PDA

View Full Version : Pop quiz, hotshot! 10/20 Pokerroom.

neon
07-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Crazy 10/20 NL game on Pokerroom. Full ring.

I'll get to the hand that's bothering me in a minute, but first, some background.

For about four hours straight this was the laggiest 10/20 NL game I've ever been a part of. Three mega-fish sat down and started raising/calling raises with any two playable, with no regard for position, etc.

So I did my part and started playing lots of hands with them, raising limpers from LP w/ any two playable, since I felt that I could absolutely ruin them postflop (for some reason, the solid players at the table were staying out of my way for once).

After about four or so hours of pure madness, one of the fish left and one of the best big-game NL players on the site sits down. This guy is a gambler; I've seen him sitting at two 10-20 NL tables, one 25-50 NL and one 100-200 limit game while playing five hands of blackjack w/ $100k in front of him betting the max on every hand. He plays very aggro in NL and is obviously overrolled for the game in question, and sometimes pulls [censored] like pushing a full stack w/ Q7o from the BB after five limpers and then showing it. But for the most part, he plays very well I think. This is Spokey for those who play there.

(Sorry this is so long, but you need to know the backstory here).

So villain sits in on his BB, and these are the first three hands that he sees. I have the table covered.

1). I raise A /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif to $70 from the CO. Button (the biggest fish of them all, I'm pretty sure he's blown off about 3/4 of his bankroll in this game so far) calls. Flop comes 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I bet $125, villain calls. Turn is an 8, I check, he bets $290, I type in, "You're full of [censored]," and fold.

2). I raise to $70 two to the left of the button w/ AA. Donk to my left says, "So why don't you do something about it?" and reraises to $200, folded to me I call. Flop is J /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check, villain bets $400, I push and type, "Maybe I will." He runs his time all the way down and folds (leaving $2k+ behind).

3). Two limpers to me, I raise to $80 w/ AKo. Donk calls behind me, and now villain raises to $300 from the button. Folded to me, I decide to fold this time (maybe a mistake), and type, "Nice bet," and then, "AK" (defintely a mistake). Villain mucks.

Now to the hand (again, sorry for the length).

UTG ($332) limps, I (~$3,800) limp in EP w/ Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (which I wouldn't normally), expecting to get raised by someone and readying to call. Donk folds, villain ($2,200) raises to $80 in the CO, blinds fold, UTG calls, I call.

(~$270) Flop is 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG checks, I check, villain bets $140, UTG folds, I raise to $400. Villain calls quick.

(~$1,070) Turn is the 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

What's your move? Comments on flop play also welcome (I'd like to forget about preflop this time).

BluffTHIS!
07-17-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(I'd like to forget about preflop this time).

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't because everything that happened afterwards was a result of this decision. You are taking a very marginal hand that could be way behind and trying to outplay someone you said plays well, and trying to do it out of position. Once you have checkraised and been called you just have to be through with it.

AZK
07-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I hate to agree with BluffTHIS cause I normally play too loose in EP sometimes and it gets me into trouble. When I post the hand I tell people to ignore it, but he's absolutely right...

There are a finite number of hands that are profitable against this type of player/table/image in EP, QTs is not one of them.

Edit: Given the play, I check, given your description he will bet this turn, if he gives you enough respect and thinks you fast play good hands, a turn check-raise would be bad ass and probably get you action from him for forever once you show if he lays down, but you are probably drawing dead. Is he a lag who knows when to laydown?

neon
07-17-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(I'd like to forget about preflop this time).

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't because everything that happened afterwards was a result of this decision. You are taking a very marginal hand that could be way behind and trying to outplay someone you said plays well, and trying to do it out of position. Once you have checkraised and been called you just have to be through with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree w/ you guys. I almost said right along w/ my request to ignore preflop that I know that everything that makes my turn decision tricky stems from my marginal preflop call.

So w/ that said, you guys all check-fold this turn? I really thought that villain's flop bet was weak as all hell, and nothing about the way he's played the hand thus far--not his preflop raise, and not even his quick call--tells me he has me beat.

Again, I realize that my problems here all stem from my marginal-at-best preflop call, but I'm not at all convinced I should be check-folding this turn vs. an aggro villain given what he's seen from me so far.

Maybe this is boring though. Sorry if it is.

kagame
07-17-2005, 06:10 PM
min bet

BluffTHIS!
07-17-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
min bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Gets raised by good players with little or nothing and with position virtually all the time unless they have you drawing close to dead already.