PDA

View Full Version : Flat call w/ nuts?

Backstabr
07-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (8 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

In retrospect, I should have bet turn. River ok?

Alobar
07-17-2005, 03:41 PM
fold preflop

in retrospect, don't bet the turn

On the river I raise anyway, because often enough one of the 2 idiots left to act will call 2 cold or the BB will 3 bet with his jack

Backstabr
07-17-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how aggresive the rest of the table is, right? If, say, everyone has a 8% pfr (once we remove steal raises), then we will be raised 1 - .92 ^ 5 = 34% of the time. What % of the time we need the flop for a single bet for calling to be +EV?

wonkadaddy
07-17-2005, 03:50 PM
raise the river. it's unlikely you'll get overcalls from anyone w/out at least a straight and they may call you anyways. also, it's a lil strange the first player would lead bet this river w/out the flush so there's some chance you may get 3 bet and have a chance to cap.

i've got some other problems w/the hand, however. in shorthanded play i would get out of the habit of ever limping first in. i would fold A5s UTG in 6 handed almost all the time.

also your posthand analysis that you should have bet the turn in light of the flush card falling is troublesome. don't let results guide you. this was a good free card to take

Backstabr
07-17-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also your posthand analysis that you should have bet the turn in light of the flush card falling is troublesome. don't let results guide you. this was a good free card to take

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't in light of the results. I have 9 outs to the flush, so not enough to bet for value. Betting may clean up my ace outs and betting may disguise my hand. That is why I thought I should bet.

...but the consensus seems to be to check.

Alobar
07-17-2005, 04:22 PM
The only aces that will fold this turn are A6-A3, which isnt many aces. Its also not that likely anyone has any of those given the the flop action, so you arent cleaning your outs up any by betting the turn. What you are doing is risking getting raised. That T is not the friendliest card in the world. It completes some draws, puts some more 2 pair combos on the board, and pairs up some flopped draws. Its very unlikely you have the best hand, or that everyone folds, and like you said, it isnt for value. Check, and hope you get the free card.

StellarWind
07-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Preflop is questionable. I haven't seen the 3/6 games but I'm having a hard time believing that playing A5s UTG is good.

Flop is good.

Turn check is obviously best. You have no bluff equity and no chance of having the best hand. Don't pay money to reduce the field for your flush draw. Even if Cutoff bets behind you that's much better than getting raised.

Raise the river. Jacks and flushes must pay whatever price you set and without a straight it's hard to call at all. This is a very bad situation to play for overcalls. Actually it's pretty unusual for playing for overcalls to be correct with the nuts, especially when it's quite clear that the bettor isn't bluffing.

SparkyDog
07-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Cleaning up outs has got to be the most misapplied concept when looking for a reason to bet.

Check the turn. Raise the river.

KJL
07-17-2005, 04:46 PM
You should have checked the turn, but raised on the river. By only calling the rier, you have a chance to get one more bet out of the player still left to act, if you raise, there is a chance he will still call and he BB will almost always call and possibly raise.