PDA

View Full Version : JJ

bluewilde
07-18-2005, 11:36 AM
I think this is right...just wanted to ask.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Button (t1395)
SB (t1045)
BB (t1050)
UTG (t775)
Hero (t770)
MP1 (t755)
MP2 (t1005)
MP3 (t620)
CO (t585)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t85, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t330) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, CO folds, SB raises to something like 250 (converter isn't playing nice), Hero folds.

Final Pot: t480

durron597
07-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Don't raise JJ out of position early. You hate most flops, so why play a big pot out of position?

45suited
07-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I think your play was fine. Including the raise pre-flop. You'll make lots of money in the long run raising with JJ here, getting called by all kinds of garbage. IMO, JJ is way too strong of a hand for you to open limp with in level two with your stack.

nh

I should add that I understand the reasoning for not raising here, but I just don't agree with it. JJ is a very good hand and by raising, it's not like you're not going to get paid off by the donks anyway.

bluewilde
07-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Hmmm...how do I respond to a raise behind me then?

Edit: Preflop, on the flop the check reraise is a clear bye-bye

OatmealJoe
07-18-2005, 12:11 PM
I typically raise up JJ pre flop. It's the sort of hand you want to play with a lot of people or a little. There is a case for just limping here and playing for set value or for under cards on the flop.

Once I raise and make a continuation bet, after the raise on the flop, I would fold.

morgan180
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
i think the key to playing something like TT-JJ early (levels that is) is keeping the pot small. I think a raise here is good and there are two thoughts 1. raise 2.5 bb to keep the pot small or 2. raise 5 bb to eliminate as many people as possible, thus keeping the pot small.

At the 30 bb level i don't like number 2 because you'll be called by all sorts of hands that will just build the pot, which defeats the purpose.

I would raise 2.5 bb here, if i am re-raised behind i will call b/c at my level ($11) its likely anything from 66-AA and most likely something like AK,AQ,AJ,AT, which I'll want to see a flop against. At the higher levels I'm not sure how I'd want to play it.

The one reason I don't like limping is that with 3 or 4 other people in the pot you're less than a 30% favorite to win if people have limped in with weak overcards. So I want to try to fold the K9, Q9s, etc. out there and try to play this pot with as few people as possible, while keeping it small - if it was only so easy.

morgan180
07-18-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I typically raise up JJ pre flop. It's the sort of hand you want to play with a lot of people or a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 100% do not want to play this hand against 'a lot of people' in a raised pot.

I will play it for set value occassionally.

Uppercut
07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I have no problem with the way you played this hand post-flop, but pre-flop, I prefer to raise more than 3x the BB with TT and JJ, because too many fish will call 3x with their KTo and then take all my chips when this kind of flop falls. Try 5x next time.

durron597
07-18-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm...how do I respond to a raise behind me then?

Edit: Preflop, on the flop the check reraise is a clear bye-bye

[/ QUOTE ]

This question is too generic. Sometimes I'll push over an LP raiser. Sometimes I'll call a raise from the blinds. Sometimes I'll just fold. If it looks like it might be HU I might call a raise. It really depends on a lot of things like stack sizes, number of opponents, relative position...

Edit: to all those who say they like raising JJ in EP; do you have PokerTracker? Do you make money with it?

adanthar
07-18-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: to all those who say they like raising JJ in EP; do you have PokerTracker? Do you make money with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes I do. But I also don't continuation bet it into 2 people when a K hits (I would if a Q hit).

45suited
07-18-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I also don't continuation bet it into 2 people when a K hits (I would if a Q hit).

[/ QUOTE ]

Against one opponent (like in this case), would you C bet? I would, especially against the donkeys at the 11s who could literally be playing anything. Personally, I like the way the OP played the hand. How about you?

Oh, and I do not have pokertracker, but I can say with certainty that I make money with JJ.

SORRY, I SCREWED UP. THOUGHT IT WAS HEADS UP.

Newt_Buggs
07-18-2005, 02:24 PM
looks good to me

if you want to debate the pf raisejust do a search for the last really long debate about how to play JJ UTG

durron597
07-18-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I do not have pokertracker, but I can say with certainty that I make money with JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for being annoying, but I was saying specifically in EP (read: UTG &amp; UTG+1) - and with low blinds.

I know I was losing money until I started limping with it.

adanthar
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
The trick is in knowing when continuation betting is profitable and when it isn't.

If you treat it exactly as you would AK in EP, you will not be very wrong, IMO.

Wes ManTooth
07-18-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The trick is in knowing when continuation betting is profitable and when it isn't.

If you treat it exactly as you would AK in EP, you will not be very wrong, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, also 9 handled JJ in early postion is not that an ideal hand to be overly aggresive with.