PDA

View Full Version : Look, some money.

David04
07-18-2005, 02:39 AM
Hypothetical situation. You are walking down the street and see some money on the ground. What is the smallest denomination of money that is required for you to pick the money up?

ThaSaltCracka
07-18-2005, 02:43 AM
$1, but I am not opposed to grabbing .25

Jack of Arcades
07-18-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$1, but I am not opposed to grabbing .25

[/ QUOTE ]

David04
07-18-2005, 02:49 AM
I don't understand. If you both are not opposed to picking up $.25, then you should have voted for the $.25 option. I voted for $.25....there should be at least 3 votes. Unless one of you doesn't understand how the poll works.

battschr
07-18-2005, 02:50 AM
$1

JoshuaD
07-18-2005, 02:51 AM
I voted .25. Occasionally I can be bothered with a dime, but usually I'll just pass it by.

MarkL444
07-18-2005, 02:53 AM
quarters are too useful for laundry to pass on them

TimM
07-18-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand. If you both are not opposed to picking up $.25, then you should have voted for the $.25 option. I voted for $.25....there should be at least 3 votes. Unless one of you doesn't understand how the poll works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted for $1, but sometimes I will go for the quarter. I don't like to carry coins, so it's usually when I am on my way to my car or apartment, or I am about to buy something, etc.

Matty
07-18-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]They both just like posting for posting's sake and needed an excuse.

rusellmj
07-18-2005, 03:09 AM
I pick up any and all money. especially the hundreds of pennies I come across. They all go right into my 6yo's piggy bank.

ThaSaltCracka
07-18-2005, 03:10 AM
well, it would have to be convenient for me to grab a quarter. But if its paper, I would grab it no matter what.

JaBlue
07-18-2005, 03:51 AM
If someone tells me that there's a $20 bill on the ground I reply that surely someone else would have picked up that $20 before me, and therefore there is in fact no $20 bill on the ground.

Yeti
07-18-2005, 04:22 AM
I voted $5. I am very surprised by the results.

Reef
07-18-2005, 04:31 AM
I go to the grocery store. I buy stuff, pay in cash, and get change. One of the coins drops to the floor- it's a penny. I don't bother to get it.

I voted .25

For those who voted $1, I don't think they realize how fast change adds up. Last summer, all the coins I saved up from the 3 month span added up to a nice Ulysses Grant bill.

jakethebake
07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
"Find a penny, pick it up.

All day long, you'll have good luck."

I can never remember which shoe I'm supposed to put it in though. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Marc B
07-18-2005, 11:45 AM
$5 or .25. $1 is too likely to be a "poo dollar" if it's just lying on the street. Don't ask how I know this.

private joker
07-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Quarters are winning the poll because they're needed for parking meters, washing machines, vending machines, etc. Dimes are useless -- they're just dead weight to be collected until you have enough to spend. I will give dimes/nickels/pennies to homeless people if they ask, but I won't go out of my way to retrieve one.

I have a change cup in my car that's great for collecting various dimes/nickels/pennies, and when I go through drive-thru, that's when I get rid of them. If the meal is $5.48, I can just grab 48 cents worth of change. If I'm in a store and I get change, that loose change goes right from my pockets to the change cup in my car.

My grocery store (Ralph's) has one of those CoinStar machines that counts all your change and gives you a nice fat ticket to apply towards your groceries. That's always fun. You have a bowl of crap change sitting around -- remove all the quarters for laundry purposes, then take the rest and put it in CoinStar. Instant $30 towards your groceries.

Digression. Anyway, I'll pick a quarter up off the ground if I see one. Anything over $1 I'll usually look around to see who dropped it and tell them. This happens with fives the most. Hey buddy, you dropped a five. I don't think I've ever found $20.

bosoxfan
07-18-2005, 12:27 PM
What's a poo dollar?

RacersEdge
07-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Why didn't you just include a penny and forget about the last choice?

Marc B
07-18-2005, 12:36 PM
You asked...

For kicks, some juvenile teenagers take a dollar bill, wipe their ass with it, and then stick it poo-side down on the sidewalk. Then they just sit back from a distance and watch the expressions of people who try to pick it up. Most immediately drop it back on the street once they smell/see.

d10
07-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I'll only pick up $1 if it's money I find, but if it's money I drop myself I'll pick it up all the way down to $.05.

lucas9000
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
quarters are too useful for laundry to pass on them

[/ QUOTE ]

Brain
07-18-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quarters are winning the poll because they're needed for parking meters, washing machines, vending machines, etc. Dimes are useless -- they're just dead weight to be collected until you have enough to spend. I will give dimes/nickels/pennies to homeless people if they ask, but I won't go out of my way to retrieve one.

I have a change cup in my car that's great for collecting various dimes/nickels/pennies, and when I go through drive-thru, that's when I get rid of them. If the meal is $5.48, I can just grab 48 cents worth of change. If I'm in a store and I get change, that loose change goes right from my pockets to the change cup in my car.

My grocery store (Ralph's) has one of those CoinStar machines that counts all your change and gives you a nice fat ticket to apply towards your groceries. That's always fun. You have a bowl of crap change sitting around -- remove all the quarters for laundry purposes, then take the rest and put it in CoinStar. Instant $30 towards your groceries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quarters are very important, mainly for us suckers who don't have washers/dryers in our apartments.

Doesn't CoinStar hose you for 8 or 9% though? Maybe I'm being frugal (plus I like counting/rolling change for some reason) and around here we have banks that have the same type of coin counters for free.

EliteNinja
07-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Pennies