PDA

View Full Version : The Who, The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin?

SaintAces
07-18-2005, 02:56 AM
Vote your favorite.

istewart
07-18-2005, 02:57 AM
Led Zeppelin.

battschr
07-18-2005, 02:57 AM
Stones...and it isn't close.

Colonel Kataffy
07-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Led Zeppelin, the Who are a close second, Rolling Stones are a distant third.

diebitter
07-18-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

You're right, it isn't even close.

They're third in my book, and I don't rate the Zep at all.

battschr
07-18-2005, 05:11 AM
Man...lots of hate for the best band ever.

tbach24
07-18-2005, 05:35 AM
The Stones. My favorite band of all time.

MrFeelNothin
07-18-2005, 06:39 AM
this explains a lot.

sfer
07-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Mod era Who is awesome. Who's Next might be the best album ever made.

sam h
07-18-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MaxPower
07-18-2005, 11:04 AM
The results of this poll are exactly backwards. The Who are no doubt the best band listed here, followed by the Stones, and Zepellin is last.

Sorry guys, you are all wrong.

battschr
07-18-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The results of this poll are exactly backwards. The Who are no doubt the best band listed here, followed by the Stones, and Zepellin is last.

Sorry guys, you are all wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because your tastes are indeed to be taken as a fact of right and wrong. I apologize for being incorrect then.

bobbyi
10-23-2005, 05:22 PM
If you voted for a band who promotes their songs through tie-ins with the televsion program "Days of Our Lives" when you could have voted for Zeppelin, you should be ashamed of yourself.

10-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Zep all the way. The other two are better than nothing.

CardSharpCook
10-23-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just picked this up tuther day. Yes it is awesome. This is another stupid poll. Besides, the answer is obviously Zepp

Clarkmeister
10-23-2005, 05:38 PM
This reminds me of that Sesame Street segment.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong....

CardSharpCook
10-23-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL NH, sir.

tdarko
10-23-2005, 05:53 PM
i had a really hard time picking since all three have albums that are amongst my favorite all time...exile, next, graffiti.

i ended up picking Zep.

dibbs
10-23-2005, 06:05 PM
For me it's Zep by far and away.

I really do love me some Stones though, especially as of late.

10-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones, Who.

kbfc
10-23-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin, Floyd, Who, Stones.

[/ QUOTE ]

NoRiverRats
10-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Zep...no question

10-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Robert Plant has nice jeans, I vote zep

TheBlueMonster
10-23-2005, 08:49 PM
The Who - Coolest
The Stones - Some of my favorite individual songs
Zep - pure rock n roll baby

Drew16
10-23-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dizong
10-23-2005, 11:15 PM
#1 - Zep. Imagine opening LZ III and listening to opening track for the first time. Every album is legendary (especially through Physical Graffiti). Live Zep between 1971-early 1973 (right before "The Song Remains The Same" was filmed), there is no parallel.

#2 - Stones. Great, especially with Mick Taylor and especially live in the early 70s. After Tattoo You --> meh

#3 - Who. Who's Next is great, but I'm not as fond of their other stuff.

dizong

jaydub
10-23-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Luv2DriveTT
10-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Just met Rodger Daltry & Pete Townsend at the launch party for their new live DVD of Quadrophenia & Tommy. I got a signed copy, unfortunately I think it sucks and should have been buried in a closet forever... never to be released. Both were recorded long past their prime.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

razor
10-24-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just met Rodger Daltry & Pete Townsend at the launch party for their new live DVD of Quadrophenia & Tommy. I got a signed copy, unfortunately I think it sucks and should have been buried in a closet forever... never to be released. Both were recorded long past their prime.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

Claunchy
10-24-2005, 02:48 AM
This is a good poll because all three bands are so close, despite what a lot of people seem to think. I'm going with the Stones.

Fratony
10-24-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good poll because all three bands are so close, despite what a lot of people seem to think. I'm going with the Stones.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong, this poll is ridiculous. Trying to rate top tier bands on "who's the best" is stupid and reserved for useless stations like VH-1. Polls like this make me sick, all these bands are legandary and deserve to be resepected as such. None are better, it is based on taste and mood, if you cant see why, leave.

