PDA

View Full Version : Check raised on the turn?

lufbradolly
07-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero?

W. Deranged
07-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Notice that you have 6 outs that are likely to be totally pure here, and you may well have the best hand. Call the turn and then hope to spike a boat or a straight. If you don't improve and the river is otherwise non-threatening (not a flush card or an overcard), you will need to consider calling the river. Against a very straightforward opponent the river is probably an easy fold, but against an opponent who has shown any propensity for trickiness/aggressiveness I'd call down. The pot has gotten big enough that it's probably worth staying in... you're getting a little over 9-2 on the call down and your hand rates to be good quite often.

I've seen opponents make this kind of check-raise move with nothing more than a picked-up flush draw. Against some this kind of move means nothing short of trips, but you'll need to use your reads (no reads here given!!!) and poker instincts to decide on whether a river call will be right here.

krimson
07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Any reads on MP1? I'm thinking if he had top pair on the flop he would likely lead or c/r you. Why does he suddenly show interest in the T's on the turn? It's not an impossibility that he has a T, but I can't see people slow-playing a weak holding like this on the flop.

I'm thinking one of 2 possibilities, he is trying to steal the pot with a draw, as it looks like a pretty good opportunity to semi-bluff (it's headsup when the action gets to him on the turn, and it's fairly likely you will fold a non T). Or, he hit a set on the flop and slow-played it trying to get action.

I could maybe see calling down here. If he has trips then we have 6 outs as mentioned. He could have a fullhouse already giving us 2 or no outs, but he could also be on a bluff giving us the best hand. If the river comes spade which doesn't improve our hand, I would probably fold.