PDA

View Full Version : Green player needs hand help

clbodner
07-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Im inexperienced, so I dont know even what to do in what is im sure a common situation.
Im on the button, only one limp in front of me, and I see I have Ah Jh. I do know enough to know that theres few hands that will allow me to make more, so I raise knowing theres a good chance i have the best hand. Blinds fold, and the limper (villian) calls my raise. Flop is Kh 8s 7h so I bet, and the villian calls. 4th is 8c so I check fearing 8's or King but the villian checks on 4th too. River is a 4c. I check still fearing a slow play of a king, but the villian checks too, but he reveals a Qc 4d and wins the pot with the 4's even though I had by far the best starting hand and even the best flop. How do I avoid losing like this in the future? what would the right play of been?

UATrewqaz
07-16-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm confused, if he limped in front of you preflop why is he acting behind you on the turn and river?

iluzion
07-16-2005, 06:23 PM
you don't play poker.

jman220
07-16-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im inexperienced, so I dont know even what to do in what is im sure a common situation.
Im on the button, only one limp in front of me, and I see I have Ah Jh. I do know enough to know that theres few hands that will allow me to make more, so I raise knowing theres a good chance i have the best hand. Blinds fold, and the limper (villian) calls my raise. Flop is Kh 8s 7h so I bet, and the villian calls. 4th is 8c so I check fearing 8's or King but the villian checks on 4th too. River is a 4c. I check still fearing a slow play of a king, but the villian checks too, but he reveals a Qc 4d and wins the pot with the 4's even though I had by far the best starting hand and even the best flop. How do I avoid losing like this in the future? what would the right play of been?

[/ QUOTE ]

Button means you are last to act. You were not last to act, you weren't the button. Post this in small stakes or micro limit forum, if you want to get any decent responses. Assuming that you were not the button but mid position, the turn is an easy continuation bet, villain has shown no aggression so far, and at low limits a lot of donks will call a flop they've missed because its cheap to see the turn, but will give up on the turn.

dcarlc
07-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Villian called with Q 4 off. He made a pair of 4's. what makes you think he would fold ever?

dealer_toe
07-17-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you don't play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

best advice possible, seriously. Its true, and it makes the OP actually think.

jman220
07-17-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian called with Q 4 off. He made a pair of 4's. what makes you think he would fold ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's results oriented thinking. My advice is independent of the results, long term the way I advise playing it, (I think) is better than the way he played it. I don't think you should just give up on the turn like that. And in any event, hero is ahead on the turn, so the bet is correct even looking at the results.