PDA

View Full Version : Interesting AKs bubble hand

John Hurst
07-17-2005, 04:24 AM
So it's your classic bubble situation with 1 short stack in the big blind. I'm in the small blind with AKs and 1120 in chips.

UTG open limps.
Does anybody not complete at this point? I complete thinking it is likely I will get to see the flop, there is value in helping knock out the short stack, and finally AKs is most likely the best hand. Anybody raise or push?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1120)
BB (t670)
UTG (t4490)
Button (t3720)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t300, Button calls t300, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t670 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1040</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

Now it gets weird. BB goes allin and UTG minraises to 1040 so now its 740 for me to call but realistically it is an allin situation. Does anybody call this? I just felt that UTG was waaaaayyyy ahead of the short stack and it was unnecessary for me to get involved in this pot. Thoughts?

fluorescenthippo
07-17-2005, 04:30 AM
im pretty sure you have to call the UTG's raise. you only have to beat him or the shortstack to money.

fluorescenthippo
07-17-2005, 04:33 AM
this is an interesting hand. i believe i would push instead of completing the more i think about it. if BB had less chips it would be more tricky.

curtains
07-17-2005, 05:19 AM
I think its a very very clear call for you. How can you possibly fold AKs here 4 handed when your call may be needed to beat the allin player? The only way calling really hurts you is if neither you or UTG win the hand.

UTG may have decided to just isolate for some reason after the BB went allin, who the heck knows what these guys are thinking.

johnnybeef
07-17-2005, 05:37 AM
i think i push here. you are likely toast if the short stack doubles up as a 3 bb push is getting called by any two here. i think you are getting enough of an odds overlay if you are up against kings (even though i havent done the math). if the big stack has aces, you are going to get third over 80% of the time.

curtains
07-17-2005, 05:38 AM
Yeah just to emphasize I dont think that this is remotely a close call.

The Yugoslavian
07-17-2005, 05:40 AM
Dude.....you gotta call/push after shorty is allin. You're giving up way too much if you fold after shorty goes allin and UTG jumps on it.

Yugoslav

johnnybeef
07-17-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah just to emphasize I dont think that this is remotely a close call.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

curtains
07-17-2005, 06:21 AM
What I mean is that folding is not even an acceptable option to consider.

johnnybeef
07-17-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What I mean is that folding is not even an acceptable option to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, agreed

John Hurst
07-17-2005, 01:10 PM
In retrospect I screwed this hand up. I think I respected the limp-reraise too much and was too willing to sit back and let the big stack try and take out the big blind. Thanks for the feedback.

curtains
07-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah just look at it from the likely donklike UTG's point of view. He may have just limped and once the BB went in, it became obvious to him that everyone else would fold if he isolated with a reraise. I wouldn't be shocked if his hand wasn't that strong.

DonButtons
07-17-2005, 04:12 PM
This is the easy part, since bb went all in, there's no reason you shouldn't be allin yourself.

Have you ever read any of gramp's old posts about 3 handed calling situations on the bubble as the 2nd shortest stack?

I think you might want to search for a couple of his posts as it explains this situation very good.