PDA

View Full Version : Another tricky flop situation

JacksonTens
07-17-2005, 10:47 PM
This was a very tricky situation I found myself in on the weekend. I don't think reads are necessary as I was drawing to the nuts. It is simply a call or fold question.

Hero is the Button with 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, MP1 calls, 3 folds, Hero calls, SB 3bets, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 caps, all call.

[Yes I coldcalled 88 Preflop. And I'd do it again, we had an average of 6+ seeing every flop, and I figured we had 3 players already pot committed (the BB would always call) I think I had odds to hit the set, on top of which UTG+1 was a wild PFR. The only thing that stuffed me was the SB 3bet, that threw me off. But I don't think it was correct to fold to the cap when I was in for 2 SB]

Flop: (5 players) 20SB J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG bets, UTG+1 raises, MP1 3-bets, Hero???
[I think I have 4 real outs here, the 7s. as I think a Q will make someone a better straight as will an 8. What should I do? I lean towards the fold, but the implied odds say otherwise, problem is if I call the odds will make me call a turn bet so this is essentially a 5SB call.]

JT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ArturiusX
07-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Easy muck.

Harv72b
07-17-2005, 10:59 PM
You're getting about 9:1 to call 3 on the flop with the strong possibility of a cap behind you, while drawing to the sucker end of a 1-card straight. That's not a call you should be making. You're drawing dead to KQ, and even if you hit your 7 on the turn it's very likely that at least one of your opponents will have a strong redraw to beat you on the river (and if none do, then the 7 will likely dry up your action).

The preflop coldcall on the button is utterly standard; in fact, I'd consider 3-betting here if I felt it was likely to narrow the field and/or buy folding equity on the flop. Folding to the cap when you're certainly getting 9:1 on your money & have position postflop would be very, very bad.

Dan Rutter
07-17-2005, 11:03 PM
This is an easy fold. You are not drawing to the nuts, the nuts are KQ right now which could be someone's hand. If you hit your 4 outer (which still may not be good) on the turn, there are still many hands that could make bigger straights or full houses on the river.

JacksonTens
07-17-2005, 11:03 PM
That was my reasoning too, although the 3 bet is an interesting view that I didn't think of. I like it, although its not a play that could be used very often. But definately worthwhile.

ArturiusX
07-17-2005, 11:07 PM
I actually like it when this happens, it turns a marginal play into an easy one.

What if it was one bet back? You'd call of course. What if there were 2 raises behind you? Now it gets more tricky.

JacksonTens
07-17-2005, 11:57 PM
If you called and it was two back you'd be getting over 20:1 for the gutshot, but with all the action behind you you'd be inclined to fold. But if you were getting around 27:1 (the raiser, the caller & the 3better) you just might call. Then on the turn when its one bet to you you'll probly be inclined to call again. Yes, this would be a terrible situation. What do you think?