Claunchy
10-24-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong, this poll is ridiculous. Trying to rate top tier bands on "who's the best" is stupid and reserved for useless stations like VH-1. Polls like this make me sick, all these bands are legandary and deserve to be resepected as such. None are better, it is based on taste and mood, if you cant see why, leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see your point regarding there being no right or wrong answer, but you, my friend, take pop music WAY too seriously.

Fratony
10-24-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I see your point regarding there being no right or wrong answer, but you, my friend, take pop music WAY too seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont see where you derive this statement from. For the most part i despise pop and search anywhere i can (OOT usually provides good substance) for something good. Popular opinion has very little effect on what i decide to listen to.

Claunchy
10-24-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont see where you derive this statement from. For the most part i despise pop and search anywhere i can (OOT usually provides good substance) for something good. Popular opinion has very little effect on what i decide to listen to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you under the impression that the three bands in the OP are not pop music?

Also, I like stuff that doesn't suck too. I simply don't think disgust is an feeling I would ever have towards anyone's opinion of music, whether I thought it was great or not.

NLSoldier
10-24-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin, Floyd, Who, Stones.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fratony
10-24-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Are you under the impression that the three bands in the OP are not pop music?

Also, I like stuff that doesn't suck too. I simply don't think disgust is an feeling I would ever have towards anyone's opinion of music, whether I thought it was great or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know where you derived this idea that I "digust" anyone here's view of music. I also wouldnt call these bands "pop". When i think of pop i think Britany Spears, N'sync, and madonna. The bands in question are ledgendary rock moguls, not to be confused with the former.

flair1239
10-24-2005, 10:00 AM
I enjoy all three of these bands.

I like Zepplin because they were not afraid to experiment. However for some reason I never really got into Robert Plants solo albums.

I love the Stones. Specifically the "Exile on Mainstreet" album. I thought "Sticky Fingers" was excellent as well. My only complaint about the Stones, is that over the last 20 years they have kind of become a "cover band", of themselves. I imagine someone in this thread will accuse them of "selling out" or something like that; but I don't think that is the case. I just think they really have not put out a relevant album in a long time. Which in no way detracts from their previous work.

The Who, has always just been OK by me. I enjoy some their stuff, have a few albums. But really don't go out of my way to hear them to often. Something about the sound has just never really clicked with me.

samjjones
10-24-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You could make a serious case for it, yes.

FWIW, I like all three bands. But if I could only listen to one, I'd go with Zeppelin, as their body of work as a whole is of a higher quality and more diverse than the others.

zephed56
10-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Led Zeppelin, in a landslide.

Q: Which of the bands on this list has Jimmy Page played with?

A: All three. The Stones and The Who both hired Jimmy Page as a session guitarist.

MelK
10-24-2005, 10:15 AM
When considered in the context of their times, The Who was the most innovative band of the three. Pete Townsend is a genius.

The Stones are more derivitive of R&B and Led Zep had the whole 60's to build upon (of course their individual members were a part of that scene).

Three great bands, but The Who stands out.

WDC
10-24-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said

colgin
10-24-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the original poll didn't ask people which band was best (of course arguments can be made for or against). It merely asked which was people's favorite. This is totally subjective (and there is nothing wrong with that) and, as someone who likes/loves all three bands to varying degrees, I for one was interested to see how the poll numbers turned out.

colgin
10-24-2005, 06:38 PM
The Who was always my favorite band growing up. I must have listened to All of Qyuadrophenia twice per day every day after school when I was in the seventh grade. Yes, I was one of those kids. Notwithstanding Pete Townsend's apparent efforts to destroy any remaining good will with his fans by continuing to sell off the rest of The Who catalogue to various commercials, I guess out of loyalty I still give them the nod as to "favorite" of the three although I definitely have spent more time listening to Stones albums over the past 10 years.

FWIW, Townsend once admitted that while they tried to compete with The Stones back in the heyday as best band, he acknowledged that The Stones were the more impriotant and greater band. Perhaps. But for my money The Who totally rocked out more than the Stones and as a youth I related much more to The WHo's lyrics and music. Compare "The Kids Are Alright" movie to "Ladies and Gentleman The Rolling Stones" and other examles of the Stones' often shoddy live performances and you will see where I am coming from.

Zep is, of curse, also great. As with The Who and The Stones, I have all of their albums. Butthey never moved me the same way the other two bands did. So while acknowledging their greatness I put them last of all three.