PDA

View Full Version : from winning player, to losing player

JamesM
07-16-2005, 09:38 PM
So after a year or so of playing, I managed to make over $4000 from low limit games, tournaments, and SNGs up to the $33s. My logs show a steady and positive grow rate of my bankroll, from many small wins.

However, since I withdrew and spent so much of my bankroll, I only had $1100 left at one point. Then a losing "streak" started.

SNGs were beat after beat (at least 25 buyins lost). I tilted about 200 in cash games, and I'm left with a measly few hundred for a bankroll. Obviously, i'm supposed to be playing .50-1 limit and 25 NL, but I have lost all my patience and confidence for these games.

You guys probably read posts all the time about some donk who put in $75 and turned it into $20k in a month from luck, then cries about losing it all back. That isn't me.

It just seems like the combination of losses destroyed my confidence for the game, and winning thought process.

Is there anything you guys can say to help me get back into the game, from basically ground zero?

seahawktd
07-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Just focus on playing solid poker and the results will eventually turn positive.

PokerCat69
07-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Your used to higher stake games but don't have the bankroll for them. I'm in the same boat as you. All you need is patience. I took $50 and turned it into $420 and believe me 5NL is not fun.(nor is 10NL) I'd rather walk around town with a "kick me" sign on my crotch then battle for .40 cents pots all day.
But do it! you can make ok money if you play a couple tables and play for long periods of time.
Don't jump back to the high stake games under funded, just grit your teeth and play the penny games till you have more cash.
I'm hoping to be at 50NL by months end.

JamesM
07-16-2005, 09:59 PM
yea I know I could probably camp for AA and sets all day long at 25 NL, but I'm going to have to get my head straight and my patience back.

pearljam
07-16-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just focus on playing solid poker and the results will eventually turn positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you know?

baronzeus
07-16-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good poker players win in the long run.

sassi
07-16-2005, 11:18 PM
I would take a different approach, first stop playing for a week or two weeks depending, then spend some time reading poker books new or old just to refresh yourself on anything you may have forgotten and to reinforce the correct plays to hopeful help your confidence. Then possibly think about playing limit instead of nl, nl swings are tough, but a tight aggressive game will dominate in $1/2 or $2/4 limit and will help to build your bankroll and confidence. Good Luck

pearljam
07-17-2005, 12:19 AM
define "long run"

Python49
07-17-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything you guys can say to help me get back into the game, from basically ground zero?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, yeah... stop spending 3/4 your bank roll.

lil feller
07-17-2005, 04:20 AM
Have you exhausted all of your bonus whoring opportunities? This is a great way to get your BR up. You'll have to play in small games, of course, but too bad. You made the BIGGEST mistake a poker player can make. You ate your seedcorn. You simply can't spend that much of your BR and expect everything to be ok. You have to rebuild, slowly and patiently. If you try to rush, you'll go broke...take it from a guy thats been there.

lf

07-17-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

However, since I withdrew and spent so much of my bankroll, I only had $1100 left at one point. Then a losing "streak" started .

[/ QUOTE ]
LINK (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2367015&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Siingo
07-17-2005, 06:20 AM
over 150K hands.....

xCEO
07-17-2005, 06:23 AM
you could consider to deposit some of you own money to you poker bankroll. If it is true that you are a winning player, why battle for 40 cent pots all day?

and ofcourse, don't spend to much of your bankroll

Siingo
07-17-2005, 06:28 AM
It is good for the diccipline to play the low limits again. Then you know that you have the controll to stop playing the high limits if you are low on money. It might feel boring in the beggining but I think it is good for you. It is a way to get the confidence back..

If you start to push more money in to your account becaus you whish to play the high limits, then you shall start to be afraid that you might have a gambling problem...

If you bonuswhore and play good poker then it wont take long untill get get your bankroll back..

Next time, do not spend that much from your bankroll....

Have fun!

pearljam
07-17-2005, 09:48 AM
think its impossible to lose over 150k hands? how about 2 million hands?

pecto
07-17-2005, 12:57 PM
next time don't cash out so much