PDA

View Full Version : Question. Please help. X-post, OT

Phoenix1010
07-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Wanted to post this here as well since I trust some opinions around here.

A buddy of mine was registered in the Jetset 25k freeroll today, but he wasn't available to play in it so he asked me to play it for him. Your starting chip stack depends on how many player points you have, it ranges from 1k to to 5k, and my starting stack was 3500. I ended up winning it and got $5,000 for first place. My buddy and I never talked about how we would split the prize. We're good friends so it won't be a problem. I'm just curious: what would be the fairest way to split the prize? Any input is much appreciated.

-Phoenix

Freudian
07-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I think 50/50 would be fine here. I would hate to have to go into harsh negotiating with a good friend. With 50/50 it definately has been a good day for both of you.

If you do another split, 60-40, or so, you should get the lion share since you did the playing.

Phoenix1010
07-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Oh yeah, this might be relevant- the tourney took about 5 hours. I only played the tourney during that time. If I hadn't played the tourney I would have been playing the 1-1 games on True Poker and the .25/.5 NL games on Empire, where I'm a pretty decent winner.

-Phoenix

Offsprung
07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Um... it doesnt matter.

Only relevant fact is that you are friend. Just split it 50/50 and don't be a negotiating douche.

Phoenix1010
07-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Bump.

gumpzilla
07-18-2005, 12:29 AM
I don't think there's a terribly obvious answer, particularly since this was a freeroll. Did your friend have to qualify for this or anything? 50/50 is all well and good, but I honestly think you deserve more than that. I would probably push for something more like 75/25 myself, but it's not really worth getting people upset, so I think I'd probably ask my buddy what he thought was fair and try and negotiate a bit if he came back with 50/50.

Big Limpin'
07-18-2005, 03:59 AM
This is kinda like yours... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=2817368 &Forum=,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Main=2817 368&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=182&daterange=1 &newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post2817368)

curtains
07-18-2005, 04:37 AM
50/50 sounds fair to me...

viennagreen
07-18-2005, 05:02 AM
you guys are buddies, it was his freeroll and his player points---- personally, i wouldn't ask for more than 50/50...

maybe he can cover a night at the bar as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

if he volunteers to give you more, that's another thing... but.....

HesseJam
07-18-2005, 07:56 AM
50/50 and you are both happy. You won the freeroll and have eternal bragging rights. He got 2500 with no work put in and pays you the 2500 out of his account.

Both of you can compare what nice things you did with the 2500.

gumpzilla
07-18-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is kinda like yours... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=2817368 &Forum=,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Main=2817 368&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=182&daterange=1 &newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post2817368)

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think it's more different than alike.

- In Phoenix's case, it was a freeroll, so Irieguy's arguments about the risk assumed by the owner of the account don't really apply, to my mind.

- Phoenix played the whole thing, not just the first two hours. Had he not been able to do this, the owner of the account wins or loses nothing.

I'm surprised that so many people are campaigning for 50/50. Do people really think that Phoenix doesn't deserve more than that, or are most people just not interested in negotiating here?

Freudian
07-18-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think it's more different than alike.

- In Phoenix's case, it was a freeroll, so Irieguy's arguments about the risk assumed by the owner of the account don't really apply, to my mind.

- Phoenix played the whole thing, not just the first two hours. Had he not been able to do this, the owner of the account wins or loses nothing.

I'm surprised that so many people are campaigning for 50/50. Do people really think that Phoenix doesn't deserve more than that, or are most people just not interested in negotiating here?

[/ QUOTE ]

My view is that if you don't agree to anything beforehand, a 50/50 split is fair. Negotiating is something you should do before the fact, not after.

Besides, since they are good friends I am sure it will work out fine in the end.

If I was the friend I would probably give Phoenix 70/30 or so without him having to negotiate though.

Phoenix1010
07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Thank you for the replies. I'm not afraid to negotiate on it, as I don't think it will turn out to be a problem with us; it's kind of a lot of money and I think he'll understand that I want to make sure I'm not getting the shaft just because we're friends. The two sides (his friends versus my friends basically, with people who are knowledgable about poker falling on my side) seem very split, with his friends saying that I should be happy to get anything at all since I got to play for free (a claim that pissed me off some), and my friends saying that my buddy should be happy to get anything at all since he also didn't have any risk, and he didn't play in the tournament at all.

My reasoning: Neither of us put up any money, he played a bunch of hands on the site that he was going to play anyway and handed me an entry worth approximately nothing because it cost nothing. I actually did the playing, I put in the time and the skill necessary to win, so it really doesn't seem like we put in equal effort. My friends tell me it's insanely generous (even among friends) to drop even 1k into someone's account for doing nothing, and I agree to an extent. It's not like money is being dropped into my lap; I worked for it, and I earned it, whereas in his case the money will drop into his lap because he chose to ask me to play it for him. I think that 60/40 is more than fair, and I can't help but feel that giving away half of the prize is way too much, and I don't want to throw away money on account of us being friends, even though that's what some people think is the non-douchebag thing to do. My friendship with him does mean something to me, but not taking a 500 dollar cock in the ass after winning a tourney means something to me as well. Anyway, I'm sure it will be resolved amicably, thank you all for your assistance.

-Phoenix

gildwulf
07-18-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My friendship with him does mean something to me, but not taking a 500 dollar cock in the ass after winning a tourney means something to me as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahah