PDA

View Full Version : Strange AK hand 30/60

mach3
07-17-2005, 09:18 PM
I raise AKo UTG, both blinds call. Flop comes 2d Qd 3c. SB leads - seems aggressive and tricky, but at the wrong times. SB leads, BB folds, I raise, he 3 bets and I call. Turn is a little heart. He checks? I bet, he calls. River is a diamond - he checks. I check. Thoughts?

MrTeddyKGB
07-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I think I would check this turn as I would hate to get raised. If he has two live cards and a flush draw I am not giving up that much equity with a free card. I like the river check.

mach3
07-18-2005, 01:30 AM
I was leaning toward folding the turn and he checked. I knew he didn't have a Q at that point, figured a flush draw or smallish PP. I would have folded to a second checkraise as well, but the turn check really threw me, as I had just called his 3 bet on the flop...

Xhiggy
07-18-2005, 01:44 AM
ah, the good old "go and stop." I'm more inclined to check behind on the turn, as you'll be raised a good portion of the time against an "aggressive and tricky" opponent. also, your opponent is rarely going to fold here, and seems to want to get to a showdown with some sort of hand.

Given that you bet the turn, I'd say that you were doing it with the intention of taking a free showdown, so I check behind on the river.
I don't think you're folding anything on the river that beats you, and your opponent looks to be playing scared, trying to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. (I'm thinking medium pocket pair, or a 2 or a 3).

BeerGolfPoker
07-18-2005, 03:52 AM
I like checking behind on the turn here and calling any non diamond river card. If he is aggressive and tricky he very well could checkraise you again with a flush draw or some other hand against which you have 6 outs, and this sucks.

The negative of checking behind, however, is that you allow him to draw freely. BUT, I think the EV lost by giving him the free card is more than made up for by letting a "tricky and aggressive player at the wrong times" bluff the river when he misses his flush.

Edit: Oh yeah, given how you played it, the river check is standard.

mach3
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
He showed A4 of clubs - like I said, aggressive but at the wrong times. Given that, he probably would have had me w/ a turn or river lead - is that weak? I just wasn't sure about this one... not sure if the results change anything?