PDA

View Full Version : Axo in the SB

kidcolin
07-17-2005, 11:45 PM
What's your standard preflop action here? If it's folded to me, I'll raise the BB. What about against a limper? 2 limpers?

IGMorton
07-18-2005, 12:30 AM
what do you mean by AXo? Most off suit aces should be folded after limpers. i think of them in 3 groups like this:

A9o, A8o are usually an open raise from MP or better for me.

A7o-A4o are definitely blind stealing hands from the button and sometimes from the cut-off.

A3o, A2o need to be played more cautiosly imho. Usually i'l steal from the button, always raise from the SB folded to me, and usually check from the button.

kidcolin
07-18-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm primarily concerned with from the SB. I play my Axo pretty much the same as you from elsewhere. My question is, given the discount of coming in from the SB, do you complete with certain Axo?

IGMorton
07-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Be warned my opinions are those of a guy with only about 15,000 hands of SH experience. But, i have spent many hours running poker stove analysis of heads up and 3 handed situations.

Limped to me in the SB, i complete:

after 1 limper: A9-A4
after 2 limpers: A3-A2

i don't raise at all here, even vs. 1 limper since the BB has yet to act and the limper will call leaving me no fold equity and an easilly dominated hand.

Folded to me in the SB, i raise:

tight BB: A9-A2
loose BB: A9-A4

Against the loose BB against which i presume i don't have much fold equity, i take HEPAP's advice that you should be cautios playing any hand with a duece or a trey.

Defending vs. a steal raise:

button stealing: call A9, A8
loose cut-off stealing: call A9, A8

if the cut-off is tight, i even fold those hands. i fold all the others here because i'm willing to admit i dont' have the necessary skills at reading players to see a showdown with ace high very often. i'm sure this is a bit weak, but a reasonable approach for non-experts.

kidcolin
07-18-2005, 01:56 AM
This is a little off topic, but good subject none the less.

I'm generally not a huge fan of calling from the SB against a blind steal. I think it usually should be a 3-bet. You lose all fold equity with these hands if you let the big blind in cheap.