PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problems.

evans075
07-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Hopefully someone can be able to help me here. I have high speed cable modem in my apartment. The connection is run to a modem and was set up with my roomates computer. We have a router that the modem is plugged into and is run from the router to his and my computer (hard wired, not wireless). Here is the problem, his connection works fine but mine shows that it is connected and running at 100 mbps, but nothing will run. Internet explorer shows that i have connection problems, all of my messengers won't connect, and all of my poker sites won't connect. Basically its like i'm not connected at all. I ran ipconfig and i'm getting an ip address. I think it has something to do with the DNS suffix (I don't know that that is) Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with my computer??

FouTight
07-18-2005, 01:39 PM
what IP address are you getting?

is it a 192 address, a 169 address, or is it something different all together?

Is it obtaining the address through DHCP or is it set statically?

Is the computer turned on?

wh1t3bread
07-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Run ipconfig on BOTH machines and post here what it says.

evans075
07-18-2005, 02:04 PM
192!

DHCP!

I think so, the mouse is moving around and the screen is on. I see my icons and the start menu. Yes I think its on!

evans075
07-18-2005, 02:07 PM
I can't remember exactly (i'm at work) but he has two connections come up. one is just like mine no DNS suffix, same IP, and the same other two things, the other is totally different with a DNS suffix of hsp1.blabla.blabla.bla, a diff. IP address and diff. other stuff!