PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of my pregnant belly?

Yeti
07-17-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm 6'2, 20yo. In the past, I've always been very slim.

I've never eaten particularly well, but the last year I have drunk lots and lots of alcohol, and lately I've started to have large suppers of sandwiches before bed.

As such, I have put on weight around my stomach. I look almost pregnant and find myself sucking it in a la Hasselhoff /images/graemlins/frown.gif The rest of me is still pretty trim.

I'm going on holiday in a month and want to get rid of it before then. I am not a member of a gym, nor do I wish to be.

Help. Thanks.

Ulysses
07-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Eat and drink less. Exercise more.

miajag81
07-17-2005, 02:13 PM
uh, stop drinking so much and eating before bed?

slickpoppa
07-17-2005, 02:15 PM
just throw up after every meal

Tron
07-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Pray.

Yeti
07-17-2005, 02:21 PM
No shit Sherlocks.

Sorry, I didn't make my point clear. I was after specific exercises. Should I be jogging, sit-ups, what?

DemonDeac
07-17-2005, 02:21 PM
go running every day and occasional lifting (2-3 times a week)
eat better
only drink once or twice a week

augie00
07-17-2005, 02:27 PM
www.theabsdiet.com (http://www.theabsdiet.com)

lastsamurai
07-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Try the atkins diet. I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks.

liquidboss
07-17-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Atkins is pretty good for losing it fast, but you won't keep it off unless you want to give up carbs forever. Calories in < calories out is the way to go if you want to stay slim.

slickpoppa
07-17-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No shit Sherlocks.

Sorry, I didn't make my point clear. I was after specific exercises. Should I be jogging, sit-ups, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't watse your time doing situps. Situps don't burn fat. You need to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise

Alobar
07-17-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No shit Sherlocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you are a completely helpless moron, yet you bitch when people tell you what you need to be doing?

Its not rocket science, eat less food, and take your fat ass out and go running.

Also try doing a seach, there have been about 1.7 million threads on this subject. Or if you really wanted to get crazy, you could try typing some stuff into google, Im sure someone out there somehwere has prolly created a web page designed to help lazy fat people lose weight.

KaneKungFu123
07-17-2005, 03:04 PM
balance weight lifting with cardio.

if you build a muscular base your body will burn calories daily, and youll have a firmer look.

but regardless, youll have to watch your diet. you can exercise like a maniac and still get fat. its science.

[ QUOTE ]
No shit Sherlocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

KaneKungFu123
07-17-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly, this weight was all fat.

Ulysses
07-17-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No shit Sherlocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for not providing details. Here's the best thing I've come across.

--
Belly Burner

Lie on your left side. Bend your right leg at the knee, touching your heel to your butt (or as close as possible). Reach down and grab your right ankle with your right hand. Place your left hand on your inside left thigh. Now roll left until your left elbow touches floor. Then roll right until your right elbow touches floor. Repeat, back and forth, for 10 minutes.

Lie on your right side and repeat exercise for 10 minutes.

Preferably do one 20 minute session in the morning right after getting up and one 20 minutes session in the evening.
--

Doing this twice a day for a month will eliminate a pretty good-sized chunk of your belly. Of course, running and fixing your diet will definitely help accelerate the process, but this exercise is focused specifically on eliminating the gut.

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-17-2005, 03:12 PM
There is no way to lose weight in a target area, despite many products' claim to the contrary.

Drink less alcohol. Eat healthy and exercise.

Calories in - Calories out = X

It's not rocket science.

KaneKungFu123
07-17-2005, 03:12 PM
while the exercise you described will build stronger abdominal muscles (and make your stomach look leaner), they will not eliminate fat specifically in your stomach area. it is not posible to 'spot reduce'.

lastsamurai
07-17-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clearly, this weight was all fat.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was all water.

Ulysses
07-17-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while the exercise you described will build stronger abdominal muscles (and make your stomach look leaner), they will not eliminate fat specifically in your stomach area. it is not posible to 'spot reduce'.

