PDA

View Full Version : KJs flops TP in big pot

Xiphoid
07-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Is this cold-call in the SB questionable or standard with that much money in and a suited broadway?

Flop: (24 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (21 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls $3 (All-In), UTG+1 calls.

River: (29.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 32.75 BB

pokerjunky
07-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Only thing I don't really like here is the flop checkraise. I would have probably check called given the pre-flop action or bet out hoping UTG would raise it for me and possibly get a few hands behind him to fold. However, I think check calling is best on the flop. All you did was tie more players to the pot with a vulnerable hand. Otherwise, the turn bet was good since UTG might have raised it with his aces and forced out some hands which may be a threat to yours.

sy_or_bust
07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
I don't like the first preflop call at all.

The flop checkraise is really bad spewing. You are usually behind on this flop, and you have no draws to speak of.I would check/call the flop and turn (assuming odds), planning to check/fold the river UI.

Since you improved, the rest is pretty obvious IMO.

Nick C
07-16-2005, 10:57 PM
You could be dominated preflop, and for that reason I'd consider folding to the first raise, but you have a good multiway hand, the pot is multiway, and you are getting in at a slight discount.

UTG isn't really that short-stacked, but all the same his limp-reraise could mean a lot of things (inclucing, of course, AA and KK, but also including much more speculative hands) in a pot with this many players in.

Despite flopping top pair, I think I like a check-and-see on the flop. (Betting into UTG is something to consider too, I think, especially if you think some people might fold if he raises.) When UTG bets and no one raises, that kind of seems like a good sign (although he could easily have you beat). I guess maybe CO's preflop raise and cap meant he felt like gambling, or he's slowplaying.

With only UTG showing strength, possibly your flop checkraise is for value, and also getting through UTG's stack could have its benefits. I'd probably just call, but I don't know what's best really, and after your checkraise gets 3-bet, that does at least invite others to fold (although I see that no one did).

When Button springs to life on the turn, I start thinking AQ or maybe Q9 (or a flop slowplay), though a hand like JT is also possible (fortunately for us).

I kind of doubt you won this, but even if you didn't, you may have won some other monster pot at the table. The table looks kind of wild.

Xiphoid
07-17-2005, 05:27 AM
The table was extremely wild with frequent three-betting and capping with mediocre holdings. I called pre-flop hoping to hit a big flush or straight, but instead hit top pair.

I agree that the check-raise was a mistake since none of the trapped players are going to fold for one more bet.

I lost this hand to the Button's KhQh.

L_Dude
07-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Preflop is a borderline call. The reason is that with 6 players, you are really playing this as a suited connector OOP with little high card value. After the pre-flop cap, you should really suspect you are in trouble.

I really don't like the Flop checkraise, you aren't driving anyone out and you probably need to improve to win.

No need to bet out on the Turn, this is the time that you ought to be checkraising (assuming that you didn't on the flop). You probably aren't driving anyone out, but now you may have the best hand. If you are leading out, why not 3-bet?

River, this many players left, you are probably losing check / call seems appropriate.

Redd
07-17-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you improved, the rest is pretty obvious IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a turn 3-bet? Are you that sure that Button has AQ?