PDA

View Full Version : Is the free card play dead

aargh57
07-17-2005, 12:22 PM
I remember reading some months back some discussion of the free card play and how it was one of a number of things that new players should "unlearn". I tried to do a search for free card in the subject but didn't come up with anything. When I typed in + "free card" -re in the Texas Holdem forum, all the posts came up. When I typed + free + card -re nothing came up.

Anyway, if I remember the reasoning was that since this play is so widely known that it isn't effective anymore. Could anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks

AKQJ10
07-17-2005, 12:38 PM
And low-limit poker isn't beatable because everyone knows the right way to play is to wait on good hands and play them aggressively....

No, pardon my sarcasm, but I've not seen any reason to declare it dead at the limits I play at (up to $4/8 live and 50c/$1 online). Players there may not be paying enough attention to know that you use the free card. Even if your opponent knows it and knows you know it, it's a hard play to defend because they run the risk that you really do have a monster, and betting into you on the turn is going to cost them money. So AFAIK it's alive and well.

aargh57
07-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks, I guess I just needed some affirmation. I still use it but I do try to change up especially if I know that my opponent knows about the free card play. Although, like you suggest, most low limit players won't and will simply let you get the free card and still pay you off when you river your flush/strt. Although, I do play at 2/4 or 3/6 online, I doubt that the free card play is much different than .5/1. Thanks.

SheridanCat
07-17-2005, 01:31 PM
As with almost everything poker related, "it depends". There are going to be instances where the free card play doesn't work, but I think it's still a completely valid play at most tables. People don't like being raised and they don't like being check raised, so they do tend to check to the raiser or check behind a check raiser.

If it's not working on a table you're currently at, you need to adjust.

Regards,

T

Guthrie
07-17-2005, 05:47 PM
I use it several times a day at .25/50 and .50/1 and it works way more than half the time.

Altaslim
07-18-2005, 01:04 AM
I play 5/10 and 10/20 6max and the free card play is alive and well there. Whenever I get it pulled on me I'm sure to note it. I think the relative success of the play is opponent dependent, meaning I don't see it working against the more aggressive players but it does tend to work quite well against a weak-tightie, IMO.

OrianasDaad
07-18-2005, 03:55 AM
It's useful in a number of situations, but one thing nearly always has to be constant.

Your opponents have to be passive.

Also, you often shouldn't take a free card, particularly if you have a large equity in the pot and/or you might be able to increase your chances of winning the pot.