PDA

View Full Version : Fancy or unusual barbeque items

BretWeir
07-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I'm hosting a barbeque next week, and am planning on putting out the usual spread of burgers, dogs, Italian sausage, etc.

But I'd also like to stretch my culinary skills and throw in some more unusual items. For example, I'm thinking about trying out the lemongrass-lamb-kebab-type things shown on this page. (http://eatdrink.timeoutny.com/articles/497.eat.critics.4.php) Ribs are also a possibility, but would require smoking the night before.

Any ideas/recipes? Criteria are that it has to (1) taste good; (2) be grillable; (3) be able to be made in quantity; and (4) not need a knife and fork to eat.

GoblinMason (Craig)
07-17-2005, 11:06 PM
At my uncle's 4th picnic, he grilled portabella mushrooms which he did something to. They were really good, but I have no clue on the details.

-Craig

BretWeir
07-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Good call -- I think I'll add portabellas to the menu. Good for the one or two vegetarians who always show up.

Nottom
07-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Fruit.

Peaches are great for grilling. Bananas and plums work well too.

benza13
07-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Not that unusual, but fish is also a good option for grilling, especially ones like swordfish that tend not to stick to the grill. There was a thread recently about other good fish for grilling, but I am too lazy to search right now.

You could also serve Gazpacho (sp?) its Tomato soup, served ice cold.

BretWeir
07-18-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to Russia!

http://home.worldonline.de/home/simpsons/images/barney_ruelps.jpg

gumpzilla
07-18-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good call -- I think I'll add portabellas to the menu. Good for the one or two vegetarians who always show up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rub them down with olive oil, garlic, pepper and salt, it's great. I'm also partial to grilled zucchini.

M2d
07-18-2005, 12:13 AM
oysters

mix up a sauce of soy/hot sauce (srachia, tabasco, any hot sauce will do). ratio is to taste.
pop the oysters on the grill. when they just open up, squirt some of your hot sauce mixture into the oyster and let it simmer for a minute or so. take off the grill and slurp up.

rusellmj
07-18-2005, 12:17 AM
I made this for my 4th of July BBQ.

Get ripe but firm Bananas.

Melt 2tbsp butter in sauce pan.
Mix in 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp powder ginger, 1/8 tsp powder cloves.

Let butter sauce cool a little.
Peel and coat bananas w/ butter sauce.

Grill bananas 2-3 minutes on each side. Don't cook to mush.

Slice bananas at an angle on the bias.
Serve w/ good quality vanilla ice cream (I use Bryers) and warm chocolate sauce if desired.

This only took minutes to prepare and I was a hero.

jakethebake
07-18-2005, 08:19 AM
BEER BUTT CHICKEN (http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/az/BeerButtChicken.asp)

stigmata
07-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Halloumi cheese.

Grill on the BBQ and then eat warm. Make sure it isnt too hot or it will melt and stick, but it can take a bit of heat -- just keep an eye on it till it's browning up a little.

Salty and squeeky, it's a love-it-or-hate-it type thing.

Not sure if they sell it in supermarkets your side of the pond, but if there is a greek/turkish shop anywhere they should sell it.

jakethebake
07-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Shrimp are also good grilled.

gulebjorn
07-18-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to Russia!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's spanish.

sfer
07-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Grilled corn, lime wedges, cumin, and that white Mexican cheese.

Drew16
07-18-2005, 10:47 AM
This is something I have not yet made but was told about. Wrap a shrimp and jalapeno inside a strip of bacon dab with BBQ sauce and throw on the grill. Seems easy.

The once and future king
07-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Im fascinated, have you actualy done this?

Los Feliz Slim
07-18-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rub them down with olive oil, garlic, pepper and salt, it's great. I'm also partial to grilled zucchini.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put balsamic vinaigrette on the portabellas prior to grilling. Simple and tasty.

I've been planning on trying to grill a rack of lamb, every recipe I've seen looks pretty easy.

swede123
07-18-2005, 11:14 AM
One yummy thing my father-in-law makes is jalepenos stuffed with cream cheese. Slice the pepper in half along its axis, spread cream cheese inside, grill for a few minutes. The cool thing about this is you can use different peppers with varying hotness, making it a treat for everyone.

Swede

gumpzilla
07-18-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is something I have not yet made but was told about. Wrap a shrimp and jalapeno inside a strip of bacon dab with BBQ sauce and throw on the grill. Seems easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scallops also work really well for this.

jakethebake
07-18-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, although not that exact recipe. There are lots of recipes on Google for Beer-Butt Chicken. So tasty and juicy. Keeps the chicken nice and moist. Very easy too.

