PDA

View Full Version : Pizza

Anadrol 50
02-20-2003, 10:28 PM
I hate to bitch, but I am [censored] sick of these arrogant pizza makers! When you go into a pizza joint and want a slice, they throw it in the oven. They always make it too hot! You then have to wait to consume it or risk burning your throat. If you ask them to not make it so hot, they will look at you like you're an alien and then proceed to put it in for three seconds so you get back a cold slice of pizza. I would say that this is just an innocent error, but it has happened to me in many different places (different states and even countries) so I think these guys are pulling a power play: 'If you tell me how to heat my pizza, you will get cold pizza'. What the [censored]!!!! Somebody please enlighten me.....

Anadrol 50
02-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Am I the only one this happens to ???

brad
02-22-2003, 05:36 PM
i think u r the only one.

first order, then go wash up, hopefully youll take too long and your piece will cool off by the time you get back.

Phat Mack
02-22-2003, 06:12 PM
It happens to me, too, and I've been giving it some thought. There's probably somebody out there who'll correct me, but I think pizzas are cooked in relatively hot ovens: say, 500f. If the relationship between the temperature of the slice and the length of time in the oven was logarithmic, then if you charted the temp/time you would see an "S" curve with a pretty steep slope. What this means is that if you put a slice in the oven for 2 minutes, the slice might be too cold for 58 seconds, pass through the "just right" phase for four seconds, and then be too hot for 58 seconds. It would be difficult to get it just right, and Mr. Pizza Guy would opt for too hot (as long as it didn't burn) rather than too cold because the customer could always let it cool to his tasted.

For some reason I always associate pizza by the slice with a burnt tounge, probably because of the temperature retaining characteristics of the fat in the cheese and the additional acidity of the tomato sauce.

There's gotta be someone out there who's worked in pizza joint who can settle all this.

Ray Zee
02-22-2003, 10:37 PM
ive eaten enough of the stuff so i am the foremost expert on this forum on pizza. mark heide may claim to also but fagettabout him. pizza should be so hot it burns your mouth. then its cooked right. you just have to wait to stuff your fat face a few minutes. drink an extra beer. beer is what goes with pizza.
thin crust. good cheese. and homemade sauce. no vegis on top. eat your salad before the pizza. all that extra crap bleeds out water and ruins the pizza.

next lesson will be on rocky mountain oysters.

Billy LTL
02-23-2003, 06:25 AM
You have absolutely no right to moan about pizza until you've lived in Asia for a couple of years.

Billy

Mark Heide
02-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Ray,

You are pretty much correct! If the pizza joint does not make there own dough or sauce, you can be pretty sure that the pizza they make tastes like crap. So, avoid all pizzas made by chain restaurants (I shouldn't have to mention any names).

Maybe, one of these days, Ray, you will come to Chicago and have a real deep dish or thin crust pizza.

Mark

baggins
02-24-2003, 06:37 AM
i will buy ray a beer if he comes here for pizza.

nicky g
02-24-2003, 10:17 AM
American pizza is the best. Better even than Italian pizza, IMO (although there's a a difference in kind, really). If my wife ever wants us to move to the US, she knows she just has to mention pizza and burritos (and poker, I suppose...) for me to head drooling towards the nearest airport.

Ray Zee
02-24-2003, 11:19 PM
baggins how about a pitcher of beer. i dont go out for pizza and just drink one measly little bottle of brew. if you are one of those weak drinkers like mark than all bets are off. but if you want to do some eating and drinking okay by me. we can even bring along the wimp if you like.

Mark Heide
02-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Ray,

That's pretty big talk from someone who is afraid to see me face to face. Baggins will not even have to buy you a beer, because you will never show up.

If you are up to it. I can arrange to have a one-table No-Limit satellite at the Chicago location for the Rockford Charitable Games. They usually use a location that serves beer and I will buy all beer you can drink. Later, we will go out for a Chicago style pizza. I'm sure Baggins, Rounder, and SPM will show up, but I think you are chicken. Just like last year you will come up with an excuse. It's hard to believe that a rich guy like you with no job doesn't have time to visit the people that buy your books.

I'm disappointed, and it will not surprise me if you're a no show again. At least I know who I can count on.

Mark

Ray Zee
02-25-2003, 12:37 AM
i measure time in decades not years, so i will show up some day. i came close to coming last year. if its hot and humid this year in michigan you will get me. or if the sweet corn isnt good.
it looks like we lost spm and rounder. they dont show their faces anymore, too bad, both were great blokes. their return will be my present.

Anadrol 50
08-18-2003, 07:12 PM
I hate to elaborate on such an old topic, but I am now angry again.....

There is a disturbing trend in pizza shops (at leat in my area).....

I guess they see bigger Italian restaurants making $ and they want to emulate them. So what happens is every little tiny Pizzaria gets a waitress. They don't redo the place, they don't change the paper menu, they don't get new chairs.......THEY GET A WAITRESS! While this may be conveinent for a family or a big spender on a date, it is a pain in the ass for the guy who wants to run in and grab a quick slice:it takes longer AND it costs more...

I guess my point is that if you want to open a real restaurant, DO IT!!!! ...but don't turn your little pizza shop into a psuedo resaurant....