PDA

View Full Version : ergonomic, 99% mouse-free 4-tabling for $40

Cadence Lauren
07-18-2005, 02:01 AM
It looks like I am the first to post on this idea, and therefore perhaps the first to use this strategy.

After rapidly developing RSI 4 tabling with my new 1600 x 1200 resolution capable monitor, I did some searching and playing around and eventually developed a method of playing four tables at once without using a mouse. It involves the following:
- AutoHotKey freeware
- allSnap freeware
- a Nostromo Speedpad n52 (about $40)

The n52 is the key component. Any previous attempts at multi-tabling using keyboard commands proved more stressful than using a mouse.

The basics go like this:

1. Write an AutoHotKey script that assigns key combinations to the mouse clicks that are necessary for common poker actions. For example, Ctrl + Numpad1 = select top left table, or Alt + Numpad3 = click "bet" or "raise."

2. Assign n52 keys to those key combinations, and therefore those mouse clicks, using simple macros. The n52 comes with a very intuitive profile editor that makes this easy.

3. Spend some time on play money tables to acclimate yourself to the key setup you've chosen (and ultimately to see if this system will work for you--if not, return the n52 and your net investment for this experiment is a couple of hours and $0).

4. Play as normal.

The only PartyPoker actions I still have to use the mouse for are joining waitlists, sitting down at tables, and moving tables on my desktop. I may be forgetting a few others, but I make at least 99% of my gameplay actions using the n52.

Although it will probably take you a couple of hours to install and set up AutoHotKey, familiarize yourself with the necessary AutoHotKey script, and set up the n52 profile, the physical learning curve is not steep. In less than 30 minutes, my game play was just as accurate as it was using a mouse, and my speed of action was actually a good deal faster. The n52 has the added advantage of being extremely ergonomic--I have no RSI complaints anymore.

The net result of developing and using this system has been a good deal of time saved and pain relieved. Although it took quite a bit of experimenting and time to tune it to the degree that I have, the AutoHotKey script and n52 profile I provide should give you a shortcut to mouse-free poker in the shortest time possible.

Rather than turn this into a very lengthy post, I have posted the AutoHotKey script and n52 profile I use, plus comprehensive links and more detailed instructions, in my LiveJournal.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/caydenza/44606.html

I disabled comments there, so if you have comments, critiques, or suggestions, please leave them here.

Nomad84
07-18-2005, 11:18 PM
I am not familiar with the Nostromo Speedpad n52. It appears to be a device that combines a gamepad with keyboard functionality and is operated with your left hand. Is this correct? Do you rest it on a desk or leg or is it held or something else? Do you still have your right hand free for mousing?

Thanks.

Cadence Lauren
07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
You are correct on all counts. It is exclusively left handed, and combines macro-programable keys with a (macro-programmable) gamepad. You rest it anywhere, and it does leave you open for mousing with your right hand. The setup I was using with AutoHotKey, a freeware program, however, eliminated the need for mousing to switch tables, select betting options, etc.

HOWEVER, I have had a few more days now with the ol' Nostromo, and I am regretting that I decided to try it in an effort to avoid buying the infinitely more powerful but four times as costly Ergodex DX1 (Ergodex Homepage (http://www.ergodex.com)). The problem is that the ergonomics don't hold up well for multi-hour sessions or over multiple days. The keys require too much pressure to engage, the pad is located too far from the keys even for my sizeable hands, and you have to work around the preset key locations in an effort to assign keyed actions to intuitive locations.

The Ergodex product promises to be infinitely more customizable and comfortable. Whereas I could only realistically assign 8 or so of the 15 available keys on the n52, I envision using 20 or more keys for many more functions on the DX1--functions such as Deal Me Out; Auto Post Blind; even an "all away" function that uses one key to click Deal Me Out on all open tables for when I want to take a break, and an "all back" function that does the same for unclicking Deal Me Out and then clicking Auto Post Blind. Plus, instead of reducing betting functions down to three semi-comfortable keys on the n52, I could easily program 6 keys in an intuitive setup to utilize all 6 limit betting buttons using the DX1.

Needless to say, after much research and bitter experience, I am biting the bullet and purchasing a DX1. I am currently building a bankroll (quite successfully, aside from ergonomic issues) and plan to realize a significant income from my online play by the beginning of next year. For that longterm goal, $150 seems like a fair price for the ultimate customizable solution that I hope the DX1 will bring. If it doesn't, such a solution pretty clearly doesn't exist. Just about every major gaming magazine I looked at online has called the DX1 the very top (and end) of the line for customizing key configurations and game commands.

I hope to write a much more positive post in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime I'd recommend against the Nostromo n52.

Johan
07-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Lol,

I just ordered it, after reading your first post. I'll ignore your second post and just pretend it is what i want...

Johan

Cadence Lauren
07-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Yikes. Very sorry. Hope it works for you. The AutoHotKey script, at least, is solid.

Johan
07-21-2005, 02:21 PM
No problemo,

It came in today and I like it very much, It does everything I need it to do.

Johan

Cadence Lauren
07-21-2005, 04:49 PM
I feel absolved, then.

waffle
07-22-2005, 05:28 AM
i do the same thing with an xbox controller.

Femto
08-08-2005, 01:44 AM
well, do we get a DX1 update or what?

SuperflyMD
08-16-2005, 04:16 PM
bump

Any updates?

theredbaron
08-17-2005, 08:09 AM
After reading a few posts and seeing a couple of pictures, I decided to try out a game controller/autohotkey combination.

