PDA

View Full Version : What are the bankrolls of the top pros?(No Content)

nate_king1
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I have always wondered what the bankroll of the pros are. I recently found another forum saying DN has a bankroll of $50MM. LOL I really don't think so. But what do you guys think?

ipp147
07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have always wondered what the bankroll of the pros are. I recently found another forum saying DN has a bankroll of $50MM. LOL I really don't think so. But what do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that he was guessing that DN was worth $50MM. I'm in the UK and so am unaware of the scale of the poker boom stateside and consequently am unsure of the top pro's earning potential away from the tables.

I don't imagine a top pro would have a dissimlar bankroll to what other pros have relative to their level.

bernie
07-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Many tourney pros bankrolls are, at least partially, from backers. Not their own roll. Which lends itself to pretty deep, combined pockets.

b

stabn
07-18-2005, 06:17 PM
The backrolls of the top 3 pros are:

10 bucks
six bucks
and 2.75

respectively.

glad i could help.

stabn

phish
07-19-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The backrolls of the top 3 pros are:

10 bucks
six bucks
and 2.75

respectively.

glad i could help.

stabn

[/ QUOTE ]

Number 2 just won a hand. It's up to $7.50 now.

-Skeme-
07-19-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Back down to $0. Craps is a tough game.

coffeecrazy1
07-19-2005, 02:15 AM
I love the fact that you have Chong Li as your avatar.

bernie
07-19-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Back down to $0. Craps is a tough game.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

what's also funny is that what you actually hit upon in this response isn't that far from the truth. Many players have the vice of blowing large amounts at the crap table.

b

lastsamurai
07-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Dont forget about the $100 buy in table at the bike! (if they still had money left from the wsop)

TStoneMBD
07-19-2005, 07:18 AM
im going to take an educated guess on bankrolls, as a player who reads alot. so take my hunches for what they are worth. these are the biggest name players that i think i have a pretty good guess on.

(net worth)

doyle: 15 mill
greenstein: 10 mill
chip reese: 7 mill
johnny chan: 4 mill
daniel negreanu: 5 mill
phil ivey: 5 mill
phil hellmuth: 3 mill

meow_meow
07-19-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im going to take an educated guess on bankrolls, as a player who reads alot. so take my hunches for what they are worth. these are the biggest name players that i think i have a pretty good guess on.

(net worth)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I know any of these players, but the one that seems out of whack given cv is Ivey.

TStoneMBD
07-19-2005, 09:48 AM
this coming from the guy who posted this in WPT:

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that Phil Hellmuth is looking to sell around $400 million worth of merchandise over the next few years. Probably something like $300M will go straight into Phil's pocket.

Making a couple million a year playing poker is OK, but it doesn't even buy a jet.

[/ QUOTE ]

meow_meow
07-19-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this coming from the guy who posted this in WPT:

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that Phil Hellmuth is looking to sell around $400 million worth of merchandise over the next few years. Probably something like $300M will go straight into Phil's pocket.

Making a couple million a year playing poker is OK, but it doesn't even buy a jet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha,
you are money.

Edit: I guess I need to explain. See, in an attempt to help out people with underperforming sarcasm detectors, I made the bottom line as rediculous as the top line. I thought this was a bit more interesting than just saying "boy, when Phil says he's going to sell $100s of millions in clothing, he's dreaming in technicolor". Then, I followed with a line of Phil's from the cardplayer final table audio which I thought was particularly apropos.
Better?

MaxPower
07-19-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(net worth)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you define a bankroll as cash that a player dedicates to poker, I doubt any of them have anything close to what you are guessing. I would be shocked if any of them had over 2 million, it is probably much less than that.

Let me qualify this by saying that I have no idea what I am talking about and neither do you. I'm just basing this upon what I have read and common sense.

TStoneMBD
07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
well sklansky has personally said that he thinks barry has 10 million.

also, you cant play 4k/8k on 2 million dollar bankroll. that much should be obvious. to think that these guys only have 2 million is pretty silly. also, notice that i emphasized networth, that is what these numbers are based on.

MaxPower
07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well sklansky has personally said that he thinks barry has 10 million.

also, you cant play 4k/8k on 2 million dollar bankroll. that much should be obvious. to think that these guys only have 2 million is pretty silly. also, notice that i emphasized networth, that is what these numbers are based on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Net worth is very different than bankroll. I thought you were talking about their playing bankrolls. I'm sure they all play on short bankrolls though and just borrow from each other when they need it.

phish
07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
If you read "The Banker, the Professor, and the Suicide King" (or something like that) which is about the big pro's games against the TX billionaire Andy Beal, it'll give you an idea of their playing bankroll.

Once, when Beal beat them for about $5 million, they were sitting around playing, but keeping track with pencil and paper cause they had no cash for chips left. And Doyle told Beal "You busted us. Go back to TX." And this is the collective bankroll of probably the top 10.
The book also talks about how some of them had to borrow to get up the $500K or so to buy into the partnership.

fnord_too
07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

also, you cant play 4k/8k on 2 million dollar bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously haven't read Barry's book where he talks about some of his bankroll management history....

phish
07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also, you cant play 4k/8k on 2 million dollar bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously haven't read Barry's book where he talks about some of his bankroll management history....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most of these guys (maybe all) are not playing with the theoretically required bankroll for their stakes. Many of them do go broke occaisionally. But they'll readily lend money to each other and are able to get backers and outside lenders. There are tons of stories of how someone is $2 million in debt, etc. (What amazes me is how someone in their 30's with no work history can get other people to lend him $2 million.)

Vee Quiva
07-19-2005, 08:18 PM
I think the correct answer could be one of the following:
A. It's nobody's business
B. Were all curious but nobody knows
C. Who gives a f***?

TStoneMBD
07-19-2005, 09:21 PM
i preordered it from amazon, still hasnt arrived yet.

nate_king1
07-20-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the correct answer could be one of the following:
A. It's nobody's business
B. Were all curious but nobody knows
C. Who gives a f***?

[/ QUOTE ]

C and B contradic each other. Yes we are all interestead!!!!