PDA

View Full Version : Steam on the windows

sfer
07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
The lobby of my office building is freezing cold from the AC. In NY, it has been insanely humid for the last week. Every morning when I walk in, the top row of windows (lobby is all exterior glass, dividing into a series of panes, two from the floor to the ceiling) have condensation from the outside. Is it possible that this is just spontaneously happening from the AC/glass/humidity coming in contact?

asofel
07-18-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The lobby of my office building is freezing cold from the AC. In NY, it has been insanely humid for the last week. Every morning when I walk in, the top row of windows (lobby is all exterior glass, dividing into a series of panes, two from the floor to the ceiling) have condensation from the outside. Is it possible that this is just spontaneously happening from the AC/glass/humidity coming in contact?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand the question...the warm moisture in the air is cooled to liquid on the cold glass...yes?

jakethebake
07-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Either that or all the people on the nightshift are having make-out parties.

samjjones
07-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Its not a coincidence.

asofel
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought this was what the post was about. I remember a long session with an ex years ago. When we were done, we looked around and had completely steamed up the windows in her room....ahh good times...

scrub
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's humidity?

Sucker.

scrub

Patrick del Poker Grande
This definitely needs to be taken to The Trainwreck. It's way too intense for OOT.

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's humidity?

Sucker.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in DC....bastard....

sfer
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's humidity?

Sucker.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just keeping Duboce from getting gentrified.

sfer
07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Condensation is on the outside. It's possible that everyone is [censored] on 42nd St but not likely.

scrub
07-18-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's humidity?

Sucker.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just keeping Duboce from getting gentrified.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni han.

scrub

PokerBob
07-18-2005, 02:45 PM
I dunno. I teach physics, not chemistry.

gumpzilla
07-18-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This definitely needs to be taken to The Trainwreck. It's way too intense for OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this what people are calling Science, Math, Philosophy? This would definitely fit in there if you mentioned that the condensation droplets formed an image of the Virgin Mary.

sfer
07-18-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno. I teach physics, not chemistry.

[/ QUOTE ]

So effing help me. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2860102&page=1&view=expan ded&sb=5&o=&vc=1)

gumpzilla
07-18-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So effing help me. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2860102&page=1&view=expan ded&sb=5&o=&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

You weren't trolling???

Bluffoon
07-18-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Warm air can hold more moisture than cool air. So warm air is cooled by contact with the airconditioned glass and deposits the moisture that it can no longer hold on the glass.

I am no scientist but that's my understanding of the situation. I am also clueless about light but if you can find an explanation of the nature of time that anybody other than einstein can understand I am all ears.

CORed
07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
It's very simple. The air conditioning is cooling the windows below the dew point of the outside air, so water is condensing on the windows. This is also a sign that your buildings windows are real energy wasters. This would not happen with double or triple pane windows. The air conditioning reduces the humidity as well as the temperature of the inside air, which is why there is no condensation on the inside. You may see condensation on the inside in the winter.

God I'm glad I live in Denver. It's been pretty hot the last couple of weeks (mid 90's), but the humidity has been very low. This means I can cool my (small) house with a small evaporative cooler, with a 1/8 HP fan motor and an even smaller pump motor, rather than an air conditioner with a 2 HP motor.

gumpzilla
07-18-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Warm air can hold more moisture than cool air. So warm air is cooled by contact with the airconditioned glass and deposits the moisture that it can no longer hold on the glass.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is probably a factor, I don't think it's the main one. There is a latent heat associated with the transition from the liquid to the gaseous state for water. What this means is that when you want to make water evaporate, not only do you have to get it to the right temperature, but you then need to heat it up for a while at that temperature to get it over this hump. So when the water goes from gas to liquid - condensing - it's giving up a substantial amount of energy even if the temperature remains basically the same. This heats up your glass and tries to bring it into equilibrium with the environment. This is the same reason that steam burns are so vicious - for the same amount of mass, the steam coming off a pot of boiling water is going to burn you worse than the water itself.