At first it was a bit of a struggle, but now I play 4 to 8 tables without ever touching the mouse/keyboard (unless I want to chat).

I use a logitech cordless rumblepad ($39) which has two joysticks, a POV pad and 12 buttons.

Two autohotkey scripts do the rest.

Setup:

Right joystick acts as mouse.
Buttons:
Button 1: fold
Button 2: call
Button 3: raise
Button 4: ALL IN
Button 5: Cycle to next active window
Button 6: left mouse
Button 7: close current window (useful after missing a buyin)
Button 8: right mouse button
Button 9: Autobuyin to tournament in my favorite seat
Button 10: bring lobby to front and refresh game list
Button 11: autoarrange all open tables
Button 12: not used (yet)

Left joystick: not used (yet)

POV pad: raises lowers NL bet.
up/down by 100, left/right by 5

There is also a background routine that scans the tables and makes _darn sure_ that when I click a button, the table with the 'action buttons' is the active window. Further explanation: MTH brings any window requiring action to the lower right corner of my screen, but does not necessarily give it the input focus. My routine checks to see if the lower right table has the action buttons and if it does, then forces the input focus on it. This helps avoid misclicks.

It might not be the most 'ergonomic' setup, but it's really put the fun back in multitables for me.

Kudos to the autohotkey guys, and to all the 2+2ers that helped spark the idea. Mouseless poker rules.

SuperflyMD
08-17-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There is also a background routine that scans the tables and makes _darn sure_ that when I click a button, the table with the 'action buttons' is the active window.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this background routine? Was it part of the AutoHotKey package?

I'm thinking of combining what you did with voice recognition software and doing this hands free on one of my computers. I'm usually dictating other stuff if I'm working at that computer, so I've already got the headset on and the software running.

On my laptop, I think I'll try what you did, but with some sort of gamepad or numberpad that I can sit on the arm of the couch/recliner and operate with one hand. I'm usually in the living room with my family when using this one, so voice recognition would just make it seem like my psych meds weren't working.

SF

mudbuddha
08-17-2005, 12:35 PM
is voice recognition that accurate yet? that u would trust money to it
??

SuperflyMD
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
In my other applications it does pretty good. I'm a low limit (.5/1 to 3/6) recreational player, but even so, I will try this on play tables until i get bugs worked out.

I'd actually prefer it if some poker site would simply include hotkeys in their programming. It seems like a pretty easily surmountable problem and I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting it.

BTW: In case you haven't seen it, there is another thread specifically regarding using voice recognition for online poker.

theredbaron
08-17-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There is also a background routine that scans the tables and makes _darn sure_ that when I click a button, the table with the 'action buttons' is the active window.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this background routine? Was it part of the AutoHotKey package?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I wrote it using the autohotkey lanquage. Here it is, but you'd need to _customize_ it for your screen size. Mine is 1600x1200 and I use MultiTableHelper which always puts the 'needy' window in the bottom right of my screen.

begin script:

;
; automatically activate the botttom right window when multitabling using MTH
;
#persistent
SetTimer, MyActivate, 100

return
;
; bring current window requiring action into focus
; so mousemoves and clicks will go to the right window
;
MyActivate:
setTitleMatchMode,2
WinGet, tableIDs, list, Hold'em
topcounter = 0
bottomcounter = 0
Loop, %tableIDs%
{
thisID := tableIDs%a_index%
;msgbox, %thisID% %a_index%
WinGetPos , x , y , w , h, ahk_id %thisID%

;msgbox, %x% %y%
if ((x = 806) and (y = 599) ) ; bottom right window
{
ControlGet, fold, visible,, AfxWnd42s14 ,ahk_id %thisID%

;msgbox, fold is %fold%
if (fold = 0)
{
return ; no buttons visible
}

WinActivate, ahk_id %thisID%
return

}
}
return

lozen
08-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Also using a Gamepad for four tables. Will have to figure out next active window as I am using the joystick as the pointer to get to table.

TrueBritt
10-24-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After reading a few posts and seeing a couple of pictures, I decided to try out a game controller/autohotkey combination.

At first it was a bit of a struggle, but now I play 4 to 8 tables without ever touching the mouse/keyboard (unless I want to chat).

I use a logitech cordless rumblepad ($39) which has two joysticks, a POV pad and 12 buttons.

Two autohotkey scripts do the rest.

Setup:

Right joystick acts as mouse.
Buttons:
Button 1: fold
Button 2: call
Button 3: raise
Button 4: ALL IN
Button 5: Cycle to next active window
Button 6: left mouse
Button 7: close current window (useful after missing a buyin)
Button 8: right mouse button
Button 9: Autobuyin to tournament in my favorite seat
Button 10: bring lobby to front and refresh game list
Button 11: autoarrange all open tables
Button 12: not used (yet)

Left joystick: not used (yet)

POV pad: raises lowers NL bet.
up/down by 100, left/right by 5

There is also a background routine that scans the tables and makes _darn sure_ that when I click a button, the table with the 'action buttons' is the active window. Further explanation: MTH brings any window requiring action to the lower right corner of my screen, but does not necessarily give it the input focus. My routine checks to see if the lower right table has the action buttons and if it does, then forces the input focus on it. This helps avoid misclicks.

It might not be the most 'ergonomic' setup, but it's really put the fun back in multitables for me.

Kudos to the autohotkey guys, and to all the 2+2ers that helped spark the idea. Mouseless poker rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't find your AHK script. Specifically, I need to know what I put in the script to refer to my logitech button 1, etc.