PDA

View Full Version : Bad read/stupid call?

Toro
02-20-2003, 01:18 PM
NLHE weekly tourney. 2nd level after end of rebuy period, blinds 75/150. Im in the BB with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . EP limps, SB completes and I see the flop for free. Editorial note: I do not defend my blind with this type of hand unless real short stacked and it seems that whenever I get a free flop with a hand I wouldn't have played to a raise, disaster happens. I'm chip leader at the table with a little less than T4000. The SB has 2nd chip count about 300 less than me.
Flop: 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif ,pretty good flop for my hand. The SB who I thought was clueless from an earlier bad call that turned good for him moves all in for 3365, an unusally oversized bet into a 450 pot. I'm not sure why but I put him on a flush draw. Sure he could have had 2 hearts or 4,6 or 2 pair or a set or an overpair(doubtful) but I just thought that my top pair, top kicker was the best hand and I also had the nut flush draw as a backup. If I didn't have both I wouldn't have called but I did so I did, call. He starts chanting "no more hearts, no more hearts and I knew I was in trouble. No more hearts came and he turned over pocket threes for the set and I end up crippling myself out of contention with a hand I wouldn't even have played to a raise preflop. Was this a stupid call or just bad luck. In retrospect I think it was stupid because I didn't need to do anything at this point as I had a healthy stack. In my defense, I will say that in tourneys I try to make a read and then trust it. What do you all think?

ohkanada
02-20-2003, 02:50 PM
I would fold. The problem is you may well be up against made hands ( i.e. flush, straight or set). In these scenarios you are a 2:1 underdog so 1 time in 3 you will double up and the other 2 times you will on the sideline.

Now if you have the guy pegged for crazy and he would go all-in with a single heart or a gutshot then call away.

Ken Poklitar

davidross
02-21-2003, 12:54 PM
I'd like to ask this from the point of view of the SB who has flopped a vulnerable monster. The Pot is $450, what is the correct amount to make it incorrect for someone to try and draw out on him? I would think he'd want callers, it seems a shame to win just the 450 with this hand, so would a slightly larger than pot sized bet do it? Or do you just push all in and hope someone makes a big error?