[/ QUOTE ]

While running and other cardio is definitely optimal, this one has enough cardiovascular component + spot focus that it does wonders on the belly. As you mentioned, even before reducing the gut completely, this will make him look much leaner. Of course, he can do longer belly-burner sessions for faster results.

skoal2k4
07-17-2005, 03:38 PM
1. buy tape
2. tear off a 6" piece of tape
3. place tape over mouth

fsuplayer
07-17-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
go running every day and occasional lifting (2-3 times a week)
eat better
only drink once or twice a week

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron87
07-17-2005, 03:43 PM
doing specific abs excercises will not target the fat around your stomach.

Rotating Rabbit
07-17-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way to lose weight in a target area, despite many products' claim to the contrary.

It's not rocket science.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the truth. And genetics determine where on your body the fat goes when in > out.

Lawrence Ng
07-17-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm going on holiday in a month and want to get rid of it before then. I am not a member of a gym, nor do I wish to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck then. I would've suggested a pretty good mix of a weekly cardio/strength training workout for you along with a more leaned down protein to carb ratio diet to help you ease into a leaner body, but from the looks of this post and your attitude you probably will more likely gain a bigger gut by the time your holiday hits around than lose it.

Lawrence

JaBlue
07-17-2005, 04:39 PM
is this even a real excersize?

Malachii
07-17-2005, 04:43 PM
But it will build muscle around your abdominal area, and muscle does burn fat. Spot reduction isn't possible, but spot production of muscle is.

AEKDBet
07-17-2005, 05:13 PM
This is something I had a lot of personal experience with battling weight etc as I was a fat teenager.

What I say below is pretty specific and will work without a doubt, but its not an all or nothing. Start off doing what you can when you can. Keep is simple and comfortable.

diet part-----
A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Wrong.
Try try try to eat "cleaner". Lots and lots more lean protein - tuna, chicken.
Protein requires the most amount of energy to digest (known as the TEF / thermic effect of food). For every 100 calories of protein you eat you only get 75-80 in return. For every 100 calories of fat you eat you get 97 in return.

Lots and lots more good fat. Olive oil, almonds, peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, sesame oil.... to lose fat you have to be eating fat. Sounds strange I know, but you will be amazed at how much fat will curb your appetite. Try eating 3 spoonfuls of peanut butter for 300 calories versus a big 300 calorie bowl of plain oatmeal and see which one keeps you full longer. Its not even close...

The less fat you consume, the more your body will cling to its stores. Your body is designed to survive, not to look good in a mirror.

Carbs = energy, especailly important on lifting days. Try to eat almost all your carbs before late afternoon. Complex = good. Sweet potatoes are a great carb source and one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Oatmeal, oatbran, brown rice are good too. Plain these things suck, so have some sweetener, salt, cinnamon handy. I like to throw in a scoop of choc. protein to my oatmeal.

White or enriched flour products = more fat for you. I can google around and find you a study, or you can just take my word.

Smaller meals... kinda weird to get used to, but shoot for 5-6 meals per day. Its kinda nice in that you get to eat 'all the time'. If you have breakfast at 8 don't eat again until 10:30 or 11. Depending on job etc this can be a little tricky.

workout part----
Establish a 'routine' so that you are exercising 4-6 times per week BUT only shoot for 20-30 minutes at a time. Smaller workouts but with more frequency are good and easier to accomplish. Once I start a routine like this for ~10 days or so its very very easy to keep going. If I stop for 5 or 6 days its very very easy to stay stopped. You can take longer than 30 mins for weight lifting sessions, but it really depends on how much you dick around between sets.

Cardio on an empty stomach is crap. Its debated all over the internet but I can tell you from experience that you end up losing more muscle this way. The best cardio is to jog for a few minutes and sprint or run almost full out for 30-90 seconds until you have to stop. Jog or walk briskly for a few more minitues while you are sucking wind.

Do 6-8 of these and you will have taken about 20-30 minutes for your cardio session and will be using more of your fat stores than just running at the same pace. You will also experience a kind of high after one of these spring sessions, which is an added bonus.

Lift weights. This is so so so important. If you are new at this don't be intimitaded or shy about using lighter weights to get started. google for a lot more info or search for previous threads.

Don't feel motivated to work out some days? Coffee works wonders, and you'll be quite pleased at how much better a workout you will have with some caffeine in your system. Caffeine also works to free up some of that fat for energy.

PM me if you have any questions, I really listed a lot and not in the most organized fashion, but what I have said will work, and work well.

PokerCat69
07-17-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No shit Sherlocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eat less you fat [censored] piece of [censored]. Get off your fat ass and go jogging [censored]. How can you make such a post then flame people for giving you legit advice??
Grow up

Yeti
07-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Cool. Negative replies give me a warm, fuzzy feeling in my bloated belly!

I'll do some running combined with what El D said. Plus I think I have some weights lying around in my grandma's garage. Thanks for the useful posts, AEKD and others.

Yeti
07-17-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Eat less you fat [censored] piece of [censored]. Get off your fat ass and go jogging [censored]. How can you make such a post then flame people for giving you legit advice??
Grow up

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah! Excellent. I'm not sure how anyone construes a light-hearted remark as a flame, but thanks for the kind words anyway.

Blarg
07-17-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's not rocket science.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. Forget spot reducing.

If you want to look good in a month, you'll probably have to do something very unhealthy to get there.

First, cut the alcohol out.

Second, don't eat past the very early evening. Your heaviest meal should be in the beginning of the day or middle, so you have plenty of time to digest it and work it off, as well as use the energy to fuel your day. If you are absolutely starving at night after dinner, feel free to stuff yourself with carrots, celery, apples, or citrus fruits. They're low calorie and full of good nutrients, and will fill the stomach for a little while. They'll also push stuff through you quicker, which is very good for general health and to prevent storing up lots of meals in your gut before eliminating them. Being slow to eliminate can distend your gut. Over time, learning to eat when you're hungry instead of recreationally will make it easier to eat moderate amounts instead of putting food in your gullet habitually, and you'll become hungry less often.

Third, learn to eat right.

Fourth, exercise. Don't try to find the perfect exercise or spend years researching before you start; just start slowly and progress steadily doing whatever you can, right away. Calisthenics like knee bends and push-ups are as good a start as any. Refine it over time; most important is just to start something. And be sure to add some stretches for flexibility, and to lessen the chance of injury whether you're exercising or not.

Fifth, get enough sleep so you can recover from exercise and increase your general health.

If you look pregnant now, you're not going to look fantastic in a month. Be satisified with what you get; it will be proportional to what you put into it, but physical fitness is not an overnight kind of thing.

tbach24
07-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Pilates. I love it. Also, running and swimming are good and fun exercizes. And like others said, eat/drink better.

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Also, focus more on Calories out. Increasing exercise is much more effective in the long run than decreasing intake. Just eat healthy and exercise daily. Do not significantly restrict your intake (aka diet).

zephed
07-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Play soccer. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

EliteNinja
07-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Play tennis.

I played every day for 3 hours for 2 weeks and lost 8 pounds AND I ate ice cream every night before I went to bed.

GrooveNougat
07-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Here you go:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/GrooveNougat/jared.jpg

kyro
07-18-2005, 07:39 PM
abortion

fimbulwinter
07-18-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this exercise is focused specifically on eliminating the gut.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no such thing as targeted fat loss via exercise. can't believe you dudn't know that.

fim

augie00
07-18-2005, 07:59 PM
This thread is full of speculative advice. AEKDBet's post is right on the money however.

private joker
07-18-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AEKDBet's post is right on the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a very good post.

chuddo
07-20-2005, 06:48 PM
swim laps every day. tones your entire body. also do bicycle crunches every morning and every night. throw in some pushups until you are exhausted.

this simple routine combined with eating less junk should be enough to improve your shape to a moderate degree. just think of all the trim on holiday every day and it will be motivation enough.

also even if you don't pop into perfect shape, you will feel better about yourself for simply looking better, which will result in more confidence. which in turn will result to being up to your neck in the minge.