PDA

View Full Version : Why do Maniacs...

x2ski
07-16-2005, 11:47 PM
rarely, if ever, chat during play?

Are they hardcore, die-hard maniacs who must concentrate on their extreme LAG play, or is there something more?

It is common for the table maniac to incur a barrage of insults and expletives during their stay, but most of the time they keep their mouths shut. Why is this?

My theory is that they were originally quite vocal, but had their chat privilages revoked as a result of an "aggressive" vocabulary.

Any other ideas?

I know this is semi-OT, but I was just curious.

ctv1116
07-16-2005, 11:49 PM
ARE YOU XXXXXXX KIDDING ME??? WHENEVER THERE'S A MANIAC AT THE TABLE THEY'RE SCREAMING AND CURSING LIKE A TILTING MOFO.

x2ski
07-16-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ARE YOU XXXXXXX KIDDING ME??? WHENEVER THERE'S A MANIAC AT THE TABLE THEY'RE SCREAMING AND CURSING LIKE A TILTING MOFO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, not here. It's usually the loose passives that do that when I'm playing.

topspin
07-16-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would ruin their image. You don't know it, but on the other side of that internet connection, they're wearing dark sunglasses and a hoodie and are staring you down while you're deciding if you should call.

x2ski
07-17-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would ruin their image. You don't know it, but on the other side of that internet connection, they're wearing dark sunglasses and a hoodie and are staring you down while you're deciding if you should call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why my soul always feels like it's being watched!

phish
07-17-2005, 12:33 AM
they're there to play, not to chat.

i frankly don't understand why people bother to chat when playing. if you have enough time to type in all those comments, you ought to open up another table.

SoftcoreRevolt
07-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Some of em probably don't know they can open up more than one table, and thank god, more money for them to lose to me. Sure they'd play worse if they had 4 tables going instead of 1, but I have enough good tables already, they are far more likely to stay around one tabling than 4, since their short term with regards to luck is shortened by that much more.

Matty
07-17-2005, 04:28 AM
80% of all players don't talk. You just pay more attention to the lags, which makes it seem like they talk less.

Also, some of them I suspect are too drunk to notice or care about the chat box.

poker-penguin
07-17-2005, 11:29 AM
The chat box is beneath the fold button isn't it?

sthief09
07-17-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, not here. It's usually the loose passives that do that when I'm playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

same with me. the loose passive players talk more [censored] than any other class of players, and you'd expect them to do it the least.

BigBrother
07-17-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The chat box is beneath the fold button isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's that? I can only see the 'raise' button.

Lagging it up can be fun, and if you pay attention to how the table reacts, you can learn quite a bit to improve your game. (Sure, it CAN suck if you run bad, but hey that's life.)

I think the Maniacs talk about as much as the rest. There are just not as many of them.

timprov
07-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Where's Brown Thumb when you need him?

Wyers
07-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Agreed. The maniacs are there to GAMBOOL and have a good time - they don't seem to get to worked up about the swings and bad beats. They get a charge out of reraising pots and trying to hit their longshots. I find they are usually good natured and harmless. They know that they don't have a clue - nor do they care.

The loose passives on the other hand LOSE THEIR FREAKIN' MINDS when they take a beat.

sthief09
07-17-2005, 05:52 PM
that makes a lot of sense. the maniacs don't care about risk. the loose-passive people are more conservative with their money and don't like losing. I guess that answers the OPs question

x2ski
07-18-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that makes a lot of sense. the maniacs don't care about risk. the loose-passive people are more conservative with their money and don't like losing. I guess that answers the OPs question

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it does... Thanks wyers /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

LargeCents
07-18-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Are they hardcore, die-hard maniacs who must concentrate on their extreme LAG play, or is there something more?

It is common for the table maniac to incur a barrage of insults and expletives during their stay, but most of the time they keep their mouths shut. Why is this?

My theory is that they were originally quite vocal, but had their chat privilages revoked as a result of an "aggressive" vocabulary.

Any other ideas?

I know this is semi-OT, but I was just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are too busy betting and/or raising.

They are too stupid/drunk to be able to type.

Lalit Khajuria
07-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Their chat is already banned.

Theodore Donald Kiravatsos
07-18-2005, 06:08 PM
I am of the opinion that there are two sorts...

1) (less common)
The Action-junkie who has more fun playing when throwing all these bets and raises in. It's all in fun whether they win or lose, and the times they do chat, they seem like they would be "fun" to play with in your home game. This is the sort of person who would share his cards with his buddies watching or to impress some chick. A "lol" that seems cheerful rather than sarcastic when they get a bluff picked off or when they are drawn out on sometimes shows up. Seems like they do not initiate the chat but are nice enough if you start in with jokes or harmless chat instead of insults.

2) (far more common)
The degenerate loser a-hole. This person is the self destructive/pathological gambler who knows what tonight's result will be, but through complusion brings things about quicker than necessary. They are gambling "to get it over with", quite possibly with money that they cannot afford to lose, and it shows up in their demeanor. I identify these very bitter, unpleasant people by the constant cowboy raises and playbacks, coupled with the "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" in chat whenever anyone thinks or pauses long enough to come within shouting distance of the timer.

"Your excuses are your own" -- Richard Roma

belloc
07-18-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Their chat is already banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fun saying this in your best Hugo Weaving voice.