PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything more overtly racist......

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 04:27 PM
.....than labeling Phil Ivey as the "Tiget Woods" of poker? I am sure that Sexton or whoever came up with it means no harm/offense by it, but this just cracks me up.

Alobar
07-17-2005, 04:28 PM
phil Ivey is asian??

TripleH68
07-17-2005, 04:36 PM
You sure your own prejudice isn't coming into play?

I do not follow the poker pros much at all, but isn't Phil Ivey young, talented, dedicated, disciplined, making a mark in his field, wealthy, etc. etc.?

touchfaith
07-17-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I do not follow the poker pros much at all, but isn't Phil Ivey young, talented, dedicated, disciplined, making a mark in his field, wealthy, etc. etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

PorscheNGuns
07-17-2005, 04:48 PM
I can think of a few things more overtly racist than that...

Try this, I guarantee you will not be able to control your laughter:

http://www.sonicperfection.com/Tonk.wmv

-Matt

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So are Peyton Manning, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Sergio Garcia, Carmelo Anthony, Andy Roddick......

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Gimme a break.

-Skeme-
07-17-2005, 05:14 PM
How is that racist? Tiger Woods is a young, black male who dominates a mostly white sport. I'd say him being black comes second to the fact he's an amazing athlete.

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is that racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's racist because the only reason that they eqaute the two is because of their similar complexions. I am not saying it is said with ill-intent.

-Skeme-
07-17-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's racist because the only reason that they eqaute the two is because of their similar complexions. I am not saying it is said with ill-intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they're saying it primarily because HE IS A BLACK MAN DOMINATING A WHITE SPORT. Them both being young, black males comes after the fact. And if you think comparing them because they're black is racist then you need a dictionary.

Tron
07-17-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wowowowowowow

Leo99
07-17-2005, 05:25 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of racist. Acknowledging someone's race is not racist. If there are 10 people plus my wife in a crowd and one is black and he happens to standing next to my wife, it's not racist of me to say my wife is standing next to that black guy over there. If I assume he's standing next to her because you can't trust them black guys with blonde women, then that's racist. You don't have to be color blind to be a non-racist.

irishpint
07-17-2005, 05:27 PM
why is he part azn also?

SpearsBritney
07-17-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't think this qualifies as racism.

rac·ism
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

adamstewart
07-17-2005, 05:30 PM
I don't think that's racist at all. In fact, race has nothing to do with it.

I find your post racist, though.

Adam

JaBlue
07-17-2005, 05:32 PM
cool avatar

stupid post

TheCroShow
07-17-2005, 05:37 PM
i can understand where you are coming from, i see your point and have often wondered the same. it kinda bugs me, but does not seem to bother phil ivey, then again i do not know the guy personally.

kind of a similiar topic, but why is race so relevant with everything? seems like each b&m thread/post starts with "so i'm sitting at a 2/4 table and this young asian punk...." blah blah blah. i never see "so i'm sitting at a 2/4 table and this young white punk...."

Alobar
07-17-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can think of a few things more overtly racist than that...

Try this, I guarantee you will not be able to control your laughter:

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

besides the fact the video was done with actors, it wasnt all that funny. Maybe if they had a better lead actor, or better writers it would have been funnier.

jakethebake
07-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Who cares? Keep this crap in the WPT forum.

CallMeIshmael
07-17-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything more overtly racist than labeling Phil Ivey as the "Tiget Woods" of poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Many things. Two examples:

http://www.previews1.com/images/KKK.jpg
http://www.joric.com/Hitler-4.jpg

Alobar
07-17-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the obviously the correct answer. Im a little dissapointed I didnt come up with it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything more overtly racist than labeling Phil Ivey as the "Tiget Woods" of poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Many things. For example:

http://www.previews1.com/images/KKK.jpg
http://www.joric.com/Hitler-4.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

touche

nerd

mmbt0ne
07-17-2005, 06:02 PM
CMI is faster than me.

IQ89
07-17-2005, 06:19 PM
"America is changing from The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave to The Land of the Easily Offended and the Home of the Hypersensitive."

Dennis Prager

BeerMoney
07-17-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!.. and I'm sure its come up once or 5,000,000 times over there.

jason_t
07-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Bob, I know what you mean, but "racist" is far, far, far from the correct word.

BottlesOf
07-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I strongly disagree, for reasons articulated by other people. The bottom line is he really looks like Tiger Woods.

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree, for reasons articulated by other people. The bottom line is he really looks like Tiger Woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm cool with that. Why can't they just say that then? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

And why I am I getting all of these respnoses that "they are two young, black, driven young men who dominate their respective fields" bs? There are lotsa young black men who fit that criteria.

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bob, I know what you mean, but "racist" is far, far, far from the correct word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my vocabulary sucks. But anyone who thinks that this comparison isn't being made because of their complexion is deluding themselves.

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for mucking up the crystal-clear waters of OOT with such nonsense. My fault.

gunt
07-17-2005, 07:27 PM
i thought they compared him to tiger woods because he looks just like him.

BottlesOf
07-17-2005, 07:29 PM
THat's part of it, but I don't think that's all of it.

bones
[ QUOTE ]
phil Ivey is asian??

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the race draft?

"Goodbye fried rice, hello fried chicken."

IQ89
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything more overtly racist than labeling Phil Ivey as the "Tiger Woods" of poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I can't think of anything off hand.

http://www.sodamnfunny.com/Picture/People/guenon.jpg

jakethebake
07-17-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.sodamnfunny.com/Picture/People/guenon.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Venus or Serena?

