PDA

View Full Version : Suggest more cars for me (used cars)

gorgeous
07-17-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm in the market to buy a used car in the $3k-$8k range. Preferably in the middle ($5-6k).

Car needs to be (in order of importance):
1. AUTOMATIC
2. reliable & easily maintainable
3. decent looking
4. g00t performance/handling
5. gas efficient
6. easily resell-able

Just to give you an idea of what cars fit my preferences in terms of looks.. I like the Acura RSX, new Honda Accord, new Acura 3.2 TL, Acura TSX, BMW 3-series and countless others that are way out of my budget.

So far I've been looking for 96-00 Civic coupes, Integras and 97+ Preludes, but I've had no luck since I started looking 2 weeks ago. Current resources include: Craigslist (small sample sizes), Autotrader (full of dealers), local papers (overpriced).

Perhaps I am playing too tight and need to widen my preflop standards.. what else should I be looking for?

gorgeous
07-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Anyone???????

pryor15
07-17-2005, 07:33 PM
bump...so am i

DasLeben
07-17-2005, 07:59 PM
A '93-'95 BMW 325i isn't out of that budget. You can find them damn cheap. If you want something a bit easier to maintain (and will cut the costs down period), look into a '96+ BMW 318ti (4cyl).

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-17-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A '93-'95 BMW 325i isn't out of that budget. You can find them damn cheap. If you want something a bit easier to maintain (and will cut the costs down period), look into a '96+ BMW 318ti (4cyl).

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha! I was just coming in here to say how I was surprised that nobody yet has suggested whatever year a BMW (either 325 or M3) or Audi A4 you'd have to get to have it down in this price range.

eric5148
07-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Red Green kicks ass! Are they still making new episodes? I just bought all the DVDs cause my local PBS station stopped showing it a few years ago.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

PokerGoblin
07-17-2005, 10:27 PM
The easily resellable part may not be in the picture.

Reason being the used car market is saturated with competition, and unless you are willing to take less than what it's worth ala trading it in, I wouldn't factor that into the decision.

Your best bet for a cool good handling car that looks decent is probably like a Pontiac Grand Prix GT... you can find them for about that price range... shouldn't be too difficult to find one like from the years 99 - 01 with 60k to 80k miles on it... the GM 3800 V6 engine is very reliable... good maintenence should allow it to run to 150k - 200k miles pretty easily.

Bonnevilles are also very nice cars, but they cost a bit more. One in your price range will probably have more miles than you want.

If Resale value is a high priority, buy a car with as many options as possible. Those cars are easier to resell and they hold value a bit better.

Hope that helps

PG

gorgeous
07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Your best bet for a cool good handling car that looks decent is probably like a Pontiac Grand Prix GT... you can find them for about that price range... shouldn't be too difficult to find one like from the years 99 - 01 with 60k to 80k miles on it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay looking car, but there are virtually none in my area /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pryor15
07-18-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Red Green kicks ass! Are they still making new episodes? I just bought all the DVDs cause my local PBS station stopped showing it a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i heard somewhere that they're in their last season. i saw a new one the other night that was cool as hell.

ChoicestHops
07-18-2005, 02:39 AM
For around $6k the only real option is a Honda Civic/Accord.

Reliability, and it wont drop too hard in value.

You're going to put yourself in a hole if you buy a 8 year old American made car.

ChipWrecked
07-18-2005, 03:13 AM
As mentioned in another post, Ford Contour is a great car if you can handle no resale value, flipside is you can pick one up cheap.

This car never got love in the States but is hugely popular in Europe where it is called Ford Mondeo.

Freakin
07-18-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. AUTOMATIC

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess manual drivers ARE better drivers... what happened to your last car again? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Freakin

PokerGoblin
07-18-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ford Contour is a great car if you can handle no resale value, flipside is you can pick one up cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man but you got some bad information somewhere.

These cars are absolute turds. Difficult to work on, EVERYTHING is expensive about them. The engine and trans are both junk.

After five years in the auto repair business I can safely say this is one of the worst mid sized sedans build in America.

Plus my g/f owns one. I'll spare ya the horror stories. She'd have a bankroll big ehough to play 5-10 shorthanded if she hadn't had to sink so much into that turd on 4 wheels.

Sorry that just struck a nerve.

Later

PG

ChipWrecked
07-18-2005, 08:05 PM
I only mention it because I've put over 100k on one over the past six years. Got it way cheaper than similar Civics or Corollas at the time. Other than the timing solenoid going bad I've never had trouble with it.

Sorry to hear your g/f got a lemon.

DangerGoodson
07-18-2005, 08:14 PM
a 99 or 200 Honda Si fits most on that list, cept finding one as they will always have hot resale value.

IggyWH
07-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Check out AutoMart.com also as I found it to be almost completely different listings than AutoTrader.

fyodor
07-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Saturn SC2 - that's their 3 door. I leased a new one for 3 years and never had one problem with it. Nothing.

Easy on gas. Decent pep. Surprising how much you can get in the back via the 3rd door. Try putting a 21" CRT Monitor still in it's box in any other sedan.