PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fires one last shot on the river?

NDHand
07-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Villain was 33/10 Postflop AF 2.80 over 30 hands. The only thing I could saw him call that I had beat was the flush draw. Standard?

einbert
07-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Perfect.

Pokey
07-17-2005, 12:30 AM
CO is aggressive enough that he could be bluffing here, but even a "bluff" could have you beaten. While your play screams "I'm afraid I'm beaten," and he could be betting to represent the flush, he doesn't NEED a flush to beat you here. Even his lousy pocket deuces trumps your ace-high. He could easily be doing the all-too-common "bluffing with a modest hand," a costly but frequent play where people can't decide if they're bluffing against strength or value betting against weakness. In any case, the pot is small here, and your opponent has to be bluffing with NOTHING a really large fraction of the time (1/6.75 = 15% or more) for this call to be correct. Against some players that's certainly possible. Against a weak 2/4 player, I think folding is correct here.

einbert
07-17-2005, 12:34 AM
I think the key here is, why would he call the turn and river if he had no hand? Any draw that he could have had got there.

Pokey
07-17-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the key here is, why would he call the turn and river if he had no hand? Any draw that he could have had got there.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, any draw YOU could have had got there. I don't trust anonymous 2/4 PP players to automatically be playing sensible hands. Having been called on the river (not raised -- CALLED) by a player who was beaten by any hand holding any card higher than a SIX, I know that what seems unimaginably stupid to a 2+2er is not necessarily an impossible play for a low-stakes poker player.

Still, while I disagree with your reasoning, I agree with your conclusion.

tansoku
07-17-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, any draw YOU could have had got there. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got to do this more (looking at the board from the other player's perspective).
By this logic, isn't a chk-raise better?
Hero is already semi-bluffing this hand 3 SB and folding to a raise on either the flop/turn right?
Chk-raise and take control of the hand, or fold to a 3 bet.
If it gets checked behind, you get a free card and maybe you improve, and if not chk-fold this small pot..

What hands does CO cold-call the flop with and NOT raise post flop that are problems for hero? A9, A6, JTs, A/images/graemlins/club.gifx /images/graemlins/club.gif?
I think these get called down every time. However, with a chk-raise on the flop villain would likely think hero has AA, AK, KK, or 99 and fold it (or to a turn lead). After all, that is how the villain would likely play the same hand(s). It's 1 SB more, and puts the decision to Villain on 2 streets with what looks like a monster hand staring him in the face.

Otherwise, how terrible is chk-folding the flop here because of the possibility of A9, A6?
The pot is small...

I think I'd either aggressively bluff it or fold it, simply betting out doesn't seem like it does much good...

shark6
07-17-2005, 02:17 PM
I don't like a flop checkraise because:

1. Villian will likely check behind and you missed a chance to lead out and get him to fold a flop that usually misses him.

2. A checkrasie will often tie Villian to a now large pot and cause him to call you down with any pair.

sy_or_bust
07-17-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't understand what all this checkraise chatter is about. Hero played perfectly.