BruinEric
07-18-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Grilled corn, lime wedges, cumin, and that white Mexican cheese.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheese name: Cotija

sleight
07-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I make the same type of Jalapeno poppers:

Halve the jalapenos and de-seed them, spread with cream cheese, wrap with bacon, put on bamboo skewer (that was soaking in water), grill until bacon is done.

Hamish McBagpipe
07-18-2005, 02:53 PM
http://www.kt.rim.or.jp/~batty/resouses/bbq-s2.gif

slamdunkpro
07-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Better Receipe! (from buttrub.com)

2 lb Whole Chicken (fryer)
Bad Byron's Butt RubŪ to cover chicken
1/2 Onion, finely sliced
1 Tablespoon, Hot Sauce
1-12 ounce CAN of American Beer
2 Cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
A few sprigs of fresh herbs, Rosemary works well.
Clean the chicken inside and out. Pat dry. Coat the outside of the chicken with Bad Byron's Butt RubŪ.

Stuff the cavity with the onions, garlic and herbs.

Using a can opener (the pointy kind) make about five openings in the top of the can of beer. Pour out half of the beer (If you
like beer-drink it). Add the hot sauce to the beer can.

Carefully place the chicken (this is the tricky part) open end first over the beer can so that the chicken sits upright on the can.

Place the beer can and chicken assembly on the grill and cook with the lid closed until done.

slamdunkpro
07-18-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best chicken ever!

But if you try it over there across the pond, use a light sweet lager. Nothing heavy like Fullers or Bass, they'll burn.

cnfuzzd
07-18-2005, 03:19 PM
a recipe that is fairly easy and ofers a striking presentation is rosemary-skewered scallops. You need around 1 1/2 pounds of scallops, 32 or so fresh rosemary sprigs, and 3 ounces or so of prosciutto, sliced really thin.

Prepare the scallops, an d strip the leave off the bottom inch of so of each rosemary sprig. Cut the prosciutto into strips large enough to cover the scallops. Lay the scallop flat, wrap in prosciutto, and skewer with the rosemary sprig. Repeat with the rest of the scallions. Drizzle with olive oil, squeeze a lemon over them, and sprinkle on some S and P. Go easy on the salt. The prosciutto is salty stuff.

If you are going to do portobellos, i would suggest the following.

Cut the stems off flush with the cap. Wipe both sides clean with damp paper towel. Using some moderately sharp object, poke small holes in the gill side, about a 1/2 in apart.

Take 2 ounces of your preferred firm cheese, cut into slivers. Repeat with 2 cloves of garlic, and strip of some leaves of fresh rosemary. You will also need 2 tbsps of pine nuts. Once all this is slivered, except the pine nuts, stuff it into the holes you made in the mushrooms.

Then combine 1/2 c balsamic vinegar with 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper, then mix in 1 1/2 cups e.v.o.o. and around 12 fresh, thinly sliced basil leaves. Once blended, spoon over the mushrooms and let marinate anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours. When ready to grill, use the marinade as a baste, and begin grilling with the gills of the mushrooms facing the coals...

peace

john nickle

wayabvpar
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Prepare the scallops, an d strip the leave off the bottom inch of so of each rosemary sprig. Cut the prosciutto into strips large enough to cover the scallops. Lay the scallop flat, wrap in prosciutto, and skewer with the rosemary sprig. Repeat with the rest of the scallions. Drizzle with olive oil, squeeze a lemon over them, and sprinkle on some S and P.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG that sounds incredible.

chas19
07-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Spiedie's. Basically kabobs made with pork or chicken. The key is the marinading sauce.

http://www.spiedie.com/index.htm

SL__72
07-18-2005, 04:47 PM
This thread is really making me hungry! I just wanted to point out that you can make really good bbqed ribs without smoking them first... I usually just put them in a pot of boiling water and let them simmer for awhile before grilling them (good BBQ sauce is really important) This is a ton quicker/easier then smoking them and you will end up with some delicious tender bbqed ribs.

KKbluff
07-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Wrap every item in thick pepper or maple bacon slices.

Brain
07-18-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to Russia!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're thinking of borscht, but same difference. Grill = HOT!

battschr
07-18-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to Russia!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're thinking of borscht, but same difference. Grill = HOT!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost embarassed that it appears nobody got this.

Brain
07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
One more vote for beer can chicken. It's ridiculously easy and the people I made it for first last summer were completely blown away. Maybe that's because they were from Staten Island, I don't know. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Whoever said oysters with hot sauce is correct. You can also do that with clams. Put a little clarified butter in there too with the hot sauce.