PDA

View Full Version : How to play AK when you don't hit.

nate_king1
07-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Suppose you are dealt AKs in position and you raise, you get a couple of callers and the flop comes scary rags

5d 2d 8s
or
249 rainbow

Do you bet when they check to you? Always been confused in situations like this.

sahala
07-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Generally with AK I have raised it enough so that it's 2 or 3 way.

Half the time when checked to I put in a 3/4-ish bet on the flop. If called or raised I give up on the hand. The other times I'll check through to the turn. If I'm checked again on the turn and the board is still raggedy I'll fire off some chips.

I decide which way to go depending on reads on the players involved and the kind of hands they call with.

ChoicestHops
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
continuation bet

Phill S
07-18-2005, 02:29 PM
I dont get the term 'scary rags'. Seems a contridiction of terms in my vocabulary, but im willing to be corrected.

If im in position, i bet when checked to. When im out of position i tend to check. Position is important.

Cant get any more specific without a specific hand imo, too situational overall. Once you play more you get the hang of sensing the right time, its what i call subconscious learning but is often mistaken for instinct or card sense.

Phill

Insty
07-18-2005, 02:33 PM
See my Where do I get away from this? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2900610) post for how not to play it...

nate_king1
07-18-2005, 02:36 PM
scary rags are like the 5d 2d 8s where there is a flush and a straight draw. Where people in lower limit sngs like to chase. Thats all

mosdef
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
continuation bet

[/ QUOTE ]

too general. if you make a healthly raise preflop and get called 2+ ways, the pot may be too large to make a continuation bet that is not a big chunk of your stack. and if you make a smaller continuation bet, you're inviting calls.

Blindly following the 1/2-pot or 3/4-pot cbet guideline is unnecessarily risky.

morgan180
07-18-2005, 02:43 PM
first how much did you raise? are the callers in LP or the blinds? what is your read on the players and what would they be calling with?

once you have an idea about those questions and the people calling you then you can make the best judgement and play for that situation.

i remember i used to ask a lot of "if x, then what is y" questions before lorinda directed me to a nice post about those types of questions. i'll see if i can find it.

in general 50% when i have AK and whiff and am in EP i will bet about half the pot 25% i'll check/fold (because i'm weak) and 25% i'll c/r if i have the stack and think that the bettor is just leading out with his AJ.

curtains
07-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Give me more details, but trust me I check plenty when I miss with AK, especially with 2 opponents.