PDA

View Full Version : Postflop pwnage (Unarmed - peep this ish yo!)

pergesu
07-18-2005, 06:43 AM
I enjoy making experimental postflop plays. This was particularly fun. What do you guys think of this?

***** Hand History for Game 2383479050 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:14040291 Level:4 Blinds(50/100) - Monday, July 18, 06:38:05 EDT 2005
Table Table 13772 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 3: duyennghiep ( $2360 )
Seat 7: pattywack85 ( $1870 )
Seat 5: soonerfan001 ( $2060 )
Seat 6: rtibi ( $840 )
Seat 8: serj777 ( $870 )
Trny:14040291 Level:4
Blinds(50/100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to pattywack85 [ Jd 7s ]
serj777 folds.
duyennghiep folds.
soonerfan001 raises [200].
rtibi folds.
pattywack85 calls [100].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qh, 8d, 8s ]
pattywack85 checks.
soonerfan001 bets [300].
pattywack85 calls [300].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 3s ]
pattywack85 bets [625].
soonerfan001 calls [625].
** Dealing River ** [ Ts ]
pattywack85 is all-In [745]

DasLeben
07-18-2005, 06:46 AM
You mean experimental as in...stupid? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pergesu
07-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Basically

bluef0x
07-18-2005, 06:48 AM
i didnt like that all-in with 10-j :P you had a huge stack of 5.2k ... you dont need to double up anyone.

i liked the call with 10-7 tho, u were getting 2:1.

billyjex
07-18-2005, 06:49 AM
if money is of no object to you, the play is ok, i guess.

the cards he called your bet on the turn with that he's folding to your river push are...........

Bigwig
07-18-2005, 06:58 AM
You been reading Scuba Chuck's series of 'Betting Impetus' posts?

They're not selling well, BTW.

pergesu
07-18-2005, 07:03 AM
I've been messing around with check-calling the flop and leading the turn, inspired from some advice Unarmed gave me in order to not be horrible with overpairs. So I just felt like testing it out a bit in other situations.

He laid down, which I thought was funny. Went on to wtf_pwn the tourney cause of my newfound stack.

curtains
07-18-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been messing around with check-calling the flop and leading the turn, inspired from some advice Unarmed gave me in order to not be horrible with overpairs. So I just felt like testing it out a bit in other situations.

He laid down, which I thought was funny. Went on to wtf_pwn the tourney cause of my newfound stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sit and Gos are NOT THAT HARD! Do not do stuff like this EVER, its completely insane and ridiculous to do this in a $22 sit and go, and there is absolutely no merit to the play.

pergesu
07-18-2005, 07:32 AM
A man's gotta have some fun. Ship it.

As for plays like this being insane, pretty much anyone who knows me is well aware that insanity is standard.

But I agree this is a losing play.

Freudian
07-18-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A man's gotta have some fun. Ship it.

As for plays like this being insane, pretty much anyone who knows me is well aware that insanity is standard.

But I agree this is a losing play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beware. Down that path lies madness. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Unarmed
07-18-2005, 09:12 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ok:

Good things about this hand:
- Your play is completely consistent with an 8.
- You put your opponent to a decision for (basically) his tournament life without risking yours

Bad things about this hand:
- You called a PF raise with J7o, and it *looks* like you called that raise with the intention of moving Villain off the hand with nothing. Go Doyle!
- You pushed the river after Villain pot committed himself on the turn
- This is a $22

So anyway, fold PF (obviously) You at least want *something* to fight back with. Also, when you're trying to move an opponent off a better hand you sort of want to have a clue that they're weak. In this case Villain raises PF (donk raise but whatever, that could mean anything) and leads to flop for 3/4 pot or whatever on a paired board.

Ok, nothing out of the ordinary here, so just let it go. He's done nothing to make you think he doesn't have a hand. You flat call with the intention of leading the turn and moving him off whatever he has. Ok, I don't mind that, except he raised PF so he probably has a hand he likes. If there was no raise PF its great.

You lead the turn for 625. You can go a bit less here if you like I think as the change in impetus is powerful enough on its own. 525 still has the look of a pot committing bet, so I'd go with that. Now, once called you are done with the hand. Period. Villain just pot stuck himself, except for that rare instance he has AKs or whatever and will release on the river if he misses.

If I get the feeling Villain is begging for a cheap showdown by calling the turn like this I will sometimes ram my stack down his throat on the river with air. However, its really read dependent. I can't even explain why I do it, its just a feeling. Anyway, this definitely isn't one of those spots because:

- you don't have enough of a stack to move him off anything but a whiffed draw
- his play is in no way inconsistent with a huge hand

That last point is pretty important. He doesn't have to raise a big hand on the turn as the only draw is runner runner. If he has something huge he'll just let you hang yourself. If he's afraid you have an 8 and he has something like KK or Qx, he'll try to get to S/D cheaply, but he's definitely not releasing. So just check/fold the river.

Anyway, forgetting all that for a moment. The absolute best thing about this hand is:
[ QUOTE ]

I enjoy making experimental postflop plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ever stop. Try some stupid ish and we'll tell you whether its idiotic or not. That's how you learn.