PDA

View Full Version : How to combat co-chipleader's perpetual minraising on the bubble?

elonkra
07-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm tired of folding AJ. He's minibumped me on big blind 3 times in a row.

Blinds are at 100/200.
Stacks are at 5000 (villain), 4000 (me), 2000, and 1200.

To complicate things, the shortstacks are folding to him as well.

I welcome your comments, as I get bumped off my BB w/K7sooted.

bluefeet
07-17-2005, 06:23 PM
i don't know that you have to 'take the gloves off' necessary, but hands like AJ, K7s are certainly worthy of taking to the flop (i'd actually reraise the AJ). you have the chips to splash around a bit - if nothing more, letting him know that your BB's might not be free for the taking.

lastchance
07-17-2005, 06:23 PM
As long as he'll fold to a push, pick a hand, push and pray. Don't do this often. Once or twice should be enough. Be careful, and don't get called.

Remember, just because Villain can and will minraise any 2 in this spot means that your opponent can or will call off 4/5th of his stack with crap just to knock you off.

2callzU
07-17-2005, 06:28 PM
You have 4000 chips. No need to let his miniraise piss you off and make you do something stupid on the bubble so I wouldn't push or anything. With AJ to a miniraise though, I don't see anything wrong with seeing a flop maybe one time to see if you hit. Let the small stacks get pissed and push with marginal hands. Wait until you are in the money and then shove your stack down his throat. That's my opinion anyways. Peace..........

eastbay
07-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Re-raise him all-in. He's just as scared of getting crippled from his chip lead as you are of getting busted.

eastbay

2callzU
07-17-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Re-raise him all-in. He's just as scared of getting crippled from his chip lead as you are of getting busted.

[/ QUOTE ] There is a good possibility that you are correct, but why in the hell would he do this when he has such a large stack already?. If he miniraises every pot you never know what he is holding. Are you saying push every time he raises your big? Push with the AJ? Push every hand? What are you talking about? How pissed would you be if you were to finish fourth after having such a nice stack.

elonkra
07-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

FWIW, I had AJ on the button when he minibumped from UTG. I'd have reraised or pushed had he minibumped me from the SB.

He showed down A6sooted on that particular hand.

microbet
07-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Depends a lot on more than just the last 3 times you were on the blind.

One thing to try is calling and then betting out any flop. You can do this with any two cards.

valenzuela
07-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Ill call and use my positional advantage, if he checks kill him, the problem will come when he min-raises the flop.
The other option is reraising him to 1200 preflop but he might call and minraise the flop...
rerasing all-in and ehh..well he migth call...I think rerasing all-in is the best option.

curtains
07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm really confused what the exact question is. It sounds like everyone is talking about a bunch of generalities.

eastbay
07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] There is a good possibility that you are correct, but why in the hell would he do this when he has such a large stack already?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's the only way to defend against the mini-raise, which is the question the guy asked.

Pick your spot well, but the guy asked what you can do about a mini-raiser, and I gave the only possible answer: come back over the top. And in this spot, that re-raise should be all-in.

AJ is a perfectly good candidate if the guy is mini-raising you a lot.

All it takes is once before the vast majority of players will back way off.

eastbay

elonkra
07-17-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm really confused what the exact question is. It sounds like everyone is talking about a bunch of generalities.

[/ QUOTE ]

May be my fault for not providing enough info, but since I'm new to 4-tabling, the only reads I had were that (1) co-chipleader was loose agressive (minibumping very often, not just the last three times I was on the BB); and (2) shorties were folding so much it seemed they were waiting for JJ+ to play.

My question is, I guess, a general one. When you're virtually guaranteed ITM on the bubble, when do you risk that in an attempt to keep your big stack (and, by extension, your chances of finishing first)?

I know there's not a black and white answer to this, as it's pretty much situation-dependent and I probably haven't provided enough details for a thorough analysis of how I should be acting, but I was looking for some general comments.

introv
07-17-2005, 08:26 PM
You mean a situation like this?

Seat 1: Villain (2065 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero (2149 in chips)
Seat 5: Player (1786 in chips)
Villain: posts small blind 50
Hero: posts big blind 100
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Hero [4c Jd]
Player: folds
Villain: raises to 200
Hero: calls 100
----- FLOP ----- [2s 7s Ah]
Villain: bets 200
Hero: raises to 600
Villain: folds
Returned uncalled bets 400 to Hero
Hero: doesn't show hand
Hero collected 800 from Main pot

This is from a 6 player SNG so top 2 play. Villain has been min raising pretty much every hand. In these circumstances I usually fold a couple of times then, if nothing suitable for a reraise comes along, I'll call with position and try and outplay them on the flop. Works for me!

AA suited
07-17-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm tired of folding AJ. He's minibumped me on big blind 3 times in a row.

Blinds are at 100/200.
Stacks are at 5000 (villain), 4000 (me), 2000, and 1200.

To complicate things, the shortstacks are folding to him as well.

I welcome your comments, as I get bumped off my BB w/K7sooted.

[/ QUOTE ]

With both aj and k7s, call and see the flop. if it hits you (pair, draw, 2 overcards), play it aggressively. else fold.

I wouldnt push back preflop without aq+, TT+.