PDA

View Full Version : Zero point

07-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi to all,

Can you define the meaning of zero point?
For example, zero point may be the present time. We live through our memories from the past and our thoughts for the future. Present does not exist.
Or maybe zero point is when I lose all my money and I don't have any more to play!
Anyone else?

benjdm
07-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Never heard the phrase. Context ?

einbert
07-18-2005, 06:30 AM
You mean a reference point?

07-18-2005, 08:14 AM
We can find the first use of the symbol which we recognise today as the notation of zero, when Greek astronomers began to use the symbol O. There are many theories why this particular notation was used. Some historians favour the explanation that it is Omicron, the first letter of the Greek word for nothing namely "OYDEN".
Other explanations offered include the fact that it stands for "OBOLOS", a Greek coin of almost no value.
We can see from this that the early use of zero was to denote an empty place.
So what does zero means to you as a number, or as a reference point, or whatever?

Dov
07-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Where's that useless thread account?

Just kidding.

I think that a zero point is simply a reference point against which you intend to measure something else. Obviously your point will need relevant units and properties of whatever the unknown quantity is.

I think that if you are looking for something specific, you should articulate it a little bit better, otherwise, I hope you found what you were looking for.

07-18-2005, 06:16 PM
OK I'll try to be more specific.
Zero is neither positive nor negative but psychologically it is negative. The concept of zero represents "something" that is "not there," while zero as a number represents the lowest of all non-negative numbers.
My question is where do you think does the zero fit in?

PairTheBoard
07-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Where do you think zero "fits in" Resta?

PairTheBoard

mosquito
07-18-2005, 07:20 PM
"hey everyone, I've invented the zero!"

"what???"

"oh, nothing.....nothing."

drudman
07-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Apparently, the subject line of this thread has a literal meaning.

07-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Nowhere? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

drudman
07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
I would have also accepted:

[ QUOTE ]

Can you define the meaning of zero point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just did.

drudman
07-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Okay, I'll contribute something -

Zero is just a symbol for an empty set. "Nothing" is not "something" that we can talk about or assign characteristics too. Any psychological conceptualization of "nothing" is senseless.

EliteNinja
07-21-2005, 02:38 AM
DARK HELMET: What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?
SANDURZ: Now, you're looking at now, sir. Everything that's happening now is happening now. points to screen
DARK HELMET: What happened to then?
SANDURZ: We missed it.
DARK HELMET: When?
SANDURZ: Just now. You're at now now.
DARK HELMET: Go back to then.
SANDURZ: We can't.
DARK HELMET: Why not?
SANDURZ: We missed it.
DARK HELMET: When?
SANDURZ: Just now.
DARK HELMET: When will then be now?
SANDURZ: Soon.

07-21-2005, 06:21 AM
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

einbert
07-21-2005, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, duh.

drudman
07-21-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsensical post of the week award.

Dov
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We've still got a couple of days.

Give others more chances.

07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks drudman /images/graemlins/smile.gif Does killing time damage eternity ?

superleeds
07-21-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is not known. In fact it is more likely that a finite amount of worlds exist.

[ QUOTE ]
simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, according to who?

07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No it is not known. In fact it is more likely that a finite amount of worlds exist.
Again, according to who?

[/ QUOTE ]

In "The Wheels of If", in 1940, De Camp said, "The number of worlds is infinite, or almost".
Aristotle’s idea was that we can never conceive of the natural numbers as a whole. However they are potentially infinite in the sense that given any finite collection we can always find a larger finite collection
Either way don't shoot the piano player, it was only a saying...

superleeds
07-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Ok, sorry. /images/graemlins/grin.gif