GuyOnTilt
07-17-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't they just say that then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that's not why some people make the comparison. That may be how you relate the two, but not everybody else does. And that's fine.

[ QUOTE ]
And why I am I getting all of these respnoses that "they are two young, black, driven young men who dominate their respective fields" bs? There are lotsa young black men who fit that criteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. If you're going to give someone a nickname, you're going to have to pick one specifically. Of course there are/were other choices, but this is the one that was chosen/stuck by whomever.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
07-17-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gimme a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a very legitimate question. If you're able to think objectively, you wouldn't just blow it off with such a dismissive statement. Apply that question to almost any situation where you have an opinion, and it's extremely to say "no" with 100% confidence.

If I were to start calling Evan "the Stiffler of poker", would your first reaction be to think it was a racist driven nickname? Why or why not, and what do you think makes the difference in your mind between that and the Phil Ivey nickname?

Now that I'm thinking about poker nicknames for Evan, what if I were to call him "the Moses of poker", (much better nickname, IMO) what would you reaction be? It's obviously racist, right? I mean, it can't be because they both got really pissed this one time, they both can grow beards, and they both have a tendency to get lost a lot when traveling. There are so many other people who fit that same description that I must've chosen Moses because they're the same "race".

GoT

Dov
07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't mind being called the Tiger Woods of anything.

I think it's a compliment, not an insult.

Haven't they both made comparable progress in their sports?

RicktheRuler
07-17-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.....than labeling Phil Ivey as the "Tiget Woods" of poker? I am sure that Sexton or whoever came up with it means no harm/offense by it, but this just cracks me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its not racism--just look in the dictionary. The two are similar in many ways (im sure someone has elaborated on these similarities somewhere in this thread), not to mention the fact that they do look alike (somewhat).

GuyOnTilt
07-17-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Except you forgot how equally and overtly sexist it is as well.

GoT

07-17-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to expect unfavorable responses when you title your post the way you did.

Interesting restaurant (http://www.myrtlebeachscrestaurants.com/Tar-Babys-Cherry-Grove.html)

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gimme a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a very legitimate question. If you're able to think objectively, you wouldn't just blow it off with such a dismissive statement. Apply that question to almost any situation where you have an opinion, and it's extremely to say "no" with 100% confidence.

If I were to start calling Evan "the Stiffler of poker", would your first reaction be to think it was a racist driven nickname? Why or why not, and what do you think makes the difference in your mind between that and the Phil Ivey nickname?

Now that I'm thinking about poker nicknames for Evan, what if I were to call him "the Moses of poker", (much better nickname, IMO) what would you reaction be? It's obviously racist, right? I mean, it can't be because they both got really pissed this one time, they both can grow beards, and they both have a tendency to get lost a lot when traveling. There are so many other people who fit that same description that I must've chosen Moses because they're the same race.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit that "racist" was not the right word. I should have said "comparison made because of race". In the OP I stated that I am sure that whoever came up with it did not mean it in a pejorative way. Right or wrong, the first pieces of info that we recieve tend to come from our eyes, which differentiates color. When I see Ivey and Woods, I (like EVERYONE else) see a light skinned black dude. If Ivey was much darker, the Woods comparison never would have been made IMHO.

I would call Evan the Nate Archibald of poker.

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 08:04 PM
.....to use. I should have said "overt comparison based on race." I don't think whoever came up with the compariosn is racist. Let it go.

PokerBob
07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Except you forgot how equally and overtly sexist it is as well.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with being sexy?

Bulldog
07-17-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
phil Ivey is asian??

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Ivey, but Woods used to be Cablinasian until the blacks drafted him in the first round. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

gumpzilla
07-17-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

No, they're saying it primarily because HE IS A BLACK MAN DOMINATING A WHITE SPORT. Them both being young, black males comes after the fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have nothing to add, I just thought it was worth highlighting this quote as the work of a particularly penetrating intellect.

mikeyvegas
07-17-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wowowowowowow

[/ QUOTE ]

That was some fuked up sh!t.

TheCroShow
07-17-2005, 10:33 PM
ivey looks NOTHING like tiger woods, what are you guys smoking? lemme guess, "they all look the same?" for shame...

JaBlue
07-17-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.....to use. I should have said "overt comparison based on race." I don't think whoever came up with the compariosn is racist. Let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

just shut up all ready

-Skeme-
07-17-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they are two young, black, driven young men who dominate their respective fields" bs? There are lotsa young black men who fit that criteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the dumbest [censored] ever.

RacersEdge
07-17-2005, 10:46 PM
I thought it was an obvious comparison - a young black male at the top of his game/sport in a world dominated by white males in the past. They also have the same type of demanor when playing. Plus, they look alike.

Sephus
07-18-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually you should start by removing the word "overt."

battschr
07-18-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, they look alike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bulldog
07-18-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ivey looks NOTHING like tiger woods, what are you guys smoking? lemme guess, "they all look the same?" for shame...

[/ QUOTE ]

They have some very similar features.

diebitter
07-18-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me. There's lots of words that are more overtly racist than "Tiger Woods".

Do you mean covertly racist?

Roy Stalin
07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually you should start by removing the word "overt."

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm amazed it took this long to get the right response.

B Dids
07-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Phil Ivey looks enough like Tiger Woods that this whole conversation is and always will be dumb.