he isn't getting odds. If he has a set or 2 higher pair that is just bad luck for you.
Giving him a free card was a bad move that cost you the pot.
Thats just my thinking though.

07-19-2005, 09:13 AM
>what cardroom?

Foxwoods. Why do you ask?

07-19-2005, 09:18 AM
>I would have just called his [check-raise] on the flop since you are in position and can get more information.

Thanks for your reply: What information would you have been looking for by just calling the check-raise on the flop? Say, for instance, you just called the check-raise on the flop, a flush card turns and BB bets out pot

07-19-2005, 09:36 AM
>I think you misplayed the flop... think you should have pushed on the flop...Giving him a free card was a bad move that cost you the pot..

Thanks for your reply: I agree with you that if I did make a mistake here it was on the flop. I thought about just pushing in at the time. However I decided to re-raise pot instead. An all-in re-raise on the flop would have been about double the pot which seemed a bit much. At the time I made the bet I had BB as most likely on a flush draw but I thought that only a set would call an all-in. My plan was to shove in if any non-flush card turned.

Is a pot sized re-raise on the flop really considered to be giving a free card? I didn't think that I was giving up especially good odds to a draw even considering the $500 or so left to bet on later streets.

Kirkrrr
07-19-2005, 04:20 PM
I like a re-raise a lot more than a push since you have position for the entire hand, and there's absolutely no reason for you to void that advantage by pushing. My philosophy on that is that if you were OOP, pushing might be a viable option. In position, play the game. That's where your skill makes you the most money.

Kirk R.