PDA

View Full Version : 5-handed, call all-in with A9o?

pergesu
07-18-2005, 06:36 AM
I've been making a point of noticing situations when I think I should be calling a lot looser than I normally do, which is usually 5-handed and ITM. Anyway here's a hand that I called instantly, but SNGPT doesn't like so much. Says it's a pretty marginal call with a push range of 22+,A2+,K2+,Q2s+,Q6o+,J7s+,J9o+,T8s+,98s, which is undoubtedly a bit too loose. Keeping with the theme of me not understanding anything...hopefully someone can explain to me what made this call so bad.

***** Hand History for Game 2383466491 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:14040265 Level:5 Blinds(75/150) - Monday, July 18, 06:28:43 EDT 2005
Table Table 13769 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: pokersteve31 ( $1220 )
Seat 3: dewey2004 ( $790 )
Seat 7: CANCER4U ( $2815 )
Seat 8: chaohungma ( $1985 )
Seat 9: pattywack85 ( $1190 )
Trny:14040265 Level:5
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to pattywack85 [ Ah 9c ]
pokersteve31 folds.
dewey2004 folds.
CANCER4U folds.
chaohungma is all-In [1910]
pattywack85 is all-In [1040]

bluef0x
07-18-2005, 06:39 AM
I think you'd have to base this more on reads... I made a call with A-9 also today- but the other player was in a position to push with any two.

Seems to me chao could be pushing any two also- but has he been tight or pushing a lot the last orbit or 2?

curtains
07-18-2005, 06:46 AM
I call. Hand too strong headsup with both players having 6-7x the BB.

HesseJam
07-18-2005, 06:48 AM
You are right, the pushing range may be too loose. I wouldn't push with that range. I'd play it somewhat tighter. At that stage I don't feel like making moves with Q2s and such.

But I sometimes also make your call with A9. I can see that it may be wrong. You have position on the other smaller stacks, so it might be better to push there, if you get the chance. It's read dependent. If I think the aggressor is loose I make the call with AJ.

curtains
07-18-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are right, the pushing range may be too loose. I wouldn't push with that range. I'd play it somewhat tighter. At that stage I don't feel like making moves with Q2s and such.

But I sometimes also make your call with A9. I can see that it may be wrong. You have position on the other smaller stacks, so it might be better to push there, if you get the chance. It's read dependent. If I think the aggressor is loose I make the call with AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a mistake to fold Q2s from the SB in this situation. Btw in the $215's it's a cold day in hell when I fold A9o here. I don't believe anyone could convince me to do so in any structure.

curtains
07-18-2005, 06:52 AM
btw please note that if you are going to fold A9o here in the BB, SB is throwing away money if they dont move allin with any 2.

bluef0x
07-18-2005, 06:54 AM
woudlnt this matter on the level and opponent though?

im sure in the 55s+ opponenets will push with any two. but what if this was a guy was an idiot who doubled/trippled up early and has been very tight the game... would you still call with a-9o? this is the 22's...

curtains
07-18-2005, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
woudlnt this matter on the level and opponent though?

im sure in the 55s+ opponenets will push with any two. but what if this was a guy was an idiot who doubled/trippled up early and has been very tight the game... would you still call with a-9o? this is the 22's...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I suppose it's possible to use a read in this situation, although it really pains me to use a read and thus make the "theoretically incorrect" play because of it. I try to keep such things to a minimum.

Anyway in a minute Ill tell you what % of hands SB should push with and what % of hands BB should call with in a perfect game. Working it out right now.

HesseJam
07-18-2005, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a mistake to fold Q2s from the SB in this situation. Btw in the $215's it's a cold day in hell when I fold A9o here. I don't believe anyone could convince me to do so in any structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I will have a look at SNGPT when I get back home. Maybe I should notch up my aggression a bit.

45suited
07-18-2005, 07:00 AM
I call here as well.

A little off topic (but related) question. At what buy-in do the majority of the players begin to play at least a semi "2+2 strategy"? I mean, I'm so used to reading posts on here that sometimes I forget that my opponents really aren't smart enough to use proper aggression from the SB late in the game with high blinds.

That being said, even on an 11 or22, I think I have to call here.

HesseJam
07-18-2005, 07:34 AM
I play the 22s. During the last 25 SnGs almost all players were timid, not even close to the push fest strategy.

Down to the last 3 where the call and the miniraise is still alive and well, I usually push 50 of my hands. I am not pushing some clear push hands but fold or 1.5 to 2 BB raise them to keep my image. Probably a mistake.

Heads up I push 80% of my hands from the SB and about 50% if I get called in the BB. I push 75% of the non or mini-raised flops if I was called preflop and I checked.

HesseJam
07-18-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway in a minute Ill tell you what % of hands SB should push with and what % of hands BB should call with in a perfect game. Working it out right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

sound of finger tapping on the desk....

curtains
07-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Sorry I got distracted...I think it was something like SB should push top 86% and BB should then call with top 26%. I forget, I was having some trouble figuring it out, but I think its around those numbers.

HesseJam
07-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks! Top 86%? Crazy! Even if I feel like a bully at the 22s, I have still a long way to go.

I also might have a psychological problem with pushing so many hands. I am afraid of being identified as a "mindless" pusher and laughed at when being kicked out. It stings. That can't be good.