PDA

View Full Version : Half of my finishes are 3rd or 4th place. Uh.

J Chap
07-18-2005, 03:53 AM
Party NL 33s.

After 10 tourneys, I'd say whatever.

After 20 tourneys, I'd say interesting -- but whatever.

Now it's been over 50 tourneys, and I continue to finish half of them in either 3rd or 4th place.

I wouldn't be as concerned if this were like 50% 2nds and 5ths - but 3rd and 4th are neigbors - it's like I'm fudging it all up right around the bubble or shortly thereafter.

I know my sample size is meaningless, but please tell me what you'd tell someone who had an overrepresentation of 3rds and 4ths after 500 tourneys. Just curious.

Could I have some sort of clear strategical fault here? I want a diagnosis!

TY!
JChaaap

tshort
07-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Most good players have half 3rds and 4ths.

The other half is 1st and 2nds.

2callzU
07-18-2005, 04:25 AM
Why don't you read more of this forum. Refer to the F.A.Q. at the top and read about SNG strategy. Nobody cares about how you've finished. Besides, you haven't given enough information as to why you might be finishing like this.

HesseJam
07-18-2005, 04:26 AM
50 is still a low number.

My first 50 were about the same. Now I have the majority at 1st and 6th. With the first 50 I was very active in the first rounds and arrived at the bubble shortstacked, ie, I either had to be very aggressive (=high risk of busting at 4th or I stayed very passive if I thought I could tiptoe into 3rd with a very low stack).

I now play very tight in the 1sr 3 rounds. If I play, I play very aggressively. Very often I arrive at the bubble with either 550 to 650 chips or 1400 to 2500 chips. So, if I don't bust at 4th I start the last three most times with 1500 to 3000 chips.

DJ Sensei
07-18-2005, 05:14 AM
Sup Jchap. There are a few possible things that could cause this:

you often arrive on the bubble shortstacked (from overaggressive early play, perhaps?)
you play conservatively, perhaps being more concerned with getting ITM rather than playing for the win

It seems that most very successful players have more 1sts, 2nds, 5ths and 6ths than anything else, because they take appropriate risks when the blinds are high enough to warrant it, and generally either build up a big enough stack to dominate the table, or bust out trying.

If you want, i'd be glad to take a look at some of your games, just shout me a holler.

future
07-18-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party NL 33s.

After 10 tourneys, I'd say whatever.

After 20 tourneys, I'd say interesting -- but whatever.

Now it's been over 50 tourneys, and I continue to finish half of them in either 3rd or 4th place.

I wouldn't be as concerned if this were like 50% 2nds and 5ths - but 3rd and 4th are neigbors - it's like I'm fudging it all up right around the bubble or shortly thereafter.

I know my sample size is meaningless, but please tell me what you'd tell someone who had an overrepresentation of 3rds and 4ths after 500 tourneys. Just curious.

Could I have some sort of clear strategical fault here? I want a diagnosis!

TY!
JChaaap

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably aren't pushing enough in marginally +EV situations.