PDA

View Full Version : Horribly misplayed set of tens

07-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Stars $11, first hand of the tournament. Only just moved up from $5.50 (this is from my 3rd $11) so I have even less of a potential read on my opponents.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls t60.

Flop: (t190) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t700</font>, Hero calls t300.

Turn: (t1590) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t700</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2290

If villain has flopped any pair, two pair or a set, he's surely going to be throwing in more than 100 into a 190 pot with that flop. If he flopped the straight, surely he checks or bets less than a hundred, to guarantee some action?

It feels like he wants to see another card as cheaply as possible, I put him on a straight draw and think my set is good. Am I raising enough here?

He comes over the top, but for the minimum amount. Now it feels like I'm being trapped. Should my options at this point be push or fold? I decide to call and then push the turn if the board doesn't get any scarier - which unfortunatley it does. Oh well, there goes half my stack on the first hand.

Please be gentle.

nate_king1
07-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I would have called because...
1. Its an 11
2. He could be betting with anything not just draws or 2 pairs
3. you can still draw out on him at the river.

Just me. I would have also moved allin after the flop.

11t
07-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Why did you call the flop? Push over the top.

This is the 2nd worse played have I have ever witnessed, however I did something equally ridiculous. You are thinking way too hard, this is an 11 dollar tournament.

He bet 100 into a 190 pot, which he is probably tryiing to figure out where he is and you re-raised him (correctly) on a dangerous board with a powerful hand. He re-raised you. He does not have you beat unless he bet out with a straight (which he limped UTG and called a raise with j9/96?). Protect your hand and push here.

You are pot stuck on the turn, and if he has a 9 you have 10 outs to a boat/quads but I'd be willing to bet he is some donk with 87s and he flopped two pair.

Welcome to the board.

Bluff Daddy
shoulda pushed the flop, im calling the turn bet too

Karak567
Push the flop and you have to call that turn.

07-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far. For those saying "push the flop", presumably you mean after the re-re-raise, not the initial 100?

11t
07-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Obviously.

JayKon
07-18-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the feedback so far. For those saying "push the flop", presumably you mean after the re-re-raise, not the initial 100?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, it depends on my mood, but I would probably push where you called on the flop.

And I echo ... welcome to 2+2.

Karak567
07-18-2005, 01:41 AM
yea

gildwulf
07-18-2005, 01:45 AM
This is probably the worst laydown I have ever seen...you have TEN outs to a boat, you are pot committed, and you have 3-1 odds to call...

You have to push this flop and if you don't you NEED to call the turn.

kuro
07-18-2005, 03:49 AM
Your flop play is fine. The board is a little coordinated, but it's fairly unlikely villain has a 9 and if he did he'd probably have pushed all-in. I don't mind calling the minraise at all because it gives villain a chance to bluff off the rest of his stack on the turn. But you have to call the turn push regardless of what card comes if you take that line.

J Chap
07-18-2005, 03:58 AM
and if he DOES have the damn 9, you just gotta say 'screw life', go tie up the ole noose, get up on the chair, and then untie yourself and climb back down because you just remembered you wanna go pound some more 11s.

rock!
J Chap

The Yugoslavian
07-18-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and if he DOES have the damn 9, you just gotta say 'screw life', go tie up the ole noose, get up on the chair, and then untie yourself and climb back down because you just remembered you wanna go pound some more 11s.

rock!
J Chap

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you write the foreward to my poker autobiography?

And you probably think I'm kidding, /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Yugoslav

curtains
07-18-2005, 04:04 AM
I would flat call preflop, I like your raise to 400 on the flop, but I dont like the flat call, I would move allin right away, pot is big and your hand isnt bulletproof...be satisfied if you take it down.

lastchance
07-18-2005, 04:22 AM
I raise to t350 first in on the flop, and obvious push from there. Also, yeah, call the turn with your 10 outs.

Oh yeah, and what curtainz said, though in a PS at L1, I don't feel raising is horrible.

curtains
07-18-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise to t350 first in on the flop, and obvious push from there. Also, yeah, call the turn with your 10 outs.

Oh yeah, and what curtainz said, though in a PS at L1, I don't feel raising is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course raising isnt horrible! I just choose not to, but its silly for anyone to say that raising is "horrible".

07-18-2005, 04:29 AM
Thanks again for all the feedback.

I think the main thing that never really entered my thought process at the time was the fact that I had outs for a boat/quads. I was just very scared of the straight, and thinking of how stupid I will feel for going out on the first hand.

durron597
07-18-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think the main thing that never really entered my thought process at the time was the fact that I had outs for a boat/quads. I was just very scared of the straight, and thinking of how stupid I will feel for going out on the first hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have a couple last place finishes per 100 SnGs you are losing value (most likely by seeing monsters under the bed in hands like this).

pokerlaw
07-18-2005, 09:31 AM
push the flop when the opponent raises to t700.

Phill S
07-18-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have a couple last place finishes per 100 SnGs you are losing value (most likely by seeing monsters under the bed in hands like this).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive got to echo this. Fear of coming last is a sure way to limit yourself to coming 4th.

Nothing to fear but fear itself. And so what if you come off looking like a donk. There is a fine line between retarded and genius in poker.

Phill

pokerlaw
07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thinking of how stupid I will feel for going out on the first hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong w/ goinig out on the first hand IF you flop a monster like this or similar circumstances. If you lose, jusr start up another.

For example, the other day/week, my AA got cracked by 67 when he called the rest of his chips with a st8 draw post turn to beat my set (board was something like 5 8 A Q). nothing you can do, but you HAVE to get all your chips ahead when you are most likely ahead. Here, that is after the flop.

gl and welcome to the forum.

LuvDemNutz
07-18-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You have to push this flop and if you don't you NEED to call the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

durron597
07-18-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a fine line between retarded and genius in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when I call an early small raise with 86s in position and flop a big draw or big monster and win a huge pot and get blasted "how could you call a raise with 8 high ??!?!??!"

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Phill S
07-18-2005, 10:42 AM
I love nothing more than seeing flops with weak pairs for 100 at levels 1-3, hitting my set and taking someones stack (if you try this at home, you need more than just the raiser for this to have good value, and i play 1500 chip games).

They just cant believe the injustice and cant see past their hand to see why i called.

Phill

gildwulf
07-18-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love nothing more than seeing flops with weak pairs for 100 at levels 1-3, hitting my set and taking someones stack (if you try this at home, you need more than just the raiser for this to have good value, and i play 1500 chip games).

They just cant believe the injustice and cant see past their hand to see why i called.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

100 chips is a lot to see a flop with weak pairs...I guess at Pokerstars it's not as big a deal but I never call more than a 3XBB raise.

I think the sooner hero gets rid of 'monsters-under-the-flop' syndrome the sooner his ROI will sky rocket.

hyde
07-18-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive got to echo this. Fear of coming last is a sure way to limit yourself to coming 4th.

Nothing to fear but fear itself. And so what if you come off looking like a donk. There is a fine line between retarded and genius in poker.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't think this is piling on, but Duron nailed this one. You have two huge leaks.
seeing monsters.
fear of looking like a donk.
I can't say I know how to fix those leaks, but being aware of them is a start.

hyde