PDA

View Full Version : ante structure of online stud

Bodhi
07-18-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm rereading TOP, and noticed that sklansky says 10% of the small bet is an average ante. I'm an inexperienced stud player but sometimes try the .5/1 game at party, but I see now that the ante is 50% of the small bet! Are these games designed to reward very loose play? I think I have been folding on 3rd and 4th st way too often if that's the case.

sexdrugsmoney
07-19-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm rereading TOP, and noticed that sklansky says 10% of the small bet is an average ante. I'm an inexperienced stud player but sometimes try the .5/1 game at party, but I see now that the ante is 50% of the small bet! Are these games designed to reward very loose play? I think I have been folding on 3rd and 4th st way too often if that's the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing a bit of Party .5/1 with mixed results.

The variance is enormous IMHO, but that could be because I am still learning and thus make some bad plays.

The ante is equivelent to the Bring In, and you are correct it is 50% of the SB.

AndyB said this was an 'overante' and Vintage Sara said 5th street is more important than 4th street at this level. (if I've misquoted you, sorry)

AndyB and others have said this game is beatable because the players are so terrible, but I find my problem is that I start playing bad also.

Due to the 'overante' I find it hard to throw away any pair (split or concealed) that is live, and if they are concealed I'm taking them to 6th street and sometimes the river trying to make trips or a boat.

Roy West in his book said 'its not how well you can play, its how well you DO play' and I think I can play a fairly solid game if I respected the players and the stakes more, but against these people I feel compelled to 'look them up', to 'chase' etc etc.

In short I feel the Lower Limits bring out the worst in my play, and its something I've got to work on.

The next session I'm going to ignore the overante and play a tight game as if I was playing 2/4 and I'll see if I get 'ante'd to death like Broomcorns uncle' after a couple of hours or not.

Cheers,
SDM

nanoCRUSHER
07-19-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(A) In short, yes. Super high ante poker deteriorates the game into simply who's got the best luck at the table. Refer to the $100 bill example.
(B) I cannot evaluate your play because, for one, I consider myself only a competent stud player at the really small limits, and for the fact that you haven't posted any hands. If you want to play "real" stud online, PS has an average ante structure.