PDA

View Full Version : my 2 final hands

orenthal
07-17-2005, 11:43 PM
9 people started the tourney and 7 were left at this point. blinds were 50/100.
i was in the big blind with KJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and i had about T1875.
MP1 (T975) limped, as did MP3 (725), everyone else folded to me and i checked.
Flop came K /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I checked and MP1 went all in for 875. MP2 called with his 625. I called as well. MP1 flipped over A9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and MP2 flipped over QJo. Of course the next two cards were spades and i lost to the flush. after this hand i had T900.
next hand i was in the small blind and had 66. had a few limpers and i raised 2x the bb. the button (big stack, dont know how many chips but more than me) called. flop comes 6 4 2. i checked, button checked. turn was a Q. i check, button checks. river comes 5. this was somewhat scary but i figured the only hand that could beat me was pocket 3's. i bet 100. button raised 300. i had 600 left in front of me and i reraised the rest of my stack. of course he had the pocket 3's.

on both hands i was trying to induce some bets, but apparently i made a mistake by not being more aggressive. did i really blow both of these, or was it just bad luck?

JP Rocks
07-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Assuming this is a pokerstars $11.... first hand is a bad beat post. Second hand you butchered. Assuming 2 limpers, plus the BB, plus your bet and the Buttons call, that makes the pot about t700, right? You had t700 left after the preflop raise, right? You have almost no choice but to push here, and most of the time, you will get called. Most guys in these games will call that bet with the following hands that wouldnt have raised preflop: 2 overcards, medium pair for an overpair to the board, or low pair for 2nd or 3rd set. He might have even called with his pocket threes if he put you on 2 overs. In this situation with a low stack, those t700 in the middle are gold to you. Push, and if he calls, this would just be another bad beat.

I'm not going to tell you how terrible your river push was after the reraise. Dude....

orenthal
07-18-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming this is a pokerstars $11.... first hand is a bad beat post. Second hand you butchered. Assuming 2 limpers, plus the BB, plus your bet and the Buttons call, that makes the pot about t700, right? You had t700 left after the preflop raise, right? You have almost no choice but to push here, and most of the time, you will get called. Most guys in these games will call that bet with the following hands that wouldnt have raised preflop: 2 overcards, medium pair for an overpair to the board, or low pair for 2nd or 3rd set. He might have even called with his pocket threes if he put you on 2 overs. In this situation with a low stack, those t700 in the middle are gold to you. Push, and if he calls, this would just be another bad beat.

I'm not going to tell you how terrible your river push was after the reraise. Dude....

[/ QUOTE ]

actually this was a live game. weekly tourney i play in with friends.
i think i misspoke about the 2nd hand. sorry about that. there were no limpers before the button. everyone folded to the button who limped in. there was $250 already in the pot before i raised 100 (100BB + button limp + my 50 SB). my 100 raise made it $400 and the button call made it $500. i had 700 in my stack at that point. button had a big stack.

i appreciate the input. the reraise after the river was pretty dreadful, but i thought if he had hit his straight that he would have just gone ahead and pushed me all in. my thinking was that my 100 bet after the river probably seemed like a pot stealer and since he was a pretty big stack his reraise could have very well been the same. just the same, you are right in that it wasnt a good time to reraise. it was pretty easy to put him on 3's and i should have known better.

11t
07-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Hand 1: Nothing you can do about it

Hand 2: Push preflop, min-raising with 66 at 9xbb is ridiculous.

Slowplaying is a bad idea in most situations.

orenthal
07-19-2005, 12:25 PM
what hands is it best to slowplay with? is it better to do so HU or with a few in the pot? looking back on it it seems clear that pushing earlier in the 2nd hand would have won me the hand most likely, but i was hoping to let him bet before i pushed.