PDA

View Full Version : Someone make a 16 band poll for greatest British Rock band of all time

SaintAces
07-17-2005, 01:57 PM
let's get a list ready, add to this, I have to go in two minutes so I'll just list the very obvious...

Rolling Stones
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
The Who

miajag81
07-17-2005, 02:02 PM
the beatles aren't my favorite band, but is there any chance they wouldn't win this?

Hamish McBagpipe
07-17-2005, 02:03 PM
The Clash
Radiohead
Oasis
Blur
Sex Pistols
Black Sabbath
Jethro Tull
Yes
Pink Floyd
Genesis

fluxrad
07-17-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oasis

[/ QUOTE ]

The Beatles have already been mentioned.

Oh. Also, nominate Pink Floyd (Though The Beatles be my first choice).

jcmack13
07-17-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the beatles aren't my favorite band, but is there any chance they wouldn't win this?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no chance. At all. Which is why this poll need not be done.

Bulldog
07-17-2005, 02:42 PM
You want a poll, make a poll. Slacker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AZK
07-17-2005, 02:51 PM
How do the Beatles not win this?

Zeno
07-17-2005, 03:21 PM
You forget two very important bands:

Eric Burdon and The Animals
The Kinks

-Zeno

diebitter
07-18-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the beatles, but also agree it's a waste of time in terms of a winner. Beatles will and should win.

However, it'd be interesting to know the rest.

I guess other contenders would be (I'm a UKer, so don't know if all these guys are heard of across the pond):

Kinks
Small Faces
S_x pistols
Clash
Queen
Motorhead (this is written a ROCK band - lower case isn't good enough)
Deep Purple
Oasis

Jack of Arcades
07-18-2005, 05:39 AM
NEW ORDER.

tbach24
07-18-2005, 06:02 AM
We just did this like I said like 2 months ago tops (although it was all bands included).

For those interested, Led Zeppelin beat Rolling Stones in the semi's and Beatles crushed Pink Floyd and then Led Zeppelin.

If you are to do it, please leave out the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, if not Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and perhaps Radiohead.

Maulik
07-18-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are to do it, please leave out the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, if not Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and perhaps Radiohead.

[/ QUOTE ]

do not leave out Radiohead, the others can be left behind.

sexdrugsmoney
07-18-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NEW ORDER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you group Joy Division and New Order together as "Joy Division/New Order" or treat them as seperate entities?

I vote for seperate, even though after Joy Division ended, almost all fans became New Order fans, despite a very different sound.

stigmata
07-18-2005, 08:56 AM
I would voter for a single "New Order/Joy Division" category, for the selfish reason that they will get a higher score this way.

And they are (almost) the same band - for example, do we split other bands that have changed a member into two categories?

I agree they sound different pre/post Curtis, but they still have three quarters of the same ingredients.

Jack of Arcades
07-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I put them together, IMO. If a band like KMFDM is the same despite having different members every album, JDNO is the same.

If you do that, it makes their case a helluva lot stronger because Closer is amazing.