PDA

View Full Version : time travel question

oddjob
07-16-2005, 06:56 PM
i don't know why i thought of this. it seemed like a retarded theoretical situation, so i thought where better to get a retarded answer. here is the situation:

you can go back in time once, but not bring anything back to the present with you. your purpose to go back is to obtain something that you can sell for a bung load of moolah. it has to be something you can buy that's fairly easily obtainable (for example, you can't go get the mona lisa). and before anyone asks how you get the money to buy something in the past, say you bring back a bar of gold you can sell.

what would you get, and where would you hide it to ensure that no one will find it.

i have no clue about antiques and that sort, so i can't even really give a good example, but for example say Babe ruth rookie card, hidden in a can 10 ft, below on some family farm.

Joshssj4
07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
As many shares in Microsoft as possible, just as it was starting up. Then hide it in a safety deposit box.
Pretty straight forward... not really creative.

-Skeme-
07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Julius Caesar's autograph.

imported_CaseClosed326
07-16-2005, 07:05 PM
If they exist, dead sea scrolls. Or something from Jesus. I don't know where I could hide it for 2k years.

Warik
07-16-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they exist, dead sea scrolls. Or something from Jesus. I don't know where I could hide it for 2k years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mail it to yourself. Worked in Quantum Leap and in Back to the Future. Since your shipment will be held for 20x as long, you might consider tipping the mailman 20x as much.

Good luck!

mostsmooth
07-16-2005, 09:33 PM
why do we have to hide it ? why dont we just bring it back with us?

Warik
07-16-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the OP said it's against the rules.

[ QUOTE ]
you can go back in time once, but not bring anything back to the present with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

mostsmooth
07-16-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the OP said it's against the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
i thought he was kidding about that part

James Boston
07-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Microsoft has somehow become the stock everyone refers to as the "if I could have only knew then what I know now" stock, but surely there is another publicly traded company that, if time travel is introduced to the equation, would make you more money.

The Armchair
07-16-2005, 10:12 PM
This is easy.

You go back in time about a week. Take your gold brick and convert it to cash. Find a place that will give you odds that Joseph Hachem will win the WSOP -- you'll probably get close to 1000:1, and make more than the 7.5m he made. (Gold is trading at almost $425 an ounce, so a 10 pound brick will fetch you a ton of capital.)

Mail yourself the betting slip. There's virtually no risk that it won't get delivered.

If you can't find odds on Hachem, you simply have to find another longshot that happened over the last few days.

tworooks
07-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Wouldn't betting a bunch on him drive the prices down? I don't know how the odds worked for WSOP, but in horse racing more money bet on a horse brings its odds down. Just trying to be stupid, making a point that you won't get 1000:1 odds. Still be able to make a bunch though.

goofball
07-16-2005, 10:16 PM
why mail it? why not just hide it in your house somewhere?

touchfaith
07-16-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is easy.

You go back in time about a week. Take your gold brick and convert it to cash. Find a place that will give you odds that Joseph Hachem will win the WSOP -- you'll probably get close to 1000:1, and make more than the 7.5m he made. (Gold is trading at almost $425 an ounce, so a 10 pound brick will fetch you a ton of capital.)

Mail yourself the betting slip. There's virtually no risk that it won't get delivered.

If you can't find odds on Hachem, you simply have to find another longshot that happened over the last few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took long enough. And these people call themselves gamblers?

Except, I'd actually go back and put the cash on the SuperTriFecta in this years Derby.

$1 paid $62,986

The Armchair
07-16-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why mail it? why not just hide it in your house somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

For extra Back to the Future II points, of course.

Thythe
07-16-2005, 10:22 PM
I think I'd go back to 1913 and acquire the few liberty nickels from that date. They seem to fetch a few million a piece. While I'm there (and have only spent about a dollar so far), I'd acquire some other of the rarest coins of the time.

Now...where to put them? Well, after 5 minutes of thinking, I give up on that for now. Everywhere involves a high amount of risk.

Thythe
07-16-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except, I'd actually go back and put the cash on the SuperTriFecta in this years Derby.

$1 paid $62,986

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually a $1 superfecta paid $864,253.50. If you bought a lot of them, though, you would clearly make less and less money.

touchfaith
07-16-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

$1 paid $62,986

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually a $1 superfecta paid $864,253.50. If you bought a lot of them, though, you would clearly make less and less money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what Thythe said...

(lol, the page I found was from 2001) "oops"