PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 Party, Flopped a set in a raised pot

Jonny
07-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Party Poker (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Villain has not really gotten out of line in the 2 orbits or so I have been sitting down.

Stack sizes:
Villain- $2,563
Hero- $1,930

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>. Villain raises to 60 on the button after a fold. SB folds, I call. Heads up to the flop.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> (Pot = $130)
I lead for 120, villain min-raises to 240. I just call.

Turn: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
(Pot = 610)
I lead again for 400. Villain minraises again to 800. I have 1300 behind, and he has me covered. Your action?

Yeti
07-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Given you posted this, I'm assuming you either lost to a set or made Villain fold a worse hand.

I don't think you can get away from this. I think he has KJ/AA/a donkishly played AK a lot more than he has a higher set.

I probably push the turn, it looks like he's happy to get the money in and you hate to call and see this river get checked through.

ryanvick
07-16-2005, 11:57 PM
a donkishly played ak.... quick question (about OP, I'm probably all-in like 1st reply) but about that reply, If I hold ak and he's leading in to me, do I flat call, I don't fold, so basically what is the play for the opposing player if he hold's AK, should he have enough of a read on OP to maybe let it go even though the flop is pretty much what he's looking for...
that is why i hate NL sometimes though, sets just kill you.

Jonny
07-17-2005, 01:26 AM
If I had AK there and got led into 2 times, I would probably either just call the turn and evaluate the river, or fold the turn. In the hand, I did indeed push in on the turn, and he folded.

i was wondering if smooth calling and pushing in on any river would be better? The board is fairly drawless.

durron597
07-17-2005, 02:35 AM
That's such a bizarre line for villian to take, I think I call turn and check-call any sized river bet. Then again I am incapable of folding a set ever on a drawless board.

etizzle
07-17-2005, 06:29 AM
you can be assured he did not have top pair or better, i highly doubt you get any more money out of him.

Niwa
07-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Push the turn.

Jonny
07-17-2005, 10:37 AM
I would never ever considering folding this, I was just wondering what the best line to get the money in was?

How do you guys like the stop and go on the turn?

durron597
07-17-2005, 12:36 PM
If you are really dedicated to get all the money in no matter what, minireraise the turn and push the river.

Niwa
07-17-2005, 04:26 PM
The way I see it a push is more likely to get called than a minraise here. At least by me.

kagame
07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
let him bluff the river

if you raise now hes only calling hands that beat you, and while rare, thats extremely costly

Niwa
07-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Without position Im not willing to let him check the river.

If I would call the turn I would throw out something that looks like a blocking bet or I would make a smallvaluebet.

fsuplayer
07-17-2005, 07:17 PM
4 handed this seems like an autopush for me.

he could have any combination of two pairs on this flop, along with AA, or AK.

your play makes it look like a king, so even if he can beat that, which he is saying he can, you can still beat alot of those hands he thinks he's value raising.

Jonny
07-17-2005, 10:15 PM
fsu,

Since there are no real draws, do you think calling the turn and pushing on any river is better than pushing all in on the turn.

For me it seems like AK would call the river push more than the turn push...

OR

I could smooth call and throw out a small bet on the river, hoping to get raised, say $200. I think this may be the worst option, however, as AK will probably payoff a push.

Many times when they minraise the turn, they are "trying to see where they are at".

So what do you think?

Push the turn or push the river?

Jonny
07-17-2005, 10:17 PM
what does everyone think of my flop play and the stop and go on the turn?

fsuplayer
07-18-2005, 12:05 AM
he has half of his stack in there, and seems pretty willing to play for the rest.

but given that, i would much rather put it in there on the turn, as he may talk himself into calling with AK or KQ thinking you could be on a draw or have the same hand.

leading out all in on the river lets him get away more easily, as he may assume you got 'lucky' and caught two pair and figure